What a pointless season though eh?

I honestly think the way things are going here over the last 10-12 games its doing real damage that we'll end up going into next season carrying the burden of

Thought we were doing OK until the club decided to bin TM off and replace him with Beale. And then managed to further curtail the season by letting Dodds run the show until the end of the season.

We looked incredible at times last season, beyone belief that what we are now watching has happened so fast.

How confident do you feel that we will bottom it out and come back stronger next season?.

Last season just papered over the cracks. Tony Mowbray was just a sticking plaster. After four seasons (it seemed like forty) in League One we were never in with a shout of actually pulling off anything closely resembling a surprise. We were never really in with a chance of being competitive straight away. Not like Ipswich Town are doing now. The standard of the teams in this league is so high that anyone coming up from four crippling years in League One that saps everything from you it is so hard to play well and do so consistently. Be so organised, reliable and efficient in the setup of the team and in it's play. No team can expect to be giant killers and beat strong teams weekly after spending four soul destroying years in League One. I said it a few times and was never believed. We need to be given time. Time to adapt and adjust to the quality of the Championships sides.

How confident do I feel that we will "bottom it out" and come back stronger next season? It depends on who we get and whether they can turn our players from pretenders to contenders. I don't mean contenders for promotion or anything. I just mean to something better than what they are now. If we can I can see us finishing much higher and winning more. We have 15 wins to our name this season. Away we have won 5 and at home we have won 10. We have scored 30 goals at home and 27 goals away. If we can beat that and if we can beat more of the better stronger sides more often then I can see us top 8. That is a comfortable Championship level side. I just want teams to fear us and think twice about going on message boards and forums and laughing at us like the mags do. That's the only reason why I want us to do well. Not for us. Not because I want us to be a strong Championship side. I want the laughing to stop.

Next season hinges completely on summer recruitment and the managerial appointment, even without Clarke if we get those right we should at least be able to finish top half and have a stab at the playoffs.

Not really pointless
It's the season we expected last year
We'd have took mid table ." Tough league,stability " etc
We all loved Beale when we won convincingly under him , for 3 days .
We have the core of a good side just need some quality in .

We will be in a relegation battle next season without a doubt.
If they continue on the same recruitment path then I fully believe your statement. I m not against Heckingbot getting it. Going for someone out of work now and appointing in them in the summer is just madness. Pretty much sums us up. Speakman and co need to stick to running academies.

Maybe this season has the potential to be positive in the long run (yes, straw clutching at its best here). If the way it has turned out makes KLD et al reflect and adjust the strategy, then we could benefit from it.
If we had ran close to the playoffs, maybe they would think they were on the right track but this fall off a cliff should make them think again.
Or they could double down and stick with the plan.

Not really pointless
It's the season we expected last year
We'd have took mid table ." Tough league,stability " etc
We all loved Beale when we won convincingly under him , for 3 days .
We have the core of a good side just need some quality in .
Not for me I really fancied us for the playoffs last season. Young vibrant side with a little steel and a front 4 who played better when teams came out and had a go. 2 great loans. We had another key ingredient which due to the total incompetence of those in charge has pretty much disappeared. Momentum. The squad that came up was more suited to this division than what we have now. Thereā€™s nothing outside of the starting 11.

Anyone is who is making predictions ā€™without a doubtā€™ are clearly idiotic. The whole experience of the last two seasons are things are not predictable.

The ownership has made some absolutely awful decisions over the past few months. But theyā€™ve also done some excellent things in recovering from the depths of when they took over.

The summer is massive, as we all realise. Weā€™re clearly not far from being an excellent, dynamic team. A good Head Coach and a few good signings could galvanise us to kick on and challenge towards the top.

And, at the same time, another poor choice of Head Coach and a failure to stengthen up front and central midfield, could have us struggling.

Anyone whoā€™s certain what will happen are really not paying much attention to the last couple of years.

Not for me I really fancied us for the playoffs last season. Young vibrant side with a little steel and a front 4 who played better when teams came out and had a go. 2 great loans. We had another key ingredient which due to the total incompetence of those in charge has pretty much disappeared. Momentum. The squad that came up was more suited to this division than what we have now. Thereā€™s nothing outside of the starting 11.
I'd go along with most of that but we crept up late season to win promotion so momentum, feel good etc only gets you so far after a summer break. Jumping straight out of this league is a massive ask of any team . The same players who were doing it have dipped . We have to include the 90 minutes football played if we're looking for blame and reasons

Maybe this season has the potential to be positive in the long run (yes, straw clutching at its best here). If the way it has turned out makes KLD et al reflect and adjust the strategy, then we could benefit from it.
If we had ran close to the playoffs, maybe they would think they were on the right track but this fall off a cliff should make them think again.
Or they could double down and stick with the plan.
Unfortunately I think it will be the latter.

Last season just papered over the cracks. Tony Mowbray was just a sticking plaster. After four seasons (it seemed like forty) in League One we were never in with a shout of actually pulling off anything closely resembling a surprise. We were never really in with a chance of being competitive straight away. Not like Ipswich Town are doing now. The standard of the teams in this league is so high that anyone coming up from four crippling years in League One that saps everything from you it is so hard to play well and do so consistently. Be so organised, reliable and efficient in the setup of the team and in it's play. No team can expect to be giant killers and beat strong teams weekly after spending four soul destroying years in League One. I said it a few times and was never believed. We need to be given time. Time to adapt and adjust to the quality of the Championships sides.

How confident do I feel that we will "bottom it out" and come back stronger next season? It depends on who we get and whether they can turn our players from pretenders to contenders. I don't mean contenders for promotion or anything. I just mean to something better than what they are now. If we can I can see us finishing much higher and winning more. We have 15 wins to our name this season. Away we have won 5 and at home we have won 10. We have scored 30 goals at home and 27 goals away. If we can beat that and if we can beat more of the better stronger sides more often then I can see us top 8. That is a comfortable Championship level side. I just want teams to fear us and think twice about going on message boards and forums and laughing at us like the mags do. That's the only reason why I want us to do well. Not for us. Not because I want us to be a strong Championship side. I want the laughing to stop.

Mowbray definately surprised a few with just how much he developed the side, that's no excuse for the club to not seize an unexpected opportunity at last seasons end and push on this.

The basics have been done badly and those who made the decisions should be answering questions as to why. total waste of a season, and outperforming expectations should not be used as a limit for moving forward. Just a convenient excuse.

If, as expected, we lose some of our better players, and we continue to deploy. ā€œthe modelā€ I think mid table is the best we can reasonably expect next season.

Back