were going to need a bigger boat

alreet quint

Most attacks happen in three feet of water or less.

Stupid stat - as its just there are more of us at that depth

Like saying most people get run over by cars on the road rather than in the launderette
1:63 chance of dying of flu.
1:3700000 of being attacked by a shark.

It's only the aforementioned great white and tiger sharks, and possibly bull sharks, that are any remotely small danger. 3 out of about 500 different types. They couldn't give a toss about humans either. It's fish, seals and sealions they're after. They only have a chew on people if they mistake them for the fish or other animals.

They're also not attracted to human blood, which makes them less of a danger than Michael Howard in the same room as Anne Widdecombe. Though it's a canny pub story if you survive a shark attack, or a few decent jokes at your funeral.

Early 1990's I was living in HK there was a tiger shark taking swimmers,Vic Hislop the shark hunter was brought in to solve the problem,he failed,shark eats a few swimmers huge furore,yet wander around the territory and shark fins galore,thousands of them,on sale for medicine and food #sharksrevenge 🧐

Early 1990's I was living in HK there was a tiger shark taking swimmers,Vic Hislop the shark hunter was brought in to solve the problem,he failed,shark eats a few swimmers huge furore,yet wander around the territory and shark fins galore,thousands of them,on sale for medicine and food #sharksrevenge 🧐
I’ve said loads of times that I know what I’m doing when I go in the ocean and the potential risks I’m taking, however small that might be. I take the very simplistic view that it’s their house. If I ever get attacked by one then the last thing I would ever want is for it to die.

Never see them.White man history down here ,so say 250 years ,there have been around 700 attacks and 200 deaths if I remember rightly .

Seem to have none for for years on end at Margaret River ( south of Perth ) then a surfer will be taken,then another one,then nowt.

The drop bears are the things to look out for.

Never see them.White man history down here ,so say 250 years ,there have been around 700 attacks and 200 deaths if I remember rightly .

Seem to have none for for years on end at Margaret River ( south of Perth ) then a surfer will be taken,then another one,then nowt.

The drop bears are the things to look out for.
Vegemite behind the ears works well as a preventive measure apparently.

I worked in the Bahamas last year - we used to finish work then go and sit on the Jetty and with a fish head tied onto a rope and tease the Bull Sharks (3 of them biggest being about 7/8 foot) then just as they were about to strike pull the rope away. Contrary to belief not once did they attack straight off it sometimes took them 5 or 6 swims in to check it out first before the final attack.
We got afternoon off one day and ended up getting hammered in the local Bars/Shacks got back to the hotel and thought it would be a good idea to swim across between the 2 Jetty's (about 10 metres) - woke up the next day and though what the F--- did we do yesterday :)

For 15 years she kept her virginity.....not a bad record for this vicinity....
Ge
It's only the aforementioned great white and tiger sharks, and possibly bull sharks, that are any remotely small danger. 3 out of about 500 different types. They couldn't give a toss about humans either. It's fish, seals and sealions they're after. They only have a chew on people if they mistake them for the fish or other animals.

They're also not attracted to human blood, which makes them less of a danger than Michael Howard in the same room as Anne Widdecombe. Though it's a canny pub story if you survive a shark attack, or a few decent jokes at your funeral.

Generally accepted that Oceanic White Tips are dangerous to humans, as well as the three you mention.

Interestingly Bull Sharks are territorial for some reason (unusual for fish) and can attack through anger as well as hunger apparently.

This looks almost certainly to have been a 'Test bite death'. A 3m Great White could bite a human in half like a wafer with an aggressive strike.

Last edited:
Generally accepted that Oceanic White Tips are dangerous to humans, as well as the three you mention.

Interestingly Bull Sharks are territorial for some reason (unusual for fish) and can attack through anger as well as hunger apparently.

This looks almost certainly to have been a 'Test bite death'. A 3m Great White could bite a human in half like a wafer with an aggressive strike.
No one's floating around a buoy in offshore Pacific south though to come into contact unless their 'plane falls from the sky or sub is torpedoed; to involve oceanic whitetip in the equation.

No one's floating around a buoy in offshore Pacific south though to come into contact unless their 'plane falls from the sky or sub is torpedoed; to involve oceanic whitetip in the equation.

If you were though, you'd want a big fat PBY to pick you up sharpish.

I'll never visit Antarctica either but that doesn't mean Polar Bears are not dangerous.

Back