Weight Loss Thread 2021

Just signed up to the gym after doing nothing for the last 18months, recently going on holiday and looking at pictures thinking 'that is f***ing disgusting'.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that I can access a decent training plan guideline. When I last frequented the gym a few years back I just took a scattergun approach to using all the machines etc. Want something more focused to trim a bit of timber and improve my overall fitness.

97.8 kilos this morning. Need to check my body analysis though as everything is fitting better despite the low amount of weight lost this last week. Still over 7 stone gone though. Would like to get down to 90 so only another stone or so to go.

You make me feel ashamed of myself as I've properly fallen off the wagon. :oops:

Your weight loss is inspiring because the amount you've lost is just astounding. Congratulations.

Just signed up to the gym after doing nothing for the last 18months, recently going on holiday and looking at pictures thinking 'that is f***ing disgusting'.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that I can access a decent training plan guideline. When I last frequented the gym a few years back I just took a scattergun approach to using all the machines etc. Want something more focused to trim a bit of timber and improve my overall fitness.
Just realised I still haven’t replied to this.

Any training needs to be strength and cardio based. We train upper body one day, lower body the next then have a day off then repeat. Weekends we go for a walk or do fuck all. Calorie deficit for fat loss (not weight loss as my weight is only a couple of kilos lower than June/July but my waist is smaller and my arms are bigger and clothes that didn’t fit then now fit perfectly. Scales only tell part of the story.)

Upper body

warm up 2,000 metres rowing machine or assault bike

followed by

dumbbell clean and press into kettlebell swings

Dumbbell shoulder press / bench press / dumbbell chest fly

Dumbbell bicep curl / cable pull down / press ups

Lat pull down / lat raise / front raise

plank / crunches / ab scissors

Do them as a circuit 40sec on 20sec off and repeat each one 3x. After each set of exercises have a couple of minutes rest.

cool down on the cross trainer for 5 minutes and stretch out.

lower body

Warm up 3-4 minutes bike

Deadlifts / box step overs / kettlebell goblet squat

squats / glute bridges / leg press

Assault bike / leg extension / mountain climbers

Cool down 3-5 mins on the cross trainer or treadmill

As above do 40sec on 20sec off and 3 sets of each.

Having said all that we spend way more time on weight training now as it’s so much more fun.

Just realised I still haven’t replied to this.

Any training needs to be strength and cardio based. We train upper body one day, lower body the next then have a day off then repeat. Weekends we go for a walk or do fuck all. Calorie deficit for fat loss (not weight loss as my weight is only a couple of kilos lower than June/July but my waist is smaller and my arms are bigger and clothes that didn’t fit then now fit perfectly. Scales only tell part of the story.)

Upper body

warm up 2,000 metres rowing machine or assault bike

followed by

dumbbell clean and press into kettlebell swings

Dumbbell shoulder press / bench press / dumbbell chest fly

Dumbbell bicep curl / cable pull down / press ups

Lat pull down / lat raise / front raise

plank / crunches / ab scissors

Do them as a circuit 40sec on 20sec off and repeat each one 3x. After each set of exercises have a couple of minutes rest.

cool down on the cross trainer for 5 minutes and stretch out.

lower body

Warm up 3-4 minutes bike

Deadlifts / box step overs / kettlebell goblet squat

squats / glute bridges / leg press

Assault bike / leg extension / mountain climbers

Cool down 3-5 mins on the cross trainer or treadmill

As above do 40sec on 20sec off and 3 sets of each.

Having said all that we spend way more time on weight training now as it’s so much more fun.

Cheers Ron. Will take pointers from your post above. Been last few weeks, coupled with not drinking, and feel better. Basic routine is;
-10 min jog on steep incline
-barbell rows, deadlifts, bench press
-cable pull down
-1000m on rower

-squats, overhead presses
-various leg exercises
-10 min bike

Just use the above as a guide and alternate every day. Also looking to get back playing squash on a weekly basis too

Last edited:
Cheers Ron. Will take pointers from your post above. Been last few weeks, coupled with not drinking, and feel better. Basic routine is;
-barbell rows, deadlifts, bench press
-cable pull down
-1000m on rower

-squats, overhead presses
-various leg exercises
-10 min bike

Just use the above as a guide and alternate every day. Also looking to get back playing squash on a weekly basis too
Yeah we used it to begin with when the gyms reopened but now we basically only do a fast warm up for 8-10 minutes then hit the weights. I’m losing fat but not weight as the fat is being replaced by equal weight in muscle which is a good place to be :lol:

Got my arse into gear 3 weeks ago, turned 45 and felt like utter shite. Been seeing a few posts and seen the sessions walking my dog that SR Functional Fitness puts on down Roker, and finally took the plunge.

In three weeks I’ve dropped 7lbs to 16 stone 3, and in that time I’ve still had the odd pizza and beers, so after the game tomorrow I’m off all shite for a few weeks, which will hopefully kick me on a bit more.

6am on the promenade is not for everyone, but it fits in great with my day, and more importantly than the weight loss, mentally it’s a great way to start the day.

Got my arse into gear 3 weeks ago, turned 45 and felt like utter shite. Been seeing a few posts and seen the sessions walking my dog that SR Functional Fitness puts on down Roker, and finally took the plunge.

In three weeks I’ve dropped 7lbs to 16 stone 3, and in that time I’ve still had the odd pizza and beers, so after the game tomorrow I’m off all shite for a few weeks, which will hopefully kick me on a bit more.

6am on the promenade is not for everyone, but it fits in great with my day, and more importantly than the weight loss, mentally it’s a great way to start the day.

It's great when the exercise you do doesn't feel like it's part of your weight loss but actually feels like it's something you enjoy doing and want to keep doing. Good luck!

started my journey a couple weeks ago. i cycled to work pre-covid though i had already slacked off before that somewhat for various reasons. definitely put weight on during our first lockdown and thought i'd just sort that out one that was over, however i didn't ride as regularly and got back into bad habits diet wise. during our second lockdown which will be 4 months long when if finally finishes in the nest couple of weeks i've put more on. i really didn't think it was as bad as it was but i went and bought some cheap, old school scales and was blown away that I was up to 91kgs (BMI = 31). massive, massive wake up call!

that was 2 weeks ago. i've since got back on the bike and also out walking most days. i've tried running but getting shin splints so will wait for the gyms to reopen in a few weeks and also need new running shoes so will grab them too as the shops are reopening.
Changing my diet as well to cut out all the bad habits that really don't serve much purpose. cutting out drinking during the week, choosing better snacks and healthier meals in general etc... The crazy thing is I actually don't miss any of those 'bad' things at all, though i'm not going to cut them out entirely either.
lost 4kgs so far, looking to lose another 12kgs to get my BMI down to around the 25 mark.

good luck everyone and stay strong...!

Had a tooth out with problems on antibiotics
it’s slowed down my weight management
however still 17st 1 lb
At least you lost the weight of the tooth :D
Lost two stone through long Covid. Problem is I was already underweight...any spare fat, inbox me 👍

Last edited:

Back