We are on the telly today 27/1/22

I love how there was a load of uncertainty over whether that was a freekick or a penalty, when the foul was about 2 yards outside the box! 😄

Foggon was one of the worst buys in our history. Totally and utterly knackered when he joined us, made McGuire look like an athlete.
Stokoe bought some spent rubbish in his time but Foggon must have been top of the list alongside Belfitt.

Was there, not many down, probably less than 1000 of us. Remember Jackie Ashurst getting a load of grief from the travelling contingent and then our Ford Transit getting ambushed by a mob of QPR knackers as we were stuck at some traffic lights.

Decent enough start that season, remember the home game v Villa the week before the QPR game, as being the game when the fans lost their patience, no surprise then that the manager was sacked the following week. Remember Alex Cropley scoring for Villa after 65 mins and hundreds heading for the exits.

Only Siddall, Towers and (whisper it) Roy Greenwood coming out of that with any credit. Shocking the way we kept giving the ball back to a team with such talented footballers. MacFarlane out.

Was there, not many down, probably less than 1000 of us. Remember Jackie Ashurst getting a load of grief from the travelling contingent and then our Ford Transit getting ambushed by a mob of QPR knackers as we were stuck at some traffic lights.

Jackie was doing the raffle at half time g Pompey. He’s not changed

Season after the rump of the Cup Winners won promotion. It was a desperately poor start and by the time of this game, in October, the likes of Monty and Moncur were history.
It was only after Christmas that we started playing and, for a wonderful while, the Great Escape seemed on.
What a great period that was (apart from the final outcome).

Season after the rump of the Cup Winners won promotion. It was a desperately poor start and by the time of this game, in October, the likes of Monty and Moncur were history.
It was only after Christmas that we started playing and, for a wonderful while, the Great Escape seemed on.

Ironically, the second game on this edition of The Big Match was Luton v Southampton - with Monty in nets for the Saints in a 4-1 away win. I hadn't appreciated he played 5 games for them on loan.

And the only goal he conceded was scored by Luton's Brian Chambers... our sub from the FA Cup semi vs Arsenal. Small world and all that.

Ironically, the second game on this edition of The Big Match was Luton v Southampton - with Monty in nets for the Saints in a 4-1 away win. I hadn't appreciated he played 5 games for them on loan.

And the only goal he conceded was scored by Luton's Brian Chambers... our sub from the FA Cup semi vs Arsenal. Small world and all that.

What was Brian Chambers doing that far up the field. He used to get lost 10 yards after the centre spot?

Foggon was one of the worst buys in our history. Totally and utterly knackered when he joined us, made McGuire look like an athlete.
Stokoe bought some spent rubbish in his time but Foggon must have been top of the list alongside Belfitt.
Got stupidly excited with the Foggon signing as my dad mentioned he was good at the mags and played for Man Utd I was only a kid and knew nowt,( how times have changed I'm old now 😀) and couldn't believe this fat bloke waddling up the wing was him, he must have been 15 clem ! Did he retire after us??

Correct..
And having ignored him (shamefully) for England's senior side, Sir Alf also signed him for Birmingham City!

Foggon was embarrassingly shocking, just a podgy bloke that couldn't run. I couldn't work out why he'd been brought in. Along the lines of Adamson's Doug Collins "capture".

IIRC Stokoe wanted to give the promoted players a chance in the top division. Didn’t work and he brought in Siddall, Holton, foggon and Lee. Holton and foggon were gone pretty quickly and only Siddall had a long term impact. Did foggon handball for a Man U penalty in the league cup?

Got stupidly excited with the Foggon signing as my dad mentioned he was good at the mags and played for Man Utd I was only a kid and knew nowt,( how times have changed I'm old now 😀) and couldn't believe this fat bloke waddling up the wing was him, he must have been 15 clem ! Did he retire after us??
Me as well because he'd he'd been decentish, imo he retired when he got the cash for signing for us.
Stokoe wanted to give the promoted players a chance in the top division. Didn’t work and he brought in Siddall, Holton, foggon and Lee. Holton and foggon were gone pretty quickly and only Siddall had a long term impact.
By which time, the lack of points had pretty much done for us.

Last edited:

Back