Wetherspoons

If they've had a stricter lockdown would that not mean there's as much chance of us partially opening pubs too? Surely we've had a more relaxed attitude if that's the case? Mind personal opinion is that it won't happen as soon as June .
I'm just reading the tea leaves like anyone else but to my mind government have been very clear not to expect anything without social distancing going forward and they've been very quick to stamp out idea that lockdown can end soon, let alone other stuff starting up again

I just meant that with Spain having had a tighter lockdown their curve isnt as steep. A looser lockdown here looks like its lead to a steeper curve, meaning longer required to flatten it out.

Generally at the moment the pattern seems to be harsher measures lead to quicker recovery, less strict measures lead to more prolonged state of change.

It’ll be a cauld day in hell afore I go back to one of those.
There's a few who have tried it on through this. I was talking to my mate who is a self employed plasterer. He's got some outside work that he can get on with next week so he's happy to crack on. When it first kicked off he says people started stock piling gear, mainly bags of finish because they knew British Gypsum were closing down. Some suppliers were chucking 3-4 quid on a bag of plaster and doubled the price of latex gloves. He was saying loads will remember it and not use them again.

You'll have to book a table like a restaurant and have drinks served at the table; nae nursing the same pint for two hours either, I'd imagine.

Queues outside the door.

Can't see it working reducing allocation. Jamesons is full of old people and pissheads, there will be riots if one can get in but the other can't.

Last edited:
They have some advantages in that some of those premises are huge so they could reduce capacity and social distance people easier than your local boozer
Imagine the carnage the first weekend they are open though! They may have to operate a table-booking system rather than the usual free for all

The chief executive of one of the big chains (think it was Fullers or Greene King) was on the TV the other day saying it would probably cost the company more to open its pubs complying with social distancing than to keep them shut.

Back