We are on the telly today 27/1/22

I didn’t think so at the time, though it seems strange to admit it. Siddell was a much better keeper at that time so it made the decision correct albeit I don’t know if Monty was forced out or just didn’t want to be back up.
I would probably agree, anything over 25yrds out was usually in if on target, Siddall was an upgrade then Turner was an upgrade on him, time moves even for keepers, all were great servants though, obviously especially Monty.

I didn’t think so at the time, though it seems strange to admit it. Siddell was a much better keeper at that time so it made the decision correct albeit I don’t know if Monty was forced out or just didn’t want to be back up.
Yes, Monty was showing signs of his end at SAFC but arguably for the manager a decision had to be made at some point, and I also am unaware of what went on in the background
anything over 25yrds out was usually in if on target, Siddall was an upgrade then Turner was an upgrade on him, time moves even for keepers, all were great servants though, obviously especially Monty.
Monty's "weak point" had always been being a sucker for long range efforts. Superb at close range but from outside the box keep your fingers crossed he's seen it.

Last edited:
Stokoe eased out Moncur and brought in big Jim Holton from Tommy Doc at Man Utd.
The story goes that the Doc wanted shot of Holton and aware that Sunderland were struggling in the top flight phoned up Stokoe.
I could sell you Holton said the Doc and you will be getting a 6 foot 3 centre half who is good in the air, can tackle, pass the ball and great in the dressing room with the lads. 100,000 would buy him.
Count me out , said Stokoe, I am not one if them.
But the seed having been planted Stokoe eventually paid 60 grand for him.
Another poor signing.

Stokoe eased out Moncur and brought in big Jim Holton from Tommy Doc at Man Utd.
The story goes that the Doc wanted shot of Holton and aware that Sunderland were struggling in the top flight phoned up Stokoe.
I could sell you Holton said the Doc and you will be getting a 6 foot 3 centre half who is good in the air, can tackle, pass the ball and great in the dressing room with the lads. 100,000 would buy him.
Count me out , said Stokoe, I am not one if them.
But the seed having been planted Stokoe eventually paid 60 grand for him.
Another poor signing.
He was also struggling with a recently broken leg so trying to get back to match fitness.

Back