Wedding Guest Attire

Status
Not open for further replies.

For a family wedding about 15 years ago my Mam's cousin turned up wearing an old John Smiths t-shirt :)

For my own wedding in June I wore a black suit I bought new off ebay for about 100 quid. I'd worn it twice for funerals but I did get it dry cleaned. I bought a new waistcoat and cotton white shirt off ebay for just over 20 quid and 5 silk ties for all the blokes from Moss Bros for £60.

My lovely wife had all new stuff bar a borrowed handbag. We both look canny on the photos, me slightly in the shade as should be the case :)

Unless you are just attending the evening do, the answer is always a suit. It's traditional and you look smart.

People who wear those awful bow tie outfits are classless imo. Not only do you look a berk, but people just think of that scene from the Inbetweeners

Demob suit.......complete with wide brimmed fedora and of course a silk scarf.

Joking aside, I'm getting married a week on Sunday. I'm wearing a dark blue made to measure three piece suit with peaked lapels, white shirt French cuffs, light silvery blue silk tie (not a f***ing skinny one), blue / white polka dot silk pocket square, Paul Smith Oxfords (black), handmade silver cufflinks with my three sons name stamped / engraved in a circle, Tag Monaco on the wrist.

Conservative yes, fashionable? More sartorially classic in a 1950's sort of old style gentlemen look. I hate these skinny suits / ties look, that is not just because I'm not the build for it, I just don't like it. Classic styles beat the latest fashions hand over fist every time. Tip for the younger lads, women love men in a good suit.

A big white dress would do great mate.

As a bloke in a dress, you have to make a big effort to outshine the bride 'n' arl.

She'll love you for years. ;)

Wear a suit and that will cover all eventualities. If you know it's just the evening due and you've not got clear guidelines, wear dress pants, shirt and tie. You can lose the tie if it's not needed.

Last edited:
As a bloke in a dress, you have to make a big effort to outshine the bride 'n' arl.

She'll love you for years. ;)

Wear a suit and that will cover all eventualities. If you know it's just the evening due and you've not got clear guidelines, wear dress pants, shirt and tie. You can lose the tie if it's not needed.

I don't think that I've ever worn a shirt and tie without a suit jacket. I feel as if something is missing if I haven't got a jacket on.

Get something right up to date and won't go out of fashion.

Sozz Peachy but this statement is completely full of oxymoron and this serves as a great primer on why blokes should learn to dress themselves and not rely on a bewer.

Something "right up to date" as far as today's trends go would be some ridiculous Thom Browne / Hedi Slimane inspired skinny suit that fits like a sausage skin and looks crap. The wheels of men's fashion turn a lot slower than women's but they are already turning as I see the pendulum start to move the other direction and the crap filtering through to the mainstream includes pleated strides (long absent from menswear) looser stride legs etc. so it won't be very long before someone wearing a suit "right up to date"'today is going to look very dated.

Cary Grant who is considered one of the best dressed people ever once gave a long interview describing his personal views on style and said he doesn't consider himself very fashionable cos all his gear is middle of the road- lapels not wide or skinny, strides not wide or skinny etc, almost anti fashion. That's why when you're watching North By Northwest (made in 1959) he looks spot on and would look spot on in any decade thereafter no matter what the "right up to date" fashions of the time might be.

Sozz Peachy but this statement is completely full of oxymoron and this serves as a great primer on why blokes should learn to dress themselves and not rely on a bewer.

Something "right up to date" as far as today's trends go would be some ridiculous Thom Browne / Hedi Slimane inspired skinny suit that fits like a sausage skin and looks crap. The wheels of men's fashion turn a lot slower than women's but they are already turning as I see the pendulum start to move the other direction and the crap filtering through to the mainstream includes pleated strides (long absent from menswear) looser stride legs etc. so it won't be very long before someone wearing a suit "right up to date"'today is going to look very dated.

Cary Grant who is considered one of the best dressed people ever once gave a long interview describing his personal views on style and said he doesn't consider himself very fashionable cos all his gear is middle of the road- lapels not wide or skinny, strides not wide or skinny etc, almost anti fashion. That's why when you're watching North By Northwest (made in 1959) he looks spot on and would look spot on in any decade thereafter no matter what the "right up to date" fashions of the time might be.

That was exactly the point that I was making, but you and I share some quite close values when it comes to clobber.

That was exactly the point that I was making, but you and I share some quite close values when it comes to clobber.

Aye! I'd love to see your ... errr ... wedding tackle! Make sure you send us pics. Not long now eh? Hope it all goes smoothly, and as someone who also had a destination wedding, ol Fres off this board said to me "just be cool - you've brought us all to this beautiful place, it is NOT your responsibility to worry about if we're having a good time. The location is great and if someone can't have a good time here that's their lookout!"

That was why I said " hire a suit" as an idea. It would be up to date for the wedding, but wouldn't sit in the wardrobe going out of date as you send it back.

Regarding style, I do agree you should choose styles and colours that suit ( nee pun intended) you and ignore fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back