What’ll be the next iteration of “the big six”?

At the formation of the premier league the Big Five were
Man u
Arsenal
Liverpool
Spurs
Everton

We now have a Big Six of those, plus Man City and Chelsea and minus Everton

So realistically unless you are willing to spend billions theres no chance you’re going to infiltrate that

Spurs didn’t finish in top 5 for first 13 years of premier league

Everton only once finished in top half in first 10 years of premier league

I reckon Everton is the next to be relegated, of the lot who’ve never dropped from the premier league. Think it’ll be in the next half decade or so.

I think Chelsea will fall away eventually as well.
They will.
Chelsea are up for sale atm. No one willing to pay £2bn. RA must be insane if he thinks anyone will shell out that much for a club that needs money pumped in to keep its top six place. Eventually they’ll fall back to whence they came: the up and down world where they were regular yo-yo buddies with us, the mags, WHU, Leeds and Sheff Wed prior to the PLs formation and RAs need for fame. They’d only won the title once for a reason.

They will.
Chelsea are up for sale atm. No one willing to pay £2bn. RA must be insane if he thinks anyone will shell out that much for a club that needs money pumped in to keep its top six place. Eventually they’ll fall back to whence they came: the up and down world where they were regular yo-yo buddies with us, the mags, WHU, Leeds and Sheff Wed prior to the PLs formation and RAs need for fame. They’d only won the title once for a reason.
Correct

I still think they should split the premier and championship into north and south leagues of 22 teams each. Then at the end of the season the top six go into two legged playoffs, like the NFL. This could put and end to the dominance of the so called top six and share the money more fairly.

Champions league is reserved for the teams competing in the north/south title games, then the final could be north v south to win the premier league title at Wembley. Could generate immense global interest if they market it the right way.

Could do away with the league cup, boost the FA cup and EFL trophy as a result.

I’ve read some drivel on here over the years but this takes some beating.

Of course it’s a shite media construct, but six clubs are currently markedly more successful than the rest of the league. This won’t last forever though, a while ago it was a big 4, through the 90’s it was generally Man U with sporadic challenges from Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa, even our beloved rivals during those dark Keegan days.

What do people think the next marked shift at the top table will be? Will a team like Wolves, Everton or Leicester ever consistently make the step up? Or will one of current 6 hit the skids? The way that the bigger clubs continue to hoover up money it seems an unlikely scenario, if ever Abramovich had to sell up though, or Spurs lose Pochettino and find another Christian Gross..
Pompey.

Massive according to their fanbase on here.

I’ve read some drivel on here over the years but this takes some beating.
Assumed it was a joke, mind.

At the formation of the premier league the Big Five were
Man u
Arsenal
Liverpool
Spurs
Everton

We now have a Big Six of those, plus Man City and Chelsea and minus Everton

So realistically unless you are willing to spend billions theres no chance you’re going to infiltrate that
Even at the time I never understood how Spurs got included in the "big five" just before the Sky era. Probably just by being rivals of Arsenal.

Last edited:
Spurs didn’t finish in top 5 for first 13 years of premier league

Everton only once finished in top half in first 10 years of premier league
Assumed it was a joke, mind.

Even at the time I never understood how Spurs got included in the "big five" just before the Sky era. Probably just by being rivals of Arsenal.
I think around 1992 the ‘big 5’ were named not so because of their league finishes like today but rather their financial pull.
I reckon Everton is the next to be relegated, of the lot who’ve never dropped from the premier league. Think it’ll be in the next half decade or so.

I think Chelsea will fall away eventually as well.
Everton playing in the championship would be unthinkable but I agree I think it’ll happen, like Villa and the vermin in 2009 when it does come it probably won’t be a shock as it’ll have been on the cards a few seasons, Everton are going to have big issues given they are unlikely to make a profit on any of their major buys over the last 5 years.

Arsenal and possibly Chelsea could struggle to get back in to the top four for some time and could even fall away. Wolves are interesting. Watching them with interest. They obviously need to keep Mendes and the manager keen, but it looks to have foundations behind it

I still think they should split the premier and championship into north and south leagues of 22 teams each. Then at the end of the season the top six go into two legged playoffs, like the NFL. This could put and end to the dominance of the so called top six and share the money more fairly.

Champions league is reserved for the teams competing in the north/south title games, then the final could be north v south to win the premier league title at Wembley. Could generate immense global interest if they market it the right way.

Bonkers. All of it

I think around 1992 the ‘big 5’ were named not so because of their league finishes like today but rather their financial pull.

Everton playing in the championship would be unthinkable but I agree I think it’ll happen, like Villa and the vermin in 2009 when it does come it probably won’t be a shock as it’ll have been on the cards a few seasons, Everton are going to have big issues given they are unlikely to make a profit on any of their major buys over the last 5 years.

The Big Five were the group of 5 clubs who pushed for reform of the Football League leading to what is now the Premier League. As you say, they were the ones who stood to benefit most by new model. Irvine Scholar at Spurs and Phil Carter/Peter Johnson at Everton largely messed it up which is why they were poor through the 90s and early 00s.

Can't see Everton going down. Even at their worst they've not finished below 11th for 15 odd seasons. It would take many acts of gross ineptitude to even come close.

Arsenal and possibly Chelsea could struggle to get back in to the top four for some time and could even fall away. Wolves are interesting. Watching them with interest. They obviously need to keep Mendes and the manager keen, but it looks to have foundations behind it
Their academy is on the up in a big way, see them through work a lot and they’re as good as anyone off the pitch and getting better. Think they’ll be solid premier league stayers for a long time to come.

This is a mad idea but I actually quite like it. I'd probably prefer the current set up but if they have a reshuffle this gets my vote!

Chelsea and man city were nothing teams until fairly recently.

Spurs are pretty irrelevant historically, they even managed to finish third in a two horse race with Leicester.

This is a mad idea but I actually quite like it. I'd probably prefer the current set up but if they have a reshuffle this gets my vote!

Surely two of City, Liverpool & Utd would contest the Northern Championship game; and the same with Spurs, Arsenal & Chelsea with the Southern Championship game. They'd have to be generationally bad versions of those clubs not to make the play-offs. The top 2 would get to play their play-off at home if it works like the NFL, giving everyone else even less chance.

For example, a United side that was somehow the sixth best team in the northern regular season would find itself 3 games from the English football "Super Bowl". As the table currently stands the 6th placed northern team Everton - assuming Leicester & Wolves end up in the northern conference - would have to win at Old Trafford, Anfield then the Etihad on consecutive weekends just to make the final.

The only real way shake things up is to change how money is distributed, not the competition format.

Back