Were the 1980s the last great decade for music?

You put the premise forward, you need to support/prove it, not me, I could claim anything and have you try and disprove it otherwise it's true. That's not how arguments are put forward.

I've defied it, it's guitar, bass, drums, arctic monkey-esque heavily accented girl vocal, what is new about it ?
Combinations of genres are not new and this is just bang average & instantly forgettable m8, I was looking forward to hearing something new/special but am disappointed with your piss-poor recommendation tbh.

so you’ve not listened.

so you’ve not listened.

Yes I have, you recommended it, I listened to the album (plus others) on spotify like I said earlier and was unimpressed, said so and you have failed to tell me how this is ... and let me quote you here ..

say that it’s shite or not at all new, creative

It's not new, or especially creative, it's all been done before, Nearly Daffodils sounds like Bloc Party, the female vocals sound like Echobelly, the heavy accent vocal was done by Arctic Monkeys most recently.

It's not new and or creative, or even very good imo.

I'm claiming Elvis for the seventies then.:)
But let's face it all Blues belongs in the 1920s with Delta Blues and Country Blues (Texas Blues and Memphis Blues). Ok it shifted to West Coast Blues and then Chicago Blues from which British Blues developed in the 1960s but that clearly must be considered to be a 1920s genre. Then again Baby Please Don't Go is thought to have originated in the 1800s so it all just 19th Century music really.....Gospel?

:lol: Do you even have a clue what you're waffling on about yourself?

Do you not recognise DAW technology as being an new toy/instrument ?

You haven't a clue pal, if Bob Dylan played a skiffle board your cream your pants but youngins using technology you don't recognise, you're just old, stubborn and ignorant :rolleyes:

It’s also a bit rich when they even covered Elvis who basically covered a load of existing tunes.
The PSB's version of 'You were always on my mind' was never intended for general release.

It was created in 1987 for a TV show commemorating the tenth anniversary of Elvis's death where various popular bands were asked to come up with cover versions of his hits.

After the show was aired, their version of that particular record was so well received that they decided to release it. It ended up as the Christmas number one if memory serves correctly.

Do you not recognise DAW technology as being an new toy/instrument ?

You haven't a clue pal, if Bob Dylan played a skiffle board your cream your pants but youngins using technology you don't recognise, you're just old, stubborn and ignorant :rolleyes:
It's an advancement of existing instrumentation ya gonk. It's not producing any sounds we haven't heard before. Electronic instrumentation was the last development in making music, and it happened decades ago.

How old d'ya think I am like? :lol:

Last edited:
It's an advancement of existing instrumentation ya gonk.

Every instrument is ya dumb gonk !

There are no instruments required, not like a keyboard you would use with a synth in the 80's

It's not producing any sounds we haven't heard before.

It absolutely makes sounds you've never heard before on ANY existing instrument !

How old d'ya think I am like?

Old enough to be senile, clearly.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I defy anyone to sit and listen to English Teacher’s debut album that was just released yesterday and say that it’s shite or not at all new, creative or really skilled in its musicianship or Yard Act’s first two albums (especially their second) and not hear the talent or diversity of sound through the two albums.

Great new music is always if you can be arsed to find it. I had a decade after about 2006 where I couldn’t be arsed but there’s some really great new bands and artists kicking about at present.

I've listened to this track and I get the premise; she's of Indian origin and the video is shot in the UK possibly west Yorkshire. Apart from that it does nothing for me. If you can explain to me why its great please do.

Love 80s music! Absolute fuck tonne of class songs to choose from, if you choose wisely!
But the 90s edges it for me! My favourite decade for music by far!

The 50s and 60s revolutionised music but I think the seventies were the last great decade.
The eighties had some very good stuff but nothing like the seventies. Glam rock, disco and northern soul became a bigger thing in the UK. Punk and the start of new romantics. The black and white sound and there'll be others if I give it more thought.
Bands like Queen and The Jam we still listen to today. I'm wondering who from today's music will still be played in 50 years time. All decades have had something good about them, but for me it started to dwindle after the seventies.
I turned 12 in 1970 and 21 in 1979 so these were my years .

Of course we didn’t know it at the time but it was a fabulous time to be young and alive. What was fairly unique - and started in the 60s was that there were fashion styles that were totally bonded to the musical genre- I was skinhead / suedehead early 70s and just dismissed rock and heavy metal . Morphed into Northern Soul then real disco … then mod revival and jazz funk.

That said I had an ear for Fleetwood Mac , Steely Dan , Meatloaf, The Eagles , Dobie Brothers and many more.

What a fabulous decade.

The eighties were the most innovative for music easily. So much variation in styles, partly due to the technology created in that decade. Also the era when hip-hop, electro, house and techno burst through so it's a no brainer.

True. There’s always been shit stuff and good stuff both in “the charts” and not “in the charts”. it’s just that 20 or 30 years later people tend to forget the shit stuff and remember the good stuff that’s “stood the test of time”.

There was however an analysis published recently that proved on average that there are both less words AND less different words used in charting songs these days than previously as well as more repetition of words. I can’t remember the periods analysed tbh. You’ve may have noticed this yersel wot with yer being a chap who warbles for wonga?
Charts are finished
Creativity isn't pulled there any more
It's anti charts if anything ,even nice accessible music doesn't court them

Aye, which is fine, I think it's natural to stick to what you know. The 90s are revered on here but that's almost entirely due to the majority of posters being in their 20s at the time and associating that music with better times and nights out. :) Pretty much everyone will say that their own decade between 18-28 was the best.

I think Tennant makes an interesting argument but I disagree with it. He needs to subscribe to @Arkle's weekly updates!

I'm sure there'll be new bands our there that most will like. However, they'll like them because it's similar to other bands / older stuff.

There is a valid point around originality. I guess there's only so much you can do with a finite set of notes, and pretty much what can be done has been done before. It's a similar problem in Hollywood, most of the films coming out are either sequels, reboots, super hero films, based on true story, etc. The amount of original story telling has massively declined.

In music, go through the decades & upto probably the 90's (maybe early 00's) there's always been a scene / new genre. The last 20 years, there's been nowt new. Record companies no longer invest in bands. Because of this & streaming, bands don't last long & give up.

It wouldn't surprise me if the older bands are still the biggest sellers

I've just had a quick look at the album charts charts & quite a lot of older stuff in there, ABBA & Fleetwood mac greatest hits in to 20. Queen & Bob marley in top 30. ABBA, Queen & bob marley albums have clocked almost 65 years on the charts between them

Last edited:

Back