What’s the worst place you’ve ever been to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supposedly rough as fuck too.

I was talking to an aussie refractory installer on site when he did a job at out site, he was telling me about working in Papua - the trucks from the mine went down a winding road and the locals used to jump in the back to nick the ore as they went down and sometimes didnt get out in time so were dumped into massive ore hoppers and killed. He said it was lawless and life was very cheap

Bang on with this here. Went on a whim to Mardi Gras in 1989 - we were students in at university in Washington DC. Drove down, got knicked twice for speeding, ended up in a cell briefly. Got there after 24 hours on the road with stops. Nowhere to kip at the busiest time of the year. Got digs sharing a room in a rat-infested house. f***ing stunk. Awful. No showers, junkies everywhere.

But we were were kids so fine.

Times Square in the 80s was rough as fuck, well the streets off it.

Downtown East Side in Vancouver is worse than anything I’ve seen. Worse than NO, DC, Ny, f***ing tragic. Love the city but that part of town is like nowt I’ve seen.

I can't remember where we were staying in the US but one of the rooms, you opened the door to go in and it just stunk of drugs. Massive burn marks in the bath where I presume crack and all sorts was going on. My fault really as booked it on the cheap but it looked alright on the internet. Never stayed anywhere like it. Memphis looked desperate, even during the day - we weren't out at night so didn't see what it was like then. New Orleans at night, gangs of homeless fellas, drunks and drug addicts hanging around under bridges approaching cars when they had stopped at lights or whatever. Obviously homeless fellas not a problem being approached, but blokes off their nuts on crack or whatever different story.

I spent a night in the Carter Hotel in 1989. My mate went to Liverpool Poly and visiting him there I’d met his college mate, a top lad from Belfast. That Summer he said he was gonna be in america same as me and out of the blue I got a call saying him and his mates were in New York. We had a class night out getting lashed round all the Irish Bars in Greenwich Village after which it was easier to just bunk in with the lads in their hotel room rather than try to find my way back to Long Island where I was staying.

I didn’t think much of it at the time but later found out that the lads had had their wallets nicked and not long after read a big expose in Spin magazine about the crack cocaine business in New York City, the epicentre of which was the Carter Hotel. Bodies found there, the works! It’s still going anarl although I’d like to think under new ownership and having had a clean out and a lick of paint!
:eek: didn’t know any of that. Looks like my hunch to get out of there ASAP could have been a good decision

Everywhere is what you make of it.
I couldn't believe that the gods had conspired to send me to such a shithole as Mohammedia in Morocco.
Six months down the line and I'd grown quite fond of the place and was a bit sad to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back