West Indies 🏝️ v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 3rd test

I honestly think people take for granted that we barely ever lose at home. Its like a given now. It didnt use to be.

Eh? fast bowlers get injured, what you on about? :confused:
I don’t think Root is a terrible captain and he isn’t responsible for every injury a bowler gets but he hasn’t managed them very well at times, was a bit better this series because he finally backed his spinner and the quicks could rest

I don’t think Root is a terrible captain and he isn’t responsible for every injury a bowler gets but he hasn’t managed them very well at times, was a bit better this series because he finally backed his spinner and the quicks could rest

Its based off one test in NZ with Archer like. Its like a strange flash point in English cricket that the captain gets criticised for bowling his bowlers. I mean its their job.

You pick Wood and Stokes right, and then get told they cant bowl them.

I dont know a team in the world that doesnt get injuries to fast bowlers like. Aussies get less I guess but they play half the test match cricket we do, probably even less than that

its more a example of the ridiculous schedule we have more than anything

I think Leach is one of the few positives to come from this tour. He still isn't a threat and won't bowl sides out, but he can take a couple wickets and he's low maintenance and can hold down an end, no fuss.

I'd still rather have a more attacking spinner but in the absence of that, Leachy has done OK

Aye anah, lad has had problems all his life. Bowling 90mph is such an unnatural thing to do on your body, you will get injured,

Probs try to blame England for Mills back injuries next
Wood was injury prone before England as well also Robinson has to take a large part of responsibility for his fitness as well

Its based off one test in NZ with Archer like. Its like a strange flash point in English cricket that the captain gets criticised for bowling his bowlers. I mean its their job.

You pick Wood and Stokes right, and then get told they cant bowl them.

I dont know a team in the world that doesnt get injuries to fast bowlers like. Aussies get less I guess but they play half the test match cricket we do, probably even less than that

its more a example of the ridiculous schedule we have more than anything
Asking Stokes to bowl a long spell of short pitch bowling in the first test against Australia when he wasn’t fit. Kept going to Wood (our biggest asset) in the 4th test when Australia were setting up a declaration. 4th test against India when he bowled Jimmy, Woakes and Robinson 30+ overs each instead of using his spinner or himself. Hopefully Leach is backed going forward as he has done this tour

I think Leach is one of the few positives to come from this tour. He still isn't a threat and won't bowl sides out, but he can take a couple wickets and he's low maintenance and can hold down an end, no fuss.

I'd still rather have a more attacking spinner but in the absence of that, Leachy has done OK
Yeah I like him, think he did well this tour

Asking Stokes to bowl a long spell of short pitch bowling in the first test against Australia when he wasn’t fit. Kept going to Wood (our biggest asset) in the 4th test when Australia were setting up a declaration. 4th test against India when he bowled Jimmy, Woakes and Robinson 30+ overs each instead of using his spinner or himself. Hopefully Leach is backed going forward as he has done this tour

Yeah I like him, think he did well this tour

Again, so we just dont bowl our bowlers?
Wood was injury prone before England as well also Robinson has to take a large part of responsibility for his fitness as well

Exactly, Wood been injured his whole career.

Again, so we just dont bowl our bowlers?

Exactly, Wood been injured his whole career.
It's just a bit tiresome every injury isn't because of root etc and stokes is a big personality if he really was too injured to bowl I'm sure he could have said no like everything it's a balance some people are injury prone and some could have been managed better.

Personally I think the criticism of Root is a bit over the top.

Our one world class batsman and totally handicapped by the players available especially the batsman.

Unfortunately for Root he has captained at one of the worst times for quality of test batsman ever in this country.

Sometimes a captain is only as good as his players and boy our test players are bad.

Mind he definitely should not escape criticism for the ridiculous dropping of Broad and Anderson.
It is over the top and it's not as if there's an outstanding captain waiting in the wings to take over. He's supposed to have a head coach to support him and that support has been non existent plus he can't be held responsible for the number of injuries to his bowlers,their welfare and fitness is down to the individual and the medical staff but we won't have a groudhog day on that issue.

Cricket is a beautiful sport. A joy to watch on tv and at the ground. But the way he effortlessly displays love for England and the sport on the whole is a skill that can’t be taught. He’s just Lord Gower. Wish I’d had a chance to watch him play

Sky thinks it needs to be young and hip! It just needs to be right. I’m 37 I’m not old, but I miss Gower and Beefy. They have a skill set that isn’t defined by age or in need of a target audience. That said sky’s commentary line up is excellent still but it was better than it is now

I notice Swann is on the Advert for the 100!

No chance, he still had all his players playing full seasons of red ball cricket like

Love Athers but Root has done so much more than him as captain

this is the kind of over the top things I am talking about

Same with Ben Foakes, he was appalling.

Worse than Buttler.

Just goes to show we shouldnt listen to the social media trolls when they demand someone in.

Exactly, its ridiculous man, now being labelled the "worst captain of all time" by the usual trolls :lol::lol:, forgetting all the series he has won.

I'd have picked Jimmy, but its kind of missing the point everyone jumping on that, we lost the series because the batting collapsed twice, again.

I dunno why Nasser n them are focusing on Anderson, remember he has played on loads of tours here and we aint won.

Root should go, but he has lost 1 series at home in his entire captaincy, and that was without 3 or 4 at the IPL.

I mean when I was a kid we lost most series at home, people have short memories.

It’s all well and good getting on your high horse about people going over the top (it’s not going over the top to say Atherton was faced with more structural issues than Root for goodness sake) but when the rest of your post is riddled with histrionics you don’t particular help yourself. You’re throwing criticism at Foakes and Internet trolls in a much spikier fashion than any of the criticism I have aimed at Root.

England have won 1 in 17 matches. 0 series out of 5. Thats unprecedented in English test cricket history. There’s nothing wrong with maintaining a position and standing by it but when nearly every pundit, journalist and former player is taking a different view to you it may be the case that you’re wrong.

Vultures are circling now in the media I think. Gower, Agnew, Butcher, Vaughan..

Root's time is up and I think that's right for the team and him.

I don't necessarily think they're vultures as they're sharing opinions lots of people have held for a while now. Even Atherton was sharing articles about Root last night.

However. I do think rather than go after him publicly, they should be advising him directly. Im sure they're all mates as international cricket seems like a tight knit circle

I don't necessarily think they're vultures as they're sharing opinions lots of people have held for a while now. Even Atherton was sharing articles about Root last night.

However. I do think rather than go after him publicly, they should be advising him directly. Im sure they're all mates as international cricket seems like a tight knit circle

Vultures is a strong word but ultimately it will be perceived this way.

Vultures is a strong word but ultimately it will be perceived this way.

They’re people who care about English cricket. I think Atherton’s position is key. He’s a former captain and chief cricket writer at the Times. That carries a lot of weight. You can tell how poor he thinks it was that everyone went after the Ashes but Root kept the captaincy. Him staying would have possibly been vindicated with a series win or even draw in West Indies (had we won a test well) but now the position that Root should have resigned pre series has been vindicated.

They’re people who care about English cricket. I think Atherton’s position is key. He’s a former captain and chief cricket writer at the Times. That carries a lot of weight. You can tell how poor he thinks it was that everyone went after the Ashes but Root kept the captaincy. Him staying would have possibly been vindicated with a series win or even draw in West Indies (had we won a test well) but now the position that Root should have resigned pre series has been vindicated.

Agree - I have no issues with them calling for change tbh, they are in the main, people with strong cricket brains and have offered a lot to the English game. It's concerning for Root who seems so keen to hang on to the captaincy, that there now seems to be growing momentum in the cricketing press for him to go.

Back