What do you listen to your music on?

Had a bad case of "upgrade-itus" this past week. Bought a Yamaha sub that's big enough to eat you dinner round, and bought a second-hand Arcam FMJ A19 amp (so I'm putting the alpha 8R on ebay). Also bought another radio I don't need - Ruark R1 mk3. :neutral:

My favourite Clash album (not a popular opinion), takes me straight back to Xmas 1978.

Got Elastica on now which is also a very good punk album despite being labelled Britpop. So good the Stranglers and Wire nicked riffs from it ;)
Got Give em Enough rope for Xmas 78 too.
Never really took the time to listen to it , just blasted Tommy Gun out a few times. Wasn’t quite mature enough to appreciate albums.

22yr old Sony system with built in minidisc/cassette/cd player. Connected last years technics record player Xmas present to it but it needs to be turned up to 11 to hear it across the room. Need an amp I’d imagine but as I went 22yrs unable to play vinyl at all that’ll take a while. I’m like safc in my speed at reacting to developments....

I've got an mp3 player
Fcking amazing. If someone had told me twenty years ago i could have a hand held device which could hold my entire record collection and it would be affordable to the common man I would never have believed it.
Imagine it, three whole albums on that little device.

Its a bloody miracle

22yr old Sony system with built in minidisc/cassette/cd player. Connected last years technics record player Xmas present to it but it needs to be turned up to 11 to hear it across the room. Need an amp I’d imagine but as I went 22yrs unable to play vinyl at all that’ll take a while. I’m like safc in my speed at reacting to developments....

Bose QC35 headphones

JBL Charge 4 Speaker

I sold my stereo equipment because I hadn't taken a record out of it's sleeves for about 2 years. Although I regret it now.

The advice to buy another amplifier isn't necessarily quite correct, because you'd have to plug the speakers into that, thereby losing the functionality of the minidisc, cassette and CD players.

Record players have a lower output signal than other sources. In the olden days, when nearly everybody listened to records, amplifier manufacturers solved this problem by having a 'phono' channel. This phono channel was specifically to provide the extra signal boost required by the record player.

When records went out of fashion many manufacturers stopped including a dedicated phono channel.

So the simplest/cheapest solution for you is to buy a dedicated phono 'stage' or preamplifier. This will go between the record player and an input to your Sony system.

Something like this...

Pro-Ject Phono Box MM

Last edited:
Bose QC35 headphones

JBL Charge 4 Speaker

I sold my stereo equipment because I hadn't taken a record out of it's sleeves for about 2 years. Although I regret it now.
I have the QC35 II and the noise cancelling is truly incredible, the sound is crisp and clear but I do long for a touch more bass.

I have the QC35 II and the noise cancelling is truly incredible, the sound is crisp and clear but I do long for a touch more bass.

Yeah I agree, the only thing that could be improved on them is the bass.

Before the world fell apart, I used to fly quite a bit with work and the noise cancelling is ideal when you're on a long haul. It was the main reason I bought them.

Not meant as a pissing competition but I'm interested to know what you listen to your music on? Young Bresslaw just can't tell the advantages of my system over his Audio Pro T3 and iphone, the daugter is even worse - listens to music through her laptop speakers :(
At the moment I'm mainly listening to spotify, with my laptop connected to a TEAC UD-501 usb audio dac, Arcam Alpha 8r amp, Rega RX Three speakers. If m listening to cds It's connected to a NAD C 515BEE.

Logon or register to see this image
Look at me, I have a NAD C 515BEE, pathetic

Yeah I agree, the only thing that could be improved on them is the bass.

Before the world fell apart, I used to fly quite a bit with work and the noise cancelling is ideal when you're on a long haul. It was the main reason I bought them.
I've got the Bose in ear noise cancelling buds

Brilliant for long haul

Got a Samsung e-750 wireless speaker in the front room. A wonderboom speaker for the shower and for outside in the summer, and my girlfriend (nope) just got me a pair of bowers & wilkins px7’s for Christmas. Which is nice.

Back