Voting Thread for September - After Dark

Photo of the month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mines a canon eos300d, a bit dated but can't afford to upgrade just yet. What browser do you use? For Firefox or ie you can download an exif reader or viewer add on. Just right click any photo/ view exif data, and all the details pop up. Some others you just hover over the pic.

Cheers.

I don't want to download any more stuff! :) Easier to ask you; and it is just for helping me choose my votes.

I'd like to know if LK used her point and shoot camera or an SLR? How much post processing? Really like it, but want to know more.

thanks :-D i have no idea what slr is :oops: but i used my digital camera. this is it
Logon or register to see this image
it was a present from the in laws, it's just very basic which is why i was so reluctant to enter at first, as i picture you all having top of the range posh photographers cameras

i used the night setting and got the little squares up on the screen so i could try and get it centred (dunno what the technical name for that is) when taking the picture, and then that website you told me about - picnik - to crop it slightly and lighten etc. i nearly changed it to black and white as it seemed more like an 'after dark' setting, but i liked the look of the pink tinge that came from the set lights hitting ross so never.

i loved your picture, it was a totally different take on the theme and was very vibrant :-D

thanks :-D i have no idea what slr is :oops: but i used my digital camera. this is it it was a present from the in laws, it's just very basic which is why i was so reluctant to enter at first, as i picture you all having top of the range posh photographers cameras

i used the night setting and got the little squares up on the screen so i could try and get it centred (dunno what the technical name for that is) when taking the picture, and then that website you told me about - picnik - to crop it slightly and lighten etc. i nearly changed it to black and white as it seemed more like an 'after dark' setting, but i liked the look of the pink tinge that came from the set lights hitting ross so never.

i loved your picture, it was a totally different take on the theme and was very vibrant :-D
Thank you both for your reply and your comments!

mine went to ThankHeavenForShed 7 - i like photos that give a different perspective on an everyday scene, and i think this does it quite well. i also think the colours and lighting are spot on.

I like cartman's as well, but didn't know i could vote for more than one :oops: that sky makes for a great background and is a really nice contrast against penshaw

I voted for three. Forgot to add C&C to my entry if anyone has any comments I'm happy to hear them. Lucky Nickers is my fav this month, good shot from a crowd and has great atmosphere.
Liked superkevs but hate the post and bin, cropped out might have done it.
I quite like not spavin too but just seemed like there was something missing, somebody sitting in the seats maybe, not sure, same for shed7 needed something/someone in the frame.

Voted for Peachbum. Not for its technical excellence but purely for its artistic message. Slightly reminiscent of Andy Warhol. (should have changed the colours tho, like a negitive)

Voted for Smoker. The photo interested me the mot.

I wish i had also voted for Cartman, as it's very pleasing on the eye well captured. Should have more votes imo. Should have taken more time before submitting my vote.

SuperKev
- A good shot, but for me it could have been cropped as the post distract the rest of the photo for me.

oh naaaaa

that's what me da said i should do but I thought the post and the dog shit bin added character :lol:

There you go lads

Logon or register to see this image

Bastards it does look better :lol:
Would have voted for that!
Cropping is something I find hard to do, when I take a photo its cos I like what I see through the viewfinder, all to often it looks crap on the PC:confused:
My pic was cropped heavily because the laserpod light trails actually spoilt the pictures.

How and why I voted, please as ever take my comments in good faith and be aware I have never even seen a digital slr let alone used one.

NeilUK1985 - Meets the theme but I am not sure what message you are trying to convey? I think the picture would be better if you cropped the left side down through the tree, there seems to be light entering (?) on the very left and a crop would tighten the picture. The picture does hold the attention which is good.

Mine - I tried several ideas out in the dark but the camera just couldn't cope, ended up with blurry pictures, maybe I should have used a tripod, but a tripod for a point and shoot seems a bit daft. I wanted to find a window with those old fashioned glass tube lights in bright colours, saying something like "piano and jazz bar" and maybe someone leaning in the doorway smoking, but sadly I never found what I was looking for.

Robcal - love this, and breaking the rule of thirds is exactly right for this composition. I guess it was a digital camera you used by the way the sun "spills", I think iirc film doesn't have this effect. Vote. Picture of the month for me.

Groofwoofgrowl - A better picture of the moon than I have ever taken. I can only suggest cropping the tree out completely and then the moon would be on a third rather than dead centre.

Superkev - What am I meant to be looking at? What has a rusty gate got to do with afterdark? I am confused :) As others have said crop all the stuff out that detracts from we are meant to be looking at. I wouldn't have used flash, because it is like daylight at the front of the picture and night at the back.

Not Spavin - I really like this picture. Did you use a starburst filter? The station lights look like you did, or are they like that because of the timed exposure? Vote.

Kubicki85 - The picture is a bit nothingy and it actually looks like it was taken in daylight and altered, or you camera couldn't cope with the moonlight perhaps?

Cook - I understand that you took this picture after dark and this was the effect you got. I quite like the end result but whether it meets the theme as a picture I am not sure.

Cartman - lovely colours! I personally would have laid down and taken the photo at a different angle to get rid of the bright yellow light at the base, it detracts from your otherwise well taken photograph.

ThankHeaven4shed7 - But there is a light at the end of the tunnel? Have I missed something? :confused: An unusual picture well taken. Would a picture of just the tunnel without the mauve/turquoise/white lights to the left produced a stronger image?

Ghost of EH7 - Less is more perhaps? Maybe the lads won't agree, but I think if you crop the picture about 1 cm below the navel you get a stunning image. Try it! The lighting is perfect when cropped. Vote (for the cropped version)

Amnorrageordie - Really like this. I must be in crop mode today, crop all the left off up to the fireworks perhaps? I prefer night pictures when there is marginally more light in the sky but I do realise the fireworks were obviously later. Actually this picture is good not cropped too :lol: Vote

Lucky Knickers - Very good entry, again I'd have been pleased with that entry. Just shows what you can do with a point and shoot and a little bit of piknik. I think, as you suggested, b+w would have worked too. Composition is excellent. Vote.

Smoker - Sorry smoker, this really does nothing for me, but you've got a cracking load of votes so you've obviously done something right. :)

Clyde - a bit too "clever", I'm not keen on all the yellow lines, but I would imagine others could really like it. It doesn't especially meet the theme does it?

Hully2000 - A very good photo. Can't fault it really, but for some reason it doesn't reach me.

you keep saying "doesn't really meet the theme"....if something was took when it's dark outside then it met the theme....but you voted for a pic that had the sun in it, which maybe "doesn't meet the theme"..just saying like.

Not Spavin - I really like this picture. Did you use a starburst filter? The station lights look like you did, or are they like that because of the timed exposure? Vote.

Thanks.

I took this on one of these, so no filter was used. It's a semi auto camera, so I selected the smallest aperture (f22), then the camera selects the shutter speed (about 5 seconds I think). I rested the camera on a bin - this shot worked OK, but I have many that didn't ;) Lights start to take the shape of the lens aperture on long exposures, which is why the lights are that vaguely diamond shape.

I fiddled about with the colours a tiny bit in Picnic as a it was ever so slightly overexposed. Very little difference between this and the original though.

How does Clyde's picture meet the theme any less than Robcal's sunrise picture, Lucky nickers festival pic or EH7's torso? I think you are at risk of over-cerebralising Peachbum. Not all art needs to be full of literal meaning.

ThankHeaven4shed7 - But there is a light at the end of the tunnel? Have I missed something? :confused:

Possibly you're missing the fact that it is quite clearly dark out and that at the end of the tunnel there is, except for the light dangling from near the end of the tunnel, a big, dark square.

An unusual picture well taken.

That is absolutely enough to keep me happy. Two of my three main criteria met. The other is to say a bit about the author of the image - in this case,I am trapped in a cage which, in my case is this city that I hate.

Would a picture of just the tunnel without the mauve/turquoise/white lights to the left produced a stronger image?

I absolutely disagree. I believe that the street lights provide further visual information which is essential to both the composition and the meaning of the image. Without them, the image is dark on one side and unbalanced. It also helps to provide the context of an urban setting at night.

I'm pretty happy with my image this month. I wanted to produce a bold image which stood out, and I'm pretty confident that I have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back