Were the 1980s the last great decade for music?

i’m at an age where I reminisce about my younger days and the things that were around at the time. I was 13 in 1980 so the 80’s and 90’s were my era for going out with my mates clubbing etc. May be rose coloured specs but i love 80s music, cheese and all.
Did our new house up last summer and me and my Wife played heart 80’s & heart 90’s for 2 months solid, the tunes we had forgotten we loved were endless, got us through some really hard, long working days bopping along to it all.
Whether it is better or worse than any other decade is down to age i think, like a lot of things, sweets, food, movies, cars, toys etc. You naturally love the things that surrounded you when you were younger and look back with fond memories when you get older.
Now where’s my Evil Knievel stunt cycle gone to.

I think statements like that just illustrate how out of touch he is with music in 2024. While the charts are now loaded with rubbish, there's a wealth of talent making music across the world in all sorts of genres, including pushing new ones. You have to go looking for it, but it's there.

Anyone else saying that music is crap these days has also just become lazy and given up trying to find music they like imo.

Absolutely. I defy anyone to sit and listen to English Teacher’s debut album that was just released yesterday and say that it’s shite or not at all new, creative or really skilled in its musicianship or Yard Act’s first two albums (especially their second) and not hear the talent or diversity of sound through the two albums.

Great new music is always if you can be arsed to find it. I had a decade after about 2006 where I couldn’t be arsed but there’s some really great new bands and artists kicking about at present.

The 80s were the last great decade for music for people who were young in the 80s.
The 2020s may be a great decade for music but because I'm not young I just can't hear it.

listen to English Teacher’s debut album that was just released yesterday and say that it’s shite or not at all new

It's not new, or original, not even close, it sounds like Echobelly -

The thing with being older is that you've heard this all before and because it was original (compared to modern) it never really compares.

It's not new, or original, not even close, it sounds like Echobelly -

The thing with being older is that you've heard this all before and because it was original (compared to modern) it never really compares.

Have you listened to the album? Because I also remember and have seen Echobelly. And they’re nowt alike.

The song you’ve hoyed up doesn’t even sounds like anything on the album. From the arrangements, the guitar sound, the lyrics. I will however give you that they have both female vocalists and string instruments. Not a million mile away from Lesley Garrett

Last edited:
Have you listened to the album? Because I also remember and have seen Echobelly. And they’re nowt alike.

The song you’ve hoyed up doesn’t even sounds like anything on the album. From the arrangements, the guitar sound, the lyrics. I will however give you that they have both female vocalists and string instruments. Not a million mile away from Lesley Garrett

It's on spotify and it instantly reminded me of Echobelly - there's nothing new about it m8, nothing.

Let's face it all popular music is based on dance which is hundreds if not thousands of years old so none of it is new. It's all variations on a theme.

Last edited:
The 90s were the beginning of the heritage mining. Oasis were inspired by The Beatles, Blur by The Kinks.

Britpop as a whole was an effort to repeat the British Invasion of the 1960s, and many of the cues came from the earlier bands.

Started in the late 1980s.
Happened in the 70s and 80s too - band mining ska, reggae, and had the mod revival etc.

Well the argument you put forward was wrong, the lack of perseverance on your part kinds speaks volumes. You can't even tell me anything that's "new" about it !

You haven’t put any argument forward whatsoever aside from saying it’s not new!

I maintain that the musical arrangements are entirely different to what you would hear on any Echobelly album. The guitars aren’t as rock based, they’re more angular, there are also acoustic and piano arrangements on the album that are different to most ‘guitar bands’ you hear. The lyrics are very different to Echobelly, as is the delivery (English teacher very northern, Echobelly very southern).

If you adjudge new to be devoid of any influence of any previous genre, then no. It’s not. That’s impossible. But there are combinations of genres on the songs on this album that are interesting and contemporary.

I know the album is on Spotify, but have you listened to it in its entirety?

The early 80's was outstanding as all the excitement coming from the 70's through technology and punk etc just flourishing, and there may never be another musical period like it.
The back end was meh.

The 50s and 60s revolutionised music but I think the seventies were the last great decade.
The eighties had some very good stuff but nothing like the seventies. Glam rock, disco and northern soul became a bigger thing in the UK. Punk and the start of new romantics. The black and white sound and there'll be others if I give it more thought.
Bands like Queen and The Jam we still listen to today. I'm wondering who from today's music will still be played in 50 years time. All decades have had something good about them, but for me it started to dwindle after the seventies.

Last edited:
The early 80's was outstanding as all the excitement coming from the 70's through technology and punk etc just flourishing, and there may never be another musical period like it.
The back end was meh.

Yes , SAW ruined everything. Kylie and Jason were pretty much a low point in music.

You haven’t put any argument forward whatsoever aside from saying it’s not new!

I maintain that the musical arrangements are entirely different to what you would hear on any Echobelly album. The guitars aren’t as rock based, they’re more angular, there are also acoustic and piano arrangements on the album that are different to most ‘guitar bands’ you hear. The lyrics are very different to Echobelly, as is the delivery (English teacher very northern, Echobelly very southern).

If you adjudge new to be devoid of any influence of any previous genre, then no. It’s not. That’s impossible. But there are combinations of genres on the songs on this album that are interesting and contemporary.

I know the album is on Spotify, but have you listened to it in its entirety?

You put the premise forward, you need to support/prove it, not me, I could claim anything and have you try and disprove it otherwise it's true. That's not how arguments are put forward.

I defy anyone to sit and listen to English Teacher’s debut album that was just released yesterday and say that it’s shite or not at all new

I've defied it, it's guitar, bass, drums, arctic monkey-esque heavily accented girl vocal, what is new about it ?
Combinations of genres are not new and this is just bang average & instantly forgettable m8, I was looking forward to hearing something new/special but am disappointed with your piss-poor recommendation tbh.

Back