What’s the worst place you’ve ever been to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grangetown, Redcar
Second was a hotel just off Broadway in New York. Think it was called ‘Carter’ and ran by the dirtiest, rudest, obnoxious Thai people of all time. Lasted 10 mins and tried to check out but it was late so had to endure a night there. Wouldn’t get under covers of bed, use shower etc. Wedged a chair up against the inside of hotel door as it was like something out of a horror film. First time in NYC too
I spent a night in the Carter Hotel in 1989. My mate went to Liverpool Poly and visiting him there I’d met his college mate, a top lad from Belfast. That Summer he said he was gonna be in america same as me and out of the blue I got a call saying him and his mates were in New York. We had a class night out getting lashed round all the Irish Bars in Greenwich Village after which it was easier to just bunk in with the lads in their hotel room rather than try to find my way back to Long Island where I was staying.

I didn’t think much of it at the time but later found out that the lads had had their wallets nicked and not long after read a big expose in Spin magazine about the crack cocaine business in New York City, the epicentre of which was the Carter Hotel. Bodies found there, the works! It’s still going anarl although I’d like to think under new ownership and having had a clean out and a lick of paint!

I’ve been watching a lot of banged up abroad lately and got me thinking where is the worst place I’ve visited. I’ve not been too far a field but I went to Tunis a few years back, absolute dive and completely overridden with flies and just had a really eerie vibe
Washington building site portakabin toilets circa mid 1980s.Mid afternoon on a hot sunny day after a visit by the scaffolder fellas.

The cubicles air was very damaging to ones sense of smell.

'Harsh on the County Durham mining areas given that's a big part of this area's heritage. If that's the worst place you've been then you haven't been very far.

I have been to many places. It is by far the worst place in the country and that includes some of the worst estates in London I have had the misfortune to attend.
Cairo didn't have many redeeming features. India was poorer but friendly.

He's just being a prick, he's had training for it

Excellent, do carry on.

Last edited:
Off the beaten track in New Orleans is genuine 3rd world existence. There's nothing in this country compares to that. It was sad in some respects but dangerous at the same time. I got there about 5 in the morning and it reminded me of '80s documentaries on New York with the addition of shanty towns up the back streets. It's the only place I've ever been that I've thought I need to get to my hotel quickly or I'm going to be in serious bother. Well, there and Istanbul.
I absolutely love New Orleans. We usually hire bikes and ride into the hoods, its an eye opener but we’ve never Felt threatened.

Off the beaten track in New Orleans is genuine 3rd world existence. There's nothing in this country compares to that. It was sad in some respects but dangerous at the same time. I got there about 5 in the morning and it reminded me of '80s documentaries on New York with the addition of shanty towns up the back streets. It's the only place I've ever been that I've thought I need to get to my hotel quickly or I'm going to be in serious bother. Well, there and Istanbul.
Bang on with this here. Went on a whim to Mardi Gras in 1989 - we were students in at university in Washington DC. Drove down, got knicked twice for speeding, ended up in a cell briefly. Got there after 24 hours on the road with stops. Nowhere to kip at the busiest time of the year. Got digs sharing a room in a rat-infested house. f***ing stunk. Awful. No showers, junkies everywhere.

But we were were kids so fine.

Times Square in the 80s was rough as fuck, well the streets off it.

Downtown East Side in Vancouver is worse than anything I’ve seen. Worse than NO, DC, Ny, f***ing tragic. Love the city but that part of town is like nowt I’ve seen.

I spent a night in the Carter Hotel in 1989. My mate went to Liverpool Poly and visiting him there I’d met his college mate, a top lad from Belfast. That Summer he said he was gonna be in america same as me and out of the blue I got a call saying him and his mates were in New York. We had a class night out getting lashed round all the Irish Bars in Greenwich Village after which it was easier to just bunk in with the lads in their hotel room rather than try to find my way back to Long Island where I was staying.

I didn’t think much of it at the time but later found out that the lads had had their wallets nicked and not long after read a big expose in Spin magazine about the crack cocaine business in New York City, the epicentre of which was the Carter Hotel. Bodies found there, the works! It’s still going anarl although I’d like to think under new ownership and having had a clean out and a lick of paint!

Just looked it up on Google maps and one of the reviews says: “It was a room... Calling it a ghetto piece of S@$T would be disrespectful to ghettos.” :lol:

I played for a Saturday team in Stockton 25 odd years ago, we were due to play in Port Clarence, we turned up and the game was called off because a car was on fire in the middle of the pitch....I can't vouch for it now like, maybe its improved 🤷‍♂️

You just have to wonder if the Port Clarence fans go to the likes of Wynyard Village or Yarm & sing “Wynyard’s a shithole, I wanna go home”

Podgorica. Utter shit. Although it is a unique concept, to have a place with absolutely fuck all to do there.

It's dull but it's fine though. There are far worse cities in thst part of the world. There's a cracking vegan restaurant in Podgorica too and they pedestrianise their popular streets during the weekend evenings. Fairly progressive..

Clapham for me. Full of everyone you hated at university and a load of Australians. What a combo.

I'm in Campeche, Mexico at the minute and my fellow workers are horrified when I say I went out on a night. Fucked if I am staying in, it's not that bad. The back streets do the best drink deals (bars across the front of the shops). I went for a run tonight 35 f***ing degrees, I was blowing like a bellows.
Haggerston Castle, the only place I have ever packed up a day early and left.

My daughter and neices loved that place. Let them run about in the sun man, you don't have to go into the shitty 'complex'. Mind, it might have worsened since I was there. Last time would have been maybe 2005.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back