We dodged a bulet with Simms

This thread passed me by. He seemed kind of comical when here, absolutely what required in our side now. Could never fault the effort when with us. I was wrong about him.

We don't learn our lessons as a club. Didn't sign Broadhead permanently (we tried but I can't imagine we really pushed considering he dropped down a league) and then Simms-
It's all very well saying Simms was out of our price range but he could have been the difference between a play off place and where we are now. We thought Rusyn, was better value ...
First half of the season when Mowbray was here he'd probably have been in double figures and we never have to go through the Beale and Doddsy era.
I agree, wouldn't have needed time to settle in, Clarke, Neil, Roberts, Pritchard all knew how to play with him.
He had like a 1 goal per 2.5 games for us or something. He was a bargain (though it didn't seem so at the time to me I must admit- but then I also trusted that our focus on Rusyn would pay off (maybe it Will Still, get it ;) )

Last edited:
I must admit I didn't think he was great when he was here and wasn't bothered when we didn't sign him. However, looks like he's proving me wrong. Good luck to the lad.

We don't learn our lessons as a club. Didn't sign Broadhead permanently (we tried but I can't imagine we really pushed considering he dropped down a league) and then Simms-
It's all very well saying Simms was out of our price range but he could have been the difference between a play off place and where we are now. We thought Rusyn, was better value ...

I agree, wouldn't have needed time to settle in, Clarke, Neil, Roberts, Pritchard all knew how to play with him.
He had like a 1 goal per 2.5 games for us or something. He was a bargain (though it didn't seem so at the time to me I must admit- but then I also trusted that our focus on Rusyn would pay off (maybe it Will Still, get it ;) )
I'd like to see the financials comparing Rusyn with Broadhead. Similar type of player, can play up top or wider off the front man. Be interested to see how both financial packages compare to each other. Transfer fees, wages, add ons if any, etc. Both are the same age, 25. One has 12 goals the other 2.

11 goals in 38 games is decent enough but not out of this world. However, compared to our strikers it is.

First 24 or those 38 he only scored 2 so he has 9 in his last 14. Could be just a purple patch he's going through right now but then it could be a sign he's now gelled with the team and then with him.

First 24 or those 38 he only scored 2 so he has 9 in his last 14. Could be just a purple patch he's going through right now but then it could be a sign he's now gelled with the team and then with him.
His purple patch would have had us fighting playoffs instead we are limping mid table.

Anyone who thinks he doesn’t improve this squad needs to stop watching footie like.

Dodged a lethal golden bullet that shoots past keepers for fun
You could see while he was here he's a massive confidence striker. When he catches fire he's leathal at this level, just when he's off he looks clumsy. I always wanted to resign him though he just has the back of scoring you can't teach.

Funny thing is he could be of been ours back in 2017 when he was on trial with us but we rejected him as we had Asoro/Maja and rated Lee Connelly ahead of him.

Perhaps its a purple patch- though TBF he scored 7 in 17 for us.
In terms of his time in the championship he's been a pretty consistent goal scorer- I think he just struggled to gel at coventry (a lot of pressure to come in and replace gyokeres)

I'd like to see the financials comparing Rusyn with Broadhead. Similar type of player, can play up top or wider off the front man. Be interested to see how both financial packages compare to each other. Transfer fees, wages, add ons if any, etc. Both are the same age, 25. One has 12 goals the other 2.

Yeah, absolutely. I mean it's going to be pretty telling if Stewart gets back into the Southampton team before the end of the season and ends up with more goals that rusyn as well. It's all very well looking for value. But it's not just the price that matters, rather the return

I don't want to shit on Rusyn too much. I still have hope that he'll turn out to be a good buy (it's reasonable to expect a foreign player to take around a year to settle properly) the problem is he was bought instead of a player like Broadhead or Simms (IE a striker ready to go).

Last edited:

Bear in mind, we had an intake of 10 players over summer with 12 leaving. So it was always going to take time for the new guys to bed in. And some of those initial games, he was a last 10 mins sub. Robins was also trying to keep another striker, Matt Godden, happy by rotating the two new strikers with him so all got the same amount of game time.

It's taken a while for him to feel comfortable in the side and for our midfield to understand his runs but that's all coming together now. If you watch the highlights of his recent goals, watch for the passes from our #45, Kasey Palmer. He's really got the number on how/where Ellis tends to run to and this has helped both improve.

Annoying Kasey got booked stupidly in the Cup tie vs Wolves. Means he misses the Semi-Final and could be a serious miss for us.

Back