Visiting a dog owners house etiquette

It was my grandmas 80th yesterday so my mum had hosted a chimps tea party at their house. Mums brother shows up with his wife and kids and the kids immediately start screaming and crying over my mums 3 month old Dacshund puppy and partially sighted 6 year old toy poodle neither of which were a bit interested in them. Wife then demands no dogs can be in the house as they upset her children.

I mean if you don't like dogs you're a wrong'un but each to their own just ignore them. Surely a dog that's got not interest in you can't be much of a problem? Also in my eyes it was quite rude to start making demands in a strangers house. I could understand if the kids were toddlers and these were big dogs fussing maybe but not an 11 and 9 year old with 2 tiny quiet dogs who were enjoying chews in their basket.

It caused a bit of a rift so interested to know if anyone thinks this was unreasonable?

It was my grandmas 80th yesterday so my mum had hosted a chimps tea party at their house. Mums brother shows up with his wife and kids and the kids immediately start screaming and crying over my mums 3 month old Dacshund puppy and partially sighted 6 year old toy poodle neither of which were a bit interested in them. Wife then demands no dogs can be in the house as they upset her children.

I mean if you don't like dogs you're a wrong'un but each to their own just ignore them. Surely a dog that's got not interest in you can't be much of a problem? Also in my eyes it was quite rude to start making demands in a strangers house. I could understand if the kids were toddlers and these were big dogs fussing maybe but not an 11 and 9 year old with 2 tiny quiet dogs who were enjoying chews in their basket.

It caused a bit of a rift so interested to know if anyone thinks this was unreasonable?

Your auntie is in the wrong 100%, her kids need to grow up too

I think you make this up

Your mother's sil sounds like a weapons grade arsehole and is ruining her offspring into the bargain

Oddly enough, I considered posting a similar themed thread just last week.

What would you do if someone you knew came to your door with their dog and expected that you just let the dog in your house?

What would you do if someone you knew came to your door with their dog and expected that you just let the dog in your house?

That's out of order too.

Pisses me off when the sister in law just let's herself in to my house, people should wait to be invited in never mind dogs.

Last edited:
It's the dogs home. I'd have told them to either accept the dogs were there or leave.

Fair enough if the dogs were jumping around being a nuisance but if they're just in their beds and ignoring the visitors, they're not doing any harm.

I wouldn't like that mind. If I was thinking of taking mine, I'd ring in advance and check it was ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

if the dog wasnt invited then it can get to fuck and take its chances with the local cat:cool: population

Back