What’ll be the next iteration of “the big six”?

Of course it’s a shite media construct, but six clubs are currently markedly more successful than the rest of the league. This won’t last forever though, a while ago it was a big 4, through the 90’s it was generally Man U with sporadic challenges from Arsenal, Liverpool, Villa, even our beloved rivals during those dark Keegan days.

What do people think the next marked shift at the top table will be? Will a team like Wolves, Everton or Leicester ever consistently make the step up? Or will one of current 6 hit the skids? The way that the bigger clubs continue to hoover up money it seems an unlikely scenario, if ever Abramovich had to sell up though, or Spurs lose Pochettino and find another Christian Gross..
Depends on multi multi billionaire owners i suppose, need mega miney now to constantly stay there

This is why the Status Quo will be maintained for the foreseeable future: the rich keep getting richer,and so the gap between them and The Rest gets bigger every year.
It is/always was about the money; now there's just more of it, and faster.
The days of, say, a Clough building an unfashionable club into English/European champions is a thing of the past.
This!

It's now even easier for the 6 clubs at the top to attract a player ahead of any club below them, unless those teams pay over the odds to the player. Unless a team of unknowns suddenly appear then I can't see a Leicester happening again very soon. Plus that 2015-16 season the league wasn't as high scoring as it usually is as 2nd place only had 71 points, it's just all the big teams had an off season.

The gap between the 'big 6' and the rest the next season 2016-17 was 8 points then 9 points in 2017-18 but it's currently 13 points this season with 8 games left just showing how big the gulf is growing!

The huge millions in the game now mean the top clubs can throw silly money at players whereas the likes of anyone below the top 6 would struggle to match even part of that now. You just have to look at Spurs now as their revenue while being at the top has improved in the last few years. The gap to the top now is just increasing each year and it probably a bigger % increase too.

Logon or register to see this image

Matchday revenue for 2017 also shows the gap and I'm suprised that Man City aren't that high but this is 2 years ago now. Spurs will no doubt go up even more next season in new stadium as their prices are ridiculous.

The same goes for the Commercial revenue and again there's huge gaps. No doubt Spurs will have grown since then too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even looking at the shirt sponsors revenue as another example of how the 'big 6' make millions more than the rest. Hoy in the global market and any other revenue generating avenue and again it will be the top 6 raking it in dwarfing the rest.

Football at the top is shite now unless you support the 'big 6' and it's only going to get worse like it most seasons.

It's just a case of try and survive for the rest and as happened with us, investing poorly in players can cost you big time. I don't know if we'll ever get back up there to compete and spend the millions again as won't FFP stop a rich awab coming in and wasting millions?

Here's a shitty Excel graph showing the revenue from this link below. You can see the blue isn't that varied as it's the TV revenue. The 2 sections that are matchday (red) and commerical (green) are huge for the 'big 6' when added together compared to the rest and this is the gulf. Orange is other revenue and Leicester's was the £70m they got from Champions League so was a one off.

Premier League finances: the full club-by-club breakdown and verdict

Last edited by a moderator:
Even looking at the shirt sponsors revenue as another example of how the 'big 6' make millions more than the rest. Hoy in the global market and any other revenue generating avenue and again it will be the top 6 raking it in dwarfing the rest.

Football at the top is shite now unless you support the 'big 6' and it's only going to get worse like it most seasons.

It's just a case of try and survive for the rest and as happened with us, investing poorly in players can cost you big time. I don't know if we'll ever get back up there to compete and spend the millions again as won't FFP stop a rich awab coming in and wasting millions?

Here's a shitty Excel graph showing the revenue from this link below. You can see the blue isn't that varied as it's the TV revenue. The 2 sections that are matchday (red) and commerical (green) are huge for the 'big 6' when added together compared to the rest and this is the gulf. Orange is other revenue and Leicester's was the £70m they got from Champions League so was a one off.

I saw that post with the analysis and didn’t even have to look at who posted it. :lol:

This.^^^

It makes you wonder "what's the point of it all?".
Speaking personally, I've almost lost interest in the PL other than the relegation issues.
But even looking at that, you can see its just clubs desperate to hang onto the "revenue stream" with no other ambition than that because, realistically, its financially beyond them and virtually always will be.

The more we're out the less I miss the top league Give it another 10 years and we'll have premier league games from New York at 3am in the morning :rolleyes:

Back