We dodged a bulet with Simms

Don’t just look at numbers when looking at strikers, we don’t creative enough so even if we signed simms he wouldn’t score here

If you've seen Jobe play up front or as a false nine this season he should have absolutely blown that myth away by now. He's the one player that's done the absolute basics of holding the ball, getting in beyond, sniffing out opportunist chances, making diagonal runs in beyond etc.

Just because Rusyn, Hemir, Mayenda, Burstow get forced off the ball, make a poor run, aren't quick enough physically yor mentally, show poor composure when they do get the ball in and arpund the area (delete as appropriate) does not mean you can't get in the right area, that you can't sniff out chances or get involved in general play.

It's not all about inch perfect through balls (though Burstow and Rusyn have wasted loads by not anticipating or getting involved in fights with defenders they're not going to win).

Our striking options outside of Jobe are extremely poor. If you get in the right areas and make the right runs, you will get chances in our side.

Last edited:

Being better than our strikers doesn’t make him good man.

He’s got 11 league goals in 38 (1 in 3.5 games) league games and people on here are wanking themselves silly over him.

Clarke has 15 in 33 league games man (1 in 2.2).

Same posters sucking him off were slating Wyke when he got boatloads.

He’s got 11 league goals in 38 (1 in 3.5 games) league games and people on here are wanking themselves silly over him.

Wyke as had one good season in his career and that was on league one.

If you've seen Jobe play up front or as a false nine this season he should have absolutely blown that myth away by now. He's the one player that's done the absolute basics of holding the ball, getting in beyond, sniffing out opportunist chances, making diagonal runs in beyond etc.

Just because Rusyn, Hemir, Mayenda, Burstow get forced off the ball, make a poor run, aren't quick enough physically yor mentally, show poor composure when they do get the ball in and arpund the area (delete as appropriate) does not mean you can't get in the right area, that you can't sniff out chances or get involved in general play.

It's not all about inch perfect through balls (though Burstow and Rusyn have wasted loads by not anticipating or getting involved in fights with defenders they're not going to win).

Our striking options outside of Jobe are extremely poor. If you get in the right areas and make the right runs, you will get chances in our side.
Rusyn is an absolutely terrible signing. I can’t believe we chased him and spent money on him. He doesn’t have a position.

Rusyn is an absolutely terrible signing. I can’t believe we chased him and spent money on him. He doesn’t have a position.

I think he's got something about him, whether he takes time to adapt or simply isn't strong enough or quick enough to play as he wants to (often on the shoulder) we're yet to see. As a more expensive experienced player to go straight in though he's been dire.

We seem to have followed the route Speakman was hinting about going back to saying Clarke and Dejaku can play the centre forward role, talking about 433 , versatility and 'Sunderland do not play with the traditional number 9' (when it's clear we need to).

Rusyn doesn't appear to fit any position we currently use as he's not a winger and he's absolutely not a centre forward and at least one head coach has said he prefers playing off the left as a forward.

Last edited:
I think he's got something about him, whether he takes time to adapt or simply isn't strong enough or quick enough to play as he wants to (often on the shoulder) we're yet to see. As a more expensive experienced player to go straight in though he's been dire.

We seem to have followed the route Speakman was hinting about going back to saying Clarke and Dejaku can play the centre forward role, talking about 433 , versatility and 'Sunderland do not play with the traditional number 9' (when it's clear we need to).

Rusyn doesn't appear to fit any position we currently use as he's not a winger and he's absolutely not a centre forward and at least one head coach has said he prefers playing off the left as a forward.
He certainly doesn’t look like an improvement on Dajaku. Looks like a rabbit in the headlights and I doubt whether he’s got the bottle to make it here. A complete waste of a signing. Then again most of our recent business looks the same to be honest - loads of supposed wide players that are no where near good enough for the Championship.

Strange comparing a striker and a winger but I'll go with it for the sake of this thread.

Games played isn't a fair comparison as it's judging someone who has played 90 mins against someone who has played 5 mins. As I've said in my last post, Simms was a late sub in some of his games. Against Watford (H), he came on for the last 2 minutes. Couple of weeks later, he was an 83rd minute sub and played 7 mins. Until Christmas, Simms rarely played the full 90 mins (5 full games) whereas Clarke was only subbed 4 times in the same period. It's only since the New Year has Simms been on the pitch regularly for entire games.

League goals only, Transfermrkt have Simms down as 11 goals in 2082 played mins and Clarke as 15 goals in 2931 mins. If you add in all competitions, Simms has 16 in 2446 mins, Clarke has 15 in 3051 mins. That makes a total goal ratio of 1 goal in every 152 mins for Simms, 1 goal every 204 mins for Clarke.

Yeah, absolutely. I mean it's going to be pretty telling if Stewart gets back into the Southampton team before the end of the season and ends up with more goals that rusyn as well. It's all very well looking for value. But it's not just the price that matters, rather the return

I don't want to shit on Rusyn too much. I still have hope that he'll turn out to be a good buy (it's reasonable to expect a foreign player to take around a year to settle properly) the problem is he was bought instead of a player like Broadhead or Simms (IE a striker ready to go).
It definitely wasn't a slight on Rusyn, I quite like him but he just doesn't fit into our style as of yet. He's like a poor man's Timo Werner. Needs to play on the left of a front 3. I just would genuinely love to see the financial details side by side to compare. I think we all know what it would show.

It definitely wasn't a slight on Rusyn, I quite like him but he just doesn't fit into our style as of yet. He's like a poor man's Timo Werner. Needs to play on the left of a front 3. I just would genuinely love to see the financial details side by side to compare. I think we all know what it would show.

If he's a poor man's tino Werner we're in trouble as werner is godawful

We aren't playing enough breaking the line passes AND jobe has better movement in the box than at least 3 of the strikers we've signed (I've barely seen mayenda play)

One being true doesn't make the other one false.

Jobes off the ball movement is superb. In every position he plays. When he plays up front that often leaves him with a strike on goal.

I think that is incredibly harsh, but I also think he's not good enough to play up front alone in the system we play. He definitely has ability, but he isn't a lone striker.

It’s his lack of ability to control a football that worries me.

Be amazed if he’s good enough off the left but we will see I guess

Last edited:
We aren't playing enough breaking the line passes AND jobe has better movement in the box than at least 3 of the strikers we've signed (I've barely seen mayenda play)

One being true doesn't make the other one false.

Jobes off the ball movement is superb. In every position he plays. When he plays up front that often leaves him with a strike on goal.

We've played enough passes over the season breaking lines though, absolute nonsense suggesting we haven't. Sick to death of seeing Burstow not anticipate, being pushed off the ball, make the wrong run, get the ball taken off him, taoe a poor touch etc - he's beyond horrific. Beale's whole game plan was basically being compact and hitting sides on the break and Ba and Burstow were particularly wasteful.

or with Rusyn trying to constantly fight with a defender because he's not quick enough or strong enough to get beyond. Yet all yet wants to do is play on the shoulder.

On the few occasions Rusyn has got on the end of things he at least showed composure, something Burstow has absolutely lacked.

In a short spell Mayenda actually got in beyond several times and showed it happened but his composure let him down.

Hemir has been completely off the pace when starting, but himself has been wasteful in cameo appearances showing those chances do come.

It's not just about Jobes movement in and around the area, it's how he gets involved in general play too - he's got the ability and physique to hold up the ball and the vision and understanding to make runs, often diagonal in behind which aid attacking play and create space for others.

People seem to just want us to play constant through balls for no apparent reason, as if that'll suddenly get the 'strikers' involved, yet ignore their absolute incompetence when we do and then go back down the wings instead.

14 goals in the last 11 games.....I know there were some weak opponents in that lot but still impressive for a 23 year old.

Maybe he could get a move back to the prem league in the future.

Back