Were teachers in the 60s like the Spanish inquisition?

Too many nonces getting to live out their BDSM fantasies with children, too many inadequates with shit lives working out their frustrations by bullying and beating children who - unlike everyone else they wouldn't say boo to - couldn't answer or fight back, not enough teachers who had the personality and skills to control a classroom without lifting a finger. CP was giving them a licence to enjoy all that.

I couldn't imagine teachers today like they were back in the 60s, they must have been proper left wing twats using the cane or shoe and I bet they didn't even think twice about doing it.

Aye, those damn left-wing Spanish Inquisition folks.
...with their liberal tolerant attitudes towards other people's religions.

Last edited:
In the 80’s St Aidans enabled a significant number of bullies to terrify children
I went there in the 60's. The Christian Brothers certainly then had a number of active sexual predators whilst the strap was dished out with tiresome regularity. I just closed down and emerged from the trauma in my mid thirties. I've often thought especially amongst the Brothers how anyone thought it would be a good idea to entrust young lads to their care. Things were very different then. I saw an interview with the then Head of the Order once, a doddery old thing, who thought child psychology had no place in education, that pupils only understood fear and dread.

I went there in the 60's. The Christian Brothers certainly then had a number of active sexual predators whilst the strap was dished out with tiresome regularity. I just closed down and emerged from the trauma in my mid thirties. I've often thought especially amongst the Brothers how anyone thought it would be a good idea to entrust young lads to their care. Things were very different then. I saw an interview with the then Head of the Order once, a doddery old thing, who thought child psychology had no place in education, that pupils only understood fear and dread.
Funnily enough by then the brothers were eccentric by then and not predatory. In fact there was a younger one who presented as a normal bloke . There was a cohort of Middle aged male teachers who were at best bullies and predatory with regard to violence and enjoying the power imbalance. My first year coincided with the last year of corporal punishment so I saw the strap used numerous times . I struggle to see the motivation for a grown man to use a piece of leather as physical punishment on a pre pubescent boy . Horrible angry men abusing children

Sixth form prefects were given freedom to police the Monkey House in the early 60s. They were a willing disciplinary arm for the teachers. No questions asked. It is probable that the toughest male teachers were suffering from what we now call ptsd. Not an excuse but an explanation. Six of the best from the deputy head twice, one well earned the other based on being wrongly identified for an off_school incident in Sea Road.

Sixth form prefects were given freedom to police the Monkey House in the early 60s. They were a willing disciplinary arm for the teachers. No questions asked. It is probable that the toughest male teachers were suffering from what we now call ptsd. Not an excuse but an explanation. Six of the best from the deputy head twice, one well earned the other based on being wrongly identified for an off_school incident in Sea Road.
I guess that there must have been a lot of people who'd gone through the war that were suffering from undiagnosed ptsd. And not just ex-service men and women but civilians too. Stories of them as tots being caught up in the bombing raids. Some would have gone into the education system.
I suppose for many of us it wasn't just the beatings but those sudden explosions of inexplicable anger and then the almost psychotic rage that followed.

I think you have given a valuable insight.

God, what a mess we make of the World.

Think i've told this before on another thread, mid 70's, classics lesson, whoopyfuckingdoo, we're all sat waiting, teacher storms in five minutes late, hoys his briefcase in the general direction of his desk then tells someone to pick it up NOW.

There's two first years in the wrong classroom and several people have tried telling psycho phil about it, he's not interested.

One of the little 'uns plucks up the courage to say something, gets screamed at but props to the kid he stands up to leave and find his lesson.

Teacher rushed the three rows back, kicks the chair out of the way and punches this kid who flew over the desks in the second row.

Two other teachers came rushing in and manhandled us towards the assembly hall while the "situation" was sorted.

Still in his job the next week as we sat down for another hour of threats of violence and those sophisticated ancients.

Would be doing time nowadays the piece of shit.
😐

I think the reason for being a teacher is constantly changing.
Pre 80s it's was poorly paid but so easy and you could hit kids.
90s pay was better , attracted more educated and professional teachers, who started to care.
00s to 2010s as a result of Blair getting everyone to go to uni , there were lots of people with a degree but nothing to do with it, so took up teaching.
2010s to 2020 workload becomes crippling, too many older teachers leave, so massive bribes given for people to teach.
Now. In secondary schools, you will be lucky if your teacher is qualified in the subject they are teaching. There is a real chance they have a supply teacher, who may be completely unqualified other than a dbs, maybe don't speak English well enough to be understood. Schools get charged about 250 pound per day by supply agencies , they will then keep 100 to 150 of that fee themselves.

Ask your kids
1) is your maths teacher also a PE teacher
2) how many of your teachers are supply teachers.
3) do all your teachers speak clear English.

You could be shocked , and should ask the school why

That's my "leftie" input
Agree very much on your point about how it has changed.

My father went into teaching. He grew up in a pit village on a farm and my grand mother was determined he wouldnt go down the pit or work on the farm so he went to university and then into teaching after national service. It was an aspirational profession at that time. As a result, I grew up in a middle class area and a number of the neighbours had gone into teaching in the 60s and 70s. However, not one of the kids who lived on that street in the 80s or 90s followed those parents into teaching because you could get better pay and opportunities in the private sector.

Back