We have massively underestimated The Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keawyeds

Striker
Here's a number of factors:

Grayson apparently knows how to deal with The Championship. So far you'd wonder considering the way we've been playing.
I would probably say that's down to the players as much as him to be fair.

Speaking of the players, we were quite optimistic when a new bunch came in - eager to make their mark on the game and on the club - good stuff.
However, what seems to have happened is that collectively as a club, from Ellis Short and Martin Bain, right down to the manager and players, is we have completely underestimated the championship.

The majority of teams currently in the Championship have at one point been in the Premier League.

Cardiff City
Leeds United
Wolves
Ipswich Town
Sheff Utd
Middlesbrough
Derby County
QPR
Sheff. Wednesday
Nottm Forest
Fulham
Hull City
Barnsley
Reading
Norwich City
Aston Villa
Sunderland
Birmingham
Bolton

These are the only ones which haven't.

Bristol City
Burton
Brentford
Preston
Millwall

It is a notoriously hard league to get out of. Some former Prem teams have fallen further than this. Blackpool, Wigan, Portsmouth etc.

I don't want soundbites about how the players are hurting, I want to see results.
We've just been relegated. That means for every club in the Championship, we're one of the teams to beat because we still have relegation hangover.
We need to come out swinging against Notts Forest tomorrow or I can see there being an absolute shitstorm from the fans against Hull next weekend

Biggest mistake was not purchasing a consistent goal scorer at this level, fair enough cost cutting but we scrimped on the position that will actually win us games.
This. You can have a very average defence in this league but as long as you have a goal scorer or 2 you'll be fine. Sadly we don't at the moment!

Speak for yourself.

I think the players we have are decent enough at this level but I'm not convinced 4-4-2 is the best way to play them.
I'd love us to revet back to 4-4-2 as we have not played this system at present....Saturday was 3-5-1-1 than 4-3-2-1 and then 2-1-4-1-2 after that I gave up trying to fathom it out.

The premier league has been going quarter of a century. 13 of the current teams in the pl were promoted after us.

Listing teams that have been in the PL at some point means very little.

Here's a number of factors:

Grayson apparently knows how to deal with The Championship. So far you'd wonder considering the way we've been playing.
I would probably say that's down to the players as much as him to be fair.

Speaking of the players, we were quite optimistic when a new bunch came in - eager to make their mark on the game and on the club - good stuff.
However, what seems to have happened is that collectively as a club, from Ellis Short and Martin Bain, right down to the manager and players, is we have completely underestimated the championship.

The majority of teams currently in the Championship have at one point been in the Premier League.

Cardiff City
Leeds United
Wolves
Ipswich Town
Sheff Utd
Middlesbrough
Derby County
QPR
Sheff. Wednesday
Nottm Forest
Fulham
Hull City
Barnsley
Reading
Norwich City
Aston Villa
Sunderland
Birmingham
Bolton

These are the only ones which haven't.

Bristol City
Burton
Brentford
Preston
Millwall

It is a notoriously hard league to get out of. Some former Prem teams have fallen further than this. Blackpool, Wigan, Portsmouth etc.

I don't want soundbites about how the players are hurting, I want to see results.
We've just been relegated. That means for every club in the Championship, we're one of the teams to beat because we still have relegation hangover.
We need to come out swinging against Notts Forest tomorrow or I can see there being an absolute shitstorm from the fans against Hull next weekend

The outpouring of theories on what is going wrong is weird. It isn't about team selection, it isn't about tactics, it isn't about the manager, it isn't about formation, it isn't about where the away fans are in the ground, it isn't about fans leaving early, it isn't about interviews in the Echo.

And it isn't about underestimating the Championship.

It's about the financial mess that Ellis Short has put this club in, and the way he is recovering as much of the cost of his mistakes as possible, so that he can sell the club, no matter what the consequences are.

He didn't give the manager £1.25m to spend on 10 players (out of the best part of £60m we have generated in 2017) because he thought the Championship would be easy.

He did that because he doesn't give a fuck what happens to SAFC, but he wants to take as much money out of it as he can.

He has long since passed the likes of Vincent Tan in a league of shite owners. This bloke is on a par with Venky's, and heading into Oyston territory the way he is destroying the club for his own personal gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back