Were the 1980s the last great decade for music?

In music, go through the decades & upto probably the 90's (maybe early 00's) there's always been a scene / new genre. The last 20 years, there's been nowt new.
Not true though. In the last decade or so you've had the emergence of drill, trap, dubstep, synthwave/vapourwave and hyperpop. All of which have established artists, many who are mainstream (e.g. Skrillex, Charli XCX).

Not true though. In the last decade or so you've had the emergence of drill, trap, dubstep, synthwave/vapourwave and hyperpop. All of which have established artists, many who are mainstream (e.g. Skrillex, Charli XCX).

They're just sub genres of existing stuff really. The differences in style are minute.

The early 80's was outstanding as all the excitement coming from the 70's through technology and punk etc just flourishing, and there may never be another musical period like it.
The back end was meh.
80s back end would have been meh for me, but fortunately I was fully engaged in Acid House/rave, one of the great youth uk subcultures, hip hop scene produced a lot of great stuff too, for me magical not meh.

Back