Were teachers in the 60s like the Spanish inquisition?

Have you ever appreciated or understood why most teachers, nurses etc. are ‘left wing twats’?

It might be because they have first hand experience of some of the problems in society, and they are affected by the lack of investment in key sectors.

As an anecdote, a teacher who I know has told me about a child who is excited about an expected Christmas present of a new pair of school shoes. They won’t receive much else as their parents sell anything of value to buy more drugs.

Love from a “left wing twat”. X

I just had an idea. Why don't you and the teacher chip in and buy the kid a decent present between you ?
Brutal -( 1969 to 1974 )- seen lads punched , kicked , ruler , strap , cane , slipper , heads banged together and general bullying and humiliation.

The punishment was severe and wrong but the tough lads attitude was I did wrong. , got caught ….. I m going to get a beating. The smart money was on not getting caught.

A lot of teachers would be jailed now - old school bullies . The new wave 60s students started to filter in as teachers about this time with more liberal attitudes.

Me ? Kept my nose clean and head buried in books .

The tough lads being beaten wasn't excused by the fact they were tough since they are still children up till 16. The teacher should have said "OK tough lad , just you and me with bare fists and I won't whinge to anyone if you beat me".

Last edited:

Teachers were pretty shit back in the day. I was at school in the late 70s and 80s and loads of them didn't want to be doing it and it showed. There didn't seem to be any coordination for how things should be taught let alone what should be taught- I recall going in to a gcse History exam and there was a big question on Anzacs, and I'd never heard of them! At no point had our teacher bothered themselves to teach us, despite I assume it being on the syllabus. I do recall another teacher throwing me against a wall for me not listening in lesson, proper hard man attacking a child like that.

Nowadays I'm really impressed with the teachers and how things are done at my kids schools. Doesn't need violence either.

Well if it’s owt like “Kes” teachers play footy against the pupils pretending they’re famous footballers iirc
In fairness I had ritchie Pitt, playing a little 5 aside and cricket as my pe teacher in the 80s😂
Richie Pitt used to play against us. He was quite famous as a footballer. He was also a wanker.
Ayeproper misery at times like😂

Last edited:
Seem to remember my Cousin who was in the last year of the juniors getting brayed all over by our headmaster outside of school on our way home one night. One of my earliest school memories round 1973/74 ish.
Yeah - it was violent pal . Would shock modern mindsets - wholly wrong but it’s just as it was back then .
I just had an idea. Why don't you and the teacher chip in and buy the kid a decent present between you ?

The tough lads being beaten wasn't excused by the fact they were tough since they are still children up till 16. The teacher should have said "OK tough lad , just you and me with bare fists and I won't whinge to anyone if you beat me".
I m not defending either the tough lads or the teachers - I was around back then and just reported events .

I think my point is the miscreants knew the rules and consequences ( as wrong as they were) and took it on the chin - there was no where to hide back then.

Last edited:
Well as I was a pupil in the 60s I can confidently assert that the expectation of a pupil was for strict discipline, often reinforced with corporal punishment and nobody had the slightest scooby, or cared a shiny shit, what political leanings the teacher had*

* except I do recall that my English teacher was a fan of the Mersey poets (McGough, Henry, Patton) and encouraged me to creative efforts of self expression. I don’t recall the Maths, Geography or Metalwork teachers presenting a ‘woke’ curriculum.

Yeah - it was violent pal . Would shock modern mindsets - wholly wrong but it’s just as it was back then .

I m not defending either the tough lads or the teachers - I was around back then and just reported events .

I think my point is the miscreants knew the rules and consequences ( as wrong as they were) and took it on the chin - there was no where to hide back then.
Too true you didn't go and home tell your parents because most would have sided with the teachers.

It comes under the liberalisation of society in general afaic. We used to have an ethos of sparing the rod would spoil the child and that was considered fair. If you believe in that stuff fine, but if you want a more conciliatory approach to education then I would expect to see some kind progression.

Oh yes. But the miscreants were just kids and unfortunately back then we allowed middle aged gadgies to beat kids.

Some real sadistic bastards back then.
I m still trying to figure out what caused this - the old school teachers late 60s would have been born early 30s so went through WW2 without combat- most however did National Service and the harsh discipline associated with that.

Maybe they were simply bullies who could bully without much consequence.

Of course not all were bullies - I had a wonderful time at school and was supported by the most fantastic teachers who I can never thank enough. Mind you I was a swot I suppose - I had and still have a thirst for knowledge - doesn’t make me clever … just really interested in stuff .
Oh yes. But the miscreants were just kids and unfortunately back then we allowed middle aged gadgies to beat kids.
Correct - and parents beat kids , and sometimes other parents beat someone else’s kids . And it really kicked off.

There was a a violent backdrop to everything - my point is unlike today the kids had nowhere to go for help - parents would be furious that their kids had got in trouble at school.

Last edited:
Well as I was a pupil in the 60s I can confidently assert that the expectation of a pupil was for strict discipline, often reinforced with corporal punishment and nobody had the slightest scooby, or cared a shiny shit, what political leanings the teacher had*

* except I do recall that my English teacher was a fan of the Mersey poets (McGough, Henry, Patton) and encouraged me to creative efforts of self expression. I don’t recall the Maths, Geography or Metalwork teachers presenting a ‘woke’ curriculum.
Was there any such thing as "woke" in the '60's ? All we had was a "ban the bomb" sign painted on yer haversack., and we didn't have a clue what it meant but it was "Far Out" "Fab and Groovy"

Last edited:
An old bastard of a teacher at Jarra Central nearly knocked me into next week while we were on a school trip to Bowes museum. All because I hadn't heard them calling us altogether, as I was engrossed reading the family history.
I was leaving that year and had finished my exams too.
Shouted at him he was a bastard, these days the twat would have been in prison for assault. I wasn't the first he'd twatted but almost certainly one of the last.
Hated school most teachers were sadistic bastards, not left wing just sadistic because they could be and got away with it.

Too true you didn't go and home tell your parents because most would have sided with the teachers.
The more I think about it the beating or lacing as we used to say was pretty savage full force slaps on the side and back of the head kicks up the arse and being ragged all over the road by the scruff of the neck.
Made an impression on me I was only 4 and this was 50 years ago.
Got to say my cousin was a a workey ticket like.

Last edited:

Back