Voting Thread for September - After Dark

Photo of the month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly you're missing the fact that it is quite clearly dark out and that at the end of the tunnel there is, except for the light dangling from near the end of the tunnel, a big, dark square.

That is absolutely enough to keep me happy. Two of my three main criteria met. The other is to say a bit about the author of the image - in this case,I am trapped in a cage which, in my case is this city that I hate.

I absolutely disagree. I believe that the street lights provide further visual information which is essential to both the composition and the meaning of the image. Without them, the image is dark on one side and unbalanced. It also helps to provide the context of an urban setting at night.

I'm pretty happy with my image this month. I wanted to produce a bold image which stood out, and I'm pretty confident that I have done.

I like it. If I can just say one thing in the spirit of constructive C&C, what doesn't come across is that it's an unhappy photo about feeling trapped. One of the reasons why, I think, is that the colours in the photo are actually so bright and wonderful - turquoise and yellow. I wonder if you put it into black and white whether it would look altogether more sombre and dark?

I like it. If I can just say one thing in the spirit of constructive C&C, what doesn't come across is that it's an unhappy photo about feeling trapped. One of the reasons why, I think, is that the colours in the photo are actually so bright and wonderful - turquoise and yellow. I wonder if you put it into black and white whether it would look altogether more sombre and dark?

Tried it but it just looked shit!

Amnorrageordie - Really like this. I must be in crop mode today, crop all the left off up to the fireworks perhaps? I prefer night pictures when there is marginally more light in the sky but I do realise the fireworks were obviously later. Actually this picture is good not cropped too :lol: Vote

It is actually heavily cropped from the original as i only have the stock 18-55mm lens. Thanks for the vote though. :)

you keep saying "doesn't really meet the theme"....if something was took when it's dark outside then it met the theme....but you voted for a pic that had the sun in it, which maybe "doesn't meet the theme"..just saying like.

I just like to indicate how and why I have voted how I have. C&C are requested so I do! I haven't commented on the ones with no C&C. I really liked Robcals and (without looking back) his is entitled After The Dark comes The Morning, therefore meeting the theme, and the sky is still dark. I love the simplicity of the picture and the colours. I thought it was the best picture of the month. It probably wasn't the most technically difficult but that isn't what we are looking for is it? It gladdened my spirit. Hence its one and only vote (last time I looked). So obviously most don't agree with me, but that is not important.

I could say why didn't you vote for mine, it meets the theme and isn't that bad. But you didn't and I respect that. We are all different. I try to post positively about every picture.

Your picture is far cleverer than mine, I wouldn't even know how to begin to take a picture like that, but the title and the picture didn't indicate "after dark" to me, (I did put a question mark hinting at a debatable point).

you keep saying "doesn't really meet the theme"....if something was took when it's dark outside then it met the theme....but you voted for a pic that had the sun in it, which maybe "doesn't meet the theme"..just saying like.

In my defence, sunrise definitely comes after dark. Anyway I got a vote! Woo hoo!

How does Clyde's picture meet the theme any less than Robcal's sunrise picture, Lucky nickers festival pic or EH7's torso? I think you are at risk of over-cerebralising Peachbum. Not all art needs to be full of literal meaning.
I don't know what over-cerebralising means.

Festivals and bands tend to play at night (after dark) - Luckyknickers.
EH7's torso hinted at what you might get up to after dark.

So just because I put a question mark about Clyde's meeting the theme or not I am over cerebralising. :?::confused:

Thanks.

I took this on one of these, so no filter was used. It's a semi auto camera, so I selected the smallest aperture (f22), then the camera selects the shutter speed (about 5 seconds I think). I rested the camera on a bin - this shot worked OK, but I have many that didn't ;) Lights start to take the shape of the lens aperture on long exposures, which is why the lights are that vaguely diamond shape.

I fiddled about with the colours a tiny bit in Picnic as a it was ever so slightly overexposed. Very little difference between this and the original though.
I never knew that - :-D

Possibly you're missing the fact that it is quite clearly dark out and that at the end of the tunnel there is, except for the light dangling from near the end of the tunnel, a big, dark square.

That is absolutely enough to keep me happy. Two of my three main criteria met. The other is to say a bit about the author of the image - in this case,I am trapped in a cage which, in my case is this city that I hate.

I absolutely disagree. I believe that the street lights provide further visual information which is essential to both the composition and the meaning of the image. Without them, the image is dark on one side and unbalanced. It also helps to provide the context of an urban setting at night.

I'm pretty happy with my image this month. I wanted to produce a bold image which stood out, and I'm pretty confident that I have done.
Interesting reply. I feel for you if you are stuck in a city you hate. I can see what you were trying to tell now (pictorially) and yes you are right about the lights on the left giving more information. As I didn't know the story behind the picture I was probably looking at it more artistically (hence my comments).

Remember though, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! :)

I just like to indicate how and why I have voted how I have. C&C are requested so I do! I haven't commented on the ones with no C&C. I really liked Robcals and (without looking back) his is entitled After The Dark comes The Morning, therefore meeting the theme, and the sky is still dark. I love the simplicity of the picture and the colours. I thought it was the best picture of the month. It probably wasn't the most technically difficult but that isn't what we are looking for is it? It gladdened my spirit. Hence its one and only vote (last time I looked). So obviously most don't agree with me, but that is not important.

I could say why didn't you vote for mine, it meets the theme and isn't that bad. But you didn't and I respect that. We are all different. I try to post positively about every picture.

Your picture is far cleverer than mine, I wouldn't even know how to begin to take a picture like that, but the title and the picture didn't indicate "after dark" to me, (I did put a question mark hinting at a debatable point).

ok fair enough, didnt ask you why you didnt vote for mine though, was only saying that you mentioned a few didnt meet the theme when clearly they did, and i wasnt having a go at robcal either.

Any chance of an idiots guide to posting pics from flickr? Tried about 10 times with that one, but could only ever get the small version up. Link to the album: linky

Think the photo I chose in the end was DSCF2382

Ahh, scrap that, just worked it out.

Better late than never:

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Any chance of an idiots guide to posting pics from flickr? Tried about 10 times with that one, but could only ever get the small version up. Link to the album: linky

Think the photo I chose in the end was DSCF2382

Ahh, scrap that, just worked it out.

Better late than never:

Has digital still not found a cure for that sun blooming problem?

Cartman - lovely colours! I personally would have laid down and taken the photo at a different angle to get rid of the bright yellow light at the base, it detracts from your otherwise well taken photograph.

That wouldn't have worked either. The only way he would have been able to avoid the bright yellow light at the base would have been to take the pic in daylight.

OK, Ive never photographed it, but I might have tried another standpoint?? It was only a quick point.:)

That's the pic that I wanted to take as I deliberately went on the night on a full moon but from the south side (where Carty's took his from) there isn't anyway that you can get the monument in and the moon.

So I'm guessing that it was either the North Side (brave man) or a fair bit of jiggery pokery afterwards (had a quick look of about the first 10 pages of flikr and all the night shots are taken from the south and all have the bright light at the right hand side in).

Mind you not sure why I'm sticking up for Carty :lol:

Last edited:
Nice one Andy. Comfortably the best photo in one of the strongest months yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back