Washington Redskins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surprised the 49ers haven't been mentioned yet. Given they are named after the Californian Gold Rush during a time when slavery was rife.
they aren't renaming the redskins because of the times when they were named, they are renaming them because the name is racist. No idea where you thought the 49ers and Sourdough Sam would get dragged into this.

While they're at it, they should change both halves of the name as they haven't played in Washington at any point this century.

Last edited:
Might as well go for the Washington Foreskins.... because they've been playing like absolute cock for years now
:lol:
Do you hate the Cowboys? :cool:
Nah, he gets a Little Big Horn and shoots Custered all ower.
With all the problems in the US at the minute you'd think they'd been building over a Native American burial ground or summat.
Surprised the 49ers haven't been mentioned yet. Given they are named after the Californian Gold Rush during a time when slavery was rife.
With all the LBGT campaigns I bet the Packers are nervous.

Last edited:
Why do you think this?

Neither Blackhawks or Braves is a derogatory term for native American.

I read an article that says native American names and mascots create a 'hostile learning enviroment' for native American students and that the Blackhawks themselves will at least drop the logo if not the name.

I read an article that says native American names and mascots create a 'hostile learning enviroment' for native American students and that the Blackhawks themselves will at least drop the logo if not the name.
Interesting. I've heard that when it comes to derogatory terms, but not those that honor. Obviously thats a completely subjective point of view.

Do you know what - I’ve always liked the Redskins but it was only 6 or 7 years ago I figured out that it was a reference to Native Americans. I thought it was because they played in red 😂

I think they probably should change their name tbf. Washington Redshirts? Washington Reds?
Unfortunately that would evoke memories of the most famous redshirts who visited Washington, the British Army in 1812 who chased out the US garrison, had a bit of a jolly and burnt down what became the Whitehouse. After we left, to save face and raise morale the President's blackened gaff was quickly painted white. Imagine if the British troops had inadvertently destroyed their stocks of white emulsion and all that was left intact was shitloads of pink, purple or that awful chocolate brown. :lol:
Interesting. I've heard that when it comes to derogatory terms, but not those that honor. Obviously thats a completely subjective point of view.
It's a bit more nuanced but I see it as the difference between having your team called say 'the Shawnee Stalwarts', 'the Mighty Mandans' or 'the Courageous Crows' against a name like 'the Pawnee Parasites' or 'the Lakota Losers'. Names conferring respect against names designed to belittle and mock.

Last edited:

I mean the Blackhawks in particular have a logo of a native American so you'd think if the logo goes then the name will as well.

Good to see this finally happening. It should have been done years ago.
Unfortunately that would evoke memories of the most famous redshirts who visited Washington, the British Army in 1812 who chased out the US garrison, had a bit of a jolly and burnt down what became the Whitehouse. After we left, to save face and raise morale the President's blackened gaff was quickly painted white. Imagine if the British troops had inadvertently destroyed their stocks of white emulsion and all that was left intact was shitloads of pink, purple or that awful chocolate brown. :lol:

Donald Trump says sports names come from Strength though so I'm sure he'd support it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back