Washington Redskins

I used to watch the American football on Channel 4 in the early days.

Joe Theisman and John Riggins were in their pomp then and they were pretty unstoppable and rarely out of the headlines.

Even as a callow youth I used to wonder how the hell they got away with calling themselves the redskins.

What beggars belief is that its taken a further 35 years to get to this point!

Surprised the 49ers haven't been mentioned yet. Given they are named after the Californian Gold Rush during a time when slavery was rife.

Do you know what - I’ve always liked the Redskins but it was only 6 or 7 years ago I figured out that it was a reference to Native Americans. I thought it was because they played in red 😂

I think they probably should change their name tbf. Washington Redshirts? Washington Reds?

Liked the Cowboys and Lions back then. Loved Elway though. Dragged Denver to god knows how many Super Bowls singlehandedly. Stick him one of the better teams and they’d have won the Super Bowl ten years in a row.

They got their arses handed to them three or four times on the trot. Remember one superbowl against the 49ers. Rice and Co were wearing champions caps by half time :lol:. Bills had a similar run. Back when the NFC was much superior.

I don't think they are a problem because they aren't derogatory terms whereas redskin could be seen to be.

The Indians have already dropped the chief Wahoo logo and the Blackhawks logo depicts a red indian so it could be fun and games yet like...the Florida State Seminoles bring a bloke dressed up as a red indian out on a horse and he hoys a spear into the turf and that..someone will be complaining.

I used to watch the American football on Channel 4 in the early days.

Joe Theisman and John Riggins were in their pomp then and they were pretty unstoppable and rarely out of the headlines.

Even as a callow youth I used to wonder how the hell they got away with calling themselves the redskins.

What beggars belief is that its taken a further 35 years to get to this point!
Me too. I always had a soft spot for the 'Skins since the '83 Superbowl, where they kept just giving the ball to Riggins, and he would get enough yards for a first down while killing the clock. Nine straight times to end the game! He got 140 rushing yards and two touchdowns, and earned my eternal admiration! Not the most beautiful kind of football but by Christ he was a tough SoB.

The Indians have already dropped the chief Wahoo logo and the Blackhawks logo depicts a red indian so it could be fun and games yet like...the Florida State Seminoles bring a bloke dressed up as a red indian out on a horse and he hoys a spear into the turf and that..someone will be complaining.
Fair enough on the last one. Can't say I'm familiar with the Cleveland logo but I don't think there is that much wrong with having a picture of an Indian as long as its not derogatory. Redskins could change their name but keep the logo. I suppose they should ask members of the Indian community see what they think.

Then there's the Atlanta Braves..Florida State Seminoles..Kansas City Chiefs..Chicago Blackhawks..Cleveland Indians..
Nope. None of these are seen as derogatory terms for native american. The term Redskin is akin to the N word. I haven't heard of a concerted effort to rename these teams. The push to rename the Redskins has been ongoing for nearly all the time I have been here... likely before

Fair enough on the last one. Can't say I'm familiar with the Cleveland logo but I don't think there is that much wrong with having a picture of an Indian as long as its not derogatory. Redskins could change their name but keep the logo. I suppose they should ask members of the Indian community see what they think.

I know but if they’re going to change the name Redskins then I’d imagine the picture of a Redskin will have to go as well.

Back