Visiting a dog owners house etiquette

Honestly we have 4 dogs and our house certainly doesn't hum. I occasionally do a reality check with visitors and ask them just in case we have become de-sensitised. Might be that we have tiled floors over here, ie an absence of fitted carpets and ours are outside a lot and get loads of exercise so they are healthy.
I have been in houses that have hummed but it struck me that the dogs were overweight and /or under exercised.

Should healthy, well groomed, properly exercised dogs stink? One's that aren't stressed by being left alone for too long. Serious question?

Mind having said that Old Harry (in the avatar) can occasionally let one rip when he's in the car.
As for turning up at someone else's house with a dog I wouldn't dream of it unless there ¡s a specific invitation, same way if someone came here and started kicking off I'd not take kindly.
I don't think being well kept is relevant- it's their scent that stinks imho

What would you do if someone you knew came to your door with their dog and expected that you just let the dog in your house?
Happened to us. I really like dogs but the bairn is allergic. It's a shame because it's made him very wary of them.

We had a guest show up with a dog, which is great and all, except for the above. I put the dog outside and it just cries. Not really fair on the dog. I let it in and the bairn is on edge, getting itchy and wheezy and that. We have to fill him up with medicine. Not really fair on him. In the end I tried to just keep the dog in the one room to limit the effect it was having.

Luckily they didn't stay long but aye, my advice for people with dogs would be to not do that.

I am astounded by the number of people – adults and children of all ages – who seem to be absolutely shit scared of dogs.

Ridiculous.

Honestly we have 4 dogs and our house certainly doesn't hum. I occasionally do a reality check with visitors and ask them just in case we have become de-sensitised. Might be that we have tiled floors over here, ie an absence of fitted carpets and ours are outside a lot and get loads of exercise so they are healthy.
I have been in houses that have hummed but it struck me that the dogs were overweight and /or under exercised.

Should healthy, well groomed, properly exercised dogs stink? One's that aren't stressed by being left alone for too long. Serious question?

Mind having said that Old Harry (in the avatar) can occasionally let one rip when he's in the car.
As for turning up at someone else's house with a dog I wouldn't dream of it unless there ¡s a specific invitation, same way if someone came here and started kicking off I'd not take kindly.

Your guests are lying to you.

Last edited:
It was my grandmas 80th yesterday so my mum had hosted a chimps tea party at their house. Mums brother shows up with his wife and kids and the kids immediately start screaming and crying over my mums 3 month old Dacshund puppy and partially sighted 6 year old toy poodle neither of which were a bit interested in them. Wife then demands no dogs can be in the house as they upset her children.

I mean if you don't like dogs you're a wrong'un but each to their own just ignore them. Surely a dog that's got not interest in you can't be much of a problem? Also in my eyes it was quite rude to start making demands in a strangers house. I could understand if the kids were toddlers and these were big dogs fussing maybe but not an 11 and 9 year old with 2 tiny quiet dogs who were enjoying chews in their basket.

It caused a bit of a rift so interested to know if anyone thinks this was unreasonable?

They should be disowned and told to fuck off at this bit alone.

Secondly anyone who doesn't like dogs is clearly a massive nonce.

Get the dogs to shit in the wifeys knicker drawer.
The ubiquitous SMB answer!

When I was younger, my sister used to bring her friends around to our house and sometimes they would go off into the garden to sunbathe. Our dog was always laying on the lawn when it was sunny and he took a dislike to one particular girl who 'didn't like dogs.' The dog (a black Jack Russell) never crapped in our garden - so you can now guess how this is going to end! Whenever she came around he would wait for her to get up on the sun lounger and settle into a sitting up position, then he would nip round behind her and curl out a huge turd just under where she was sitting. Dogs, they know the score!

In answer to the OP, I would have asked the wifey why her children didn't like dogs - had they been attacked or something? Ignored whatever she said and introduced the kids to one of the dogs, whilst holding the dog securely on my lap. Then asked the kids if they would like to give the dog one of his treats and finish up by showing how to stroke the dog and explain that just stroking or patting the top of a dog's head isn't a good idea because the dog thinks you are trying to be his boss and ask how they would feel if a strange person came up to them and started patting them on the top of their head?

If that didn't work out then I would have pointed out that children would be popping in and out of the garden so you couldn't guarantee that the dogs wouldn't get back inside, but if your children wanted to go into the garden then I will keep the dogs with me, where I could make sure that they wouldn't bother her children.

If that wasn't satisfactory for her then I would tell her that if her children were so afraid of dogs then she should have checked ahead of the visit. Then I would say that she was obviously a poor mother for letting her children become so afraid of dogs in the first place and subsequently for taking them to a new location where she hadn't checked beforehand if it was going to be safe for her children. Then I would say how I understand her concerns and that I would hate to be the cause of triggering her children's discomfort. Finally I would ask if she would like for me to get her children a party bag to take away with them?

It was my grandmas 80th yesterday so my mum had hosted a chimps tea party at their house. Mums brother shows up with his wife and kids and the kids immediately start screaming and crying over my mums 3 month old Dacshund puppy and partially sighted 6 year old toy poodle neither of which were a bit interested in them. Wife then demands no dogs can be in the house as they upset her children.

I mean if you don't like dogs you're a wrong'un but each to their own just ignore them. Surely a dog that's got not interest in you can't be much of a problem? Also in my eyes it was quite rude to start making demands in a strangers house. I could understand if the kids were toddlers and these were big dogs fussing maybe but not an 11 and 9 year old with 2 tiny quiet dogs who were enjoying chews in their basket.

It caused a bit of a rift so interested to know if anyone thinks this was unreasonable?
Imagine putting a dog before a human being never mind a relation.

I had a couple of mates who had Dulux dogs, their houses hummed.
Paintwork class though?

Last edited:

If you don't like dogs then don't go to events that they are going to be at.

I have two dogs, and if people visiting are scared of them to the point where they want them in another room, then I say goodbye to those people.

Oddly enough, I considered posting a similar themed thread just last week.

What would you do if someone you knew came to your door with their dog and expected that you just let the dog in your house?

This has happened. We go to the pub. The dog doesn’t get in the house.

Don’t have anything against dogs but I hate it when the in-laws bring theirs to our house. I don’t want dog hair all over or I’d get one. Mentioned it before and they still proceed. Going to stop answering the door

Back