Weight loss thread 2022

Does anybody else struggle to switch off from the regime when you are trying to lose weight? I've done really well since new year, lost about half a stone and now at a weight I'm more or less happy with. I am out on Saturday night for meal and a few drinks and instead of just saying fuck it and have a well earned night off from it all, I can't help thinking 'well if I just eat that instead of the things I really fancy' etc etc. All a bit ridiculous I know but just curious if anybody think similar :lol:

Does anybody else struggle to switch off from the regime when you are trying to lose weight? I've done really well since new year, lost about half a stone and now at a weight I'm more or less happy with. I am out on Saturday night for meal and a few drinks and instead of just saying fuck it and have a well earned night off from it all, I can't help thinking 'well if I just eat that instead of the things I really fancy' etc etc. All a bit ridiculous I know but just curious if anybody think similar :lol:

Nope, switching off is the easiest thing in the world. It's staying switched on which is hard.

It’s not much good if you go back into old habits eating and drinking too much
it’s realy a lifestyle change that needs to be done and you have to work out what’s good for you and how often you can relax and shall we say eat cake
you just have to be aware of what you eat it’s not easy but with little exercise and control I’m sure we can try and hold our weight
although I’m finding it very difficult at the moment

1lb off this week, which is more like what I would want so assume last week was leftover fluid retention.

Was out on Friday night, 6 pints and a whisky, then the 99p triple cheeseburger through the McDonalds app was too tempted so I ended up about 2,000 calories over on Friday but back on track yesterday.

Looking to get down to 190lbs before the end of may, doing the Edinburgh marathon and carrying too much weight is a killer for the owld knees.

Booze and biscuits are my downfall.

I’ve almost shifted a stone this month, swimming further is getting easier and I’m digging in with the running.

February is bringing more social events so that’s an additional challenge but sticking with it during the week should help continue the weight loss.

1 Feb: 11 pounds lost since 1 Jan.

Very happy with that. I've got a couple of weekends away in February so not expecting the same but would be happy with another 6-8 pounds this month.

Looking to lose 4 stone this year but determined to take it steady without any fad diets or silly exercise regimes which always fail after a couple of weeks. Over 52 weeks, 4 stone is only an average of a pound a week. Given that there are sure to be such hiccups along the way then having a good week being 2 pounds lost is a decent and achievable target.

Looking to get down to 190lbs before the end of may, doing the Edinburgh marathon and carrying too much weight is a killer for the owld knees.

Booze and biscuits are my downfall.

My problem with biscuits is that I'm incapable of just having one. It would have to be the whole tin/pack. So for me the easy solution is not to buy them.

My biggest weaknesses are bread and cheese so I've just stopped buying it.

Going shopping when you are eating healthily is actually easier as there are who aisles you just avoid.

219lb on the scales today, i think i hit 228lb or 226lb with my winter bulk/boozing. Not drank much in the last few weeks and it makes a massive difference.

My problem with biscuits is that I'm incapable of just having one. It would have to be the whole tin/pack. So for me the easy solution is not to buy them.

My biggest weaknesses are bread and cheese so I've just stopped buying it.

Going shopping when you are eating healthily is actually easier as there are who aisles you just avoid.
Crisps are my downfall, I only ever buy them to have at the weekend but have cut down since the new year. Can easily go through a large sharing bag!

I was 150kg a couple of years ago. Been yoyoing a bit. went down to 130 then back up to 140. Then went down to 117 before going back up to 130 at xmas.

Now on my way back down and at 125kg (at least its the right side of 20 st I suppose). would love to get to 100 but it might take a couple more iterations.

Gained loads of weight when I was contracting and living away from home during the week. Im finding its not easy to lose it when you get into your 50s though !!

I’m hovering around 207lbs, 17lbs to go, haven’t been below the 200 mark for a few years now, it’s definitely harder to shift once you’re over 40. Feeling fitter and stronger than I have in a long time, training 3-4 times a week and cooking from fresh a fair bit so hoping to keep that going and get under the magic mark.

Done an hour hard graft in gym today and got a 7 mile run in the morning.

I’ve been randomly contacted by Southampton Uni via my GP. After a few tests and questions I find myself as a participant in a 5 year research project into Active Brains.

The first element is about establishing baselines for strength and balance - physical health being an element of mental well-being, memory retention and brain acuity I think.

Anyway. They gave me some exercises. They are about 1 percent of what I do normally every day. But I’ve put 3kg on since Christmas so I’ve ramped up the exercise and I need to cut down on the biscuits and pastry. I feel like I’m making progress there.

My BP has normalised and recent blood tests have shown that the cholesterol levels that they wanted to put me on statins for 9 months ago are down enough for me to not need them. Bastards told me that increasing exercise and changing diet wouldn’t be enough but I was already embarked on that journey so I ignored them and was right.

I do 3 sessions on the exercise bike plus some exercises (aerobics, tension, bbc health stuff) for about half an hour before breakfast in my garage. I swim three times a week - usually about 60 lengths. I do a 3 hour walk (give or take) each week - exploring the countryside near where I live. Plus I try to walk to the shops, the post office, or the library or whatever as often as needed.

So if I add the balance stuff I’ve got from the research thing and some Pilates exercises (for my back) plus the U3A groups (a Reading Group, a Quiz group and a ‘Rock Music Appreciation’ Group) alongside trying to learn Spanish… maybe that’s enough for a nearly 67 year old.

I’ll let you know.

(in reality I’m only typing this to cement my commitment to pushing ahead with everything. I could probably do more. )

I've dropped the stone or so I've wanted since the start of the year. Being disciplined with calorie counting has been the key along with a good exercise program that I've been able to stick too. Had a half a dozen off days in this 6 weeks too where I've had a takeaway or meal and few pints out which makes the loss extra pleasing. I've altered my goals on nurtocheck now for maintaining which gives me a extra 300 calories a day or so to play with
Just to add to my above post I know no matter who much I kid myself you can never out train bad diet if you want to lose weight

Last edited:
I've just started tracking my calories from yesterday and absolutely need to do something about the way I eat. Go to Sainsburys on my bait and end up with a meal deal and some snacks that don't even fill you. Then snacking around tea on a night.

My TDEE is 3056 calories a day. Had around half of that or slightly over yesterday, but going to up it a bit, don't want to knock myself sick in a few days craving a load of shite food.

Never realised how many calories were in certain things like ya fucka.

After the Christmas period, I had ballooned to 15st 2lbs, which for someone 5'7 in height, is absolutely nae use.

On Monday there, the scales read 14st 1lb, so a good start to my goal of getting down to 11.5 stones by the end of the year.

I've managed to cut down on bread a lot, and haven't had any cakes, crisps or pies since the start of January. I absolutely despise exercise, particularly outside, but I knew I couldn't lose the weight I need on diet alone, so I bought a stationary bike, and have hooked it up with my Quest 2 VR headset and the VZ Fit app and it's been a game changer. Cycling all round the world without leaving the house. The other night, I did a 10 mile cycle round some lake in Switzerland, the scenery was stunning. Much better than staring at 4 walls, that's for sure.

Long way to go, but a good start. There's a few things I'm really missing food wise (cheese being the main one), but I'm hopeful. I stopped drinking nearly 3 years ago, so I no longer have to worry about beer putting the weight on, another positive.

Back