Virat Kohli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say anything of the sort, I am saying you have to factor world cup performances in when saying someone is by far the best ODI player,

as tbis is the cricket that matters, not a 5 home ODI series against Bangladesh

You are the one making the big claims mate, not me

I know, he is a good player, the stuff about him is way over the top

was the same about de Villiers

Steve Smith gets none of this hyperbole and he averages 61 in test match cricket! 61, thats a good 8 runs more than Virat

Totally agree, it's very much over the top and De Villiers is another good case. I recall a particularly sickening Sky Sports documentary series which had Nasser fawning over him at every opportunity, followed up by a masterclass with Rob Key which I think ended with Key blowing him off and emptying all his savings into De Villiers bank account. The more understated players such as Williamson and Smith, who perhaps make their runs in a less glamorous fashion, are often overlooked despite having better records in some cases.

Totally agree, it's very much over the top and De Villiers is another good case. I recall a particularly sickening Sky Sports documentary series which had Nasser fawning over him at every opportunity, followed up by a masterclass with Rob Key which I think ended with Key blowing him off and emptying all his savings into De Villiers bank account. The more understated players such as Williamson and Smith, who perhaps make their runs in a less glamorous fashion, are often overlooked despite having better records in some cases.

Absolutely agree aye, all fantastic players by the way, but some just get way more praise than others for no particular reason, maybe it is the style thing

Only averages 46 outside of India in test match cricket. Came as a surprise as I thought he averaged more than Bradman given the hyperbole from most commentators.
Only averages 46 outside of India in test match cricket. Came as a surprise as I thought he averaged more than Bradman given the hyperbole from most commentators.
Joe root averages 45 outside england
Steve smith averages 50 as opposed 77 at home
Williamson averages 49 away from home, 59 at home

Imagine a batsmen averaging more at home madness. Tbf aswell kohli was shite when he first broke into the test side.

Imagine a batsmen averaging more at home madness. Tbf aswell kohli was shite when he first broke into the test side.

So was Smith, he was batting 6/7 as a leg-spinning all-rounder.

Ultimately you have just proved my point that Williamson and Smith are better batsmen away from home, and Smith is better at home.

So was Smith, he was batting 6/7 as a leg-spinning all-rounder.

Ultimately you have just proved my point that Williamson and Smith are better batsmen away from home, and Smith is better at home.
Fair poimt re smith mind

Theres a case to be made for all of them being the best at test level but.all round kohli is the best batsmen on the.planet .he averages 50 of there about in all three formats

Unheard of

Fair poimt re smith mind

Theres a case to be made for all of them being the best at test level but.all round kohli is the best batsmen on the.planet .he averages 50 of there about in all three formats

Unheard of

Kohli is the best, but not by far or any real discernible distance. At test level I don't think he's the best tbh, his record in limited overs gives him the edge overall across the 3 formats. I actually think he's the weakest test batsman out of the 3.

I know, but thats the point we are making, is he better than them? certainly not better than Smith

Kohli is the best, but not by far or any real discernible distance. At test level I don't think he's the best tbh, his record in limited overs gives him the edge overall across the 3 formats. I actually think he's the weakest test batsman out of the 3.

He certainly isn't the best in test matches like

Fair poimt re smith mind

Unheard of

Wey Root averages 50 in 2 of them for starters

Last edited:
He's averaged 55 away since the tour of England in 2014.

A lot myself included used that as a stick to beat him with. Which blinded us into seeing how brilliant of a test player he is.

He's by no means Bradman but then nobody is. Smith still the best test batsman currently. Root should be.

Last edited:

A lot myself included used that as a stick to beat him with. Which blinded us into seeing how brilliant of a test player he is.

He's by no means Bradman but then nobody is. Smith still the best test batsman currently. Root should be.
Seems to get ignored cause he struggled here years ago though .Lets be honest better batsmen than kohli struggle in england when its swinging round corners.

I know, but thats the point we are making, is he better than them? certainly not better than Smith

He certainly isn't the best in test matches like

Wey Root averages 50 in 2 of them for starters
Roots test average dropped below 50 hasnt it?

Dropped loads last couple year .

Hes also got about 30 less 100s than kohli in international cricket.

Last edited:
Seems to get ignored cause he struggled here years ago though .Lets be honest better batsmen than kohli struggle in england when its swinging round corners.

Roots test average dropped below 50 hasnt it?

Dropped loads last couple year .

Hes also got about 30 less 100s than kohli in international cricket.

Has it? Must be just.

You get the point we are making like, nobody is saying he isn’t brilliant, he is, just sometimes need to drop the hyperbole about him

I will always defend English batsman

There is no way the likes on KP, Root, Strauss, Cook, Bell etc could consistently average 50s

England is the hardest place to bat in the world, the ball can do something almost all of the day

So can’t compare really

Kohli was mint in the recent series, no doubt about it

Last edited:
Has it? Must be just.

You get the point we are making like, nobody is saying he isn’t brilliant, he is, just sometimes need to drop the hyperbole about him

I will always defend English batsman

There is no way the likes on KP, Root, Strauss, Cook, Bell etc could consistently average 50s

England is the hardest place to bat in the world, the ball can do something almost all of the day

So can’t compare really

Kohli was mint in the recent series, no doubt about it
Root gets himself out though.

He looks the most in player in all conditions and gets himself out time and time again.

Smith and Kohli just have this knack in all conditions to get the hundreds and the big hundreds too.

Root gets himself out though.

He looks the most in player in all conditions and gets himself out time and time again.

Smith and Kohli just have this knack in all conditions to get the hundreds and the big hundreds too.

They don’t play half their cricket in England like

People in England play more shots as eventually you’ll get out

Roots 100 against Oz after we bowled them out for 60 was one of best I’ve seen

Exactly how you score runs in England

Grinding runs out on flat pitches is different

9 players are averaging more and 8 players have scored more runs than him in the World Cup.

So in terms of best player in the world, he’s so far had a fairly ordinary tournament.

Mind the two biggest games are to come, I expect he’ll score heavily today and on Sunday unfortunately :(
I’d settle to be 8th best to be honest. Ten teams, 6 batsmen each, average would be 20th to 40th range.

I didn't say anything of the sort, I am saying you have to factor world cup performances in when saying someone is by far the best ODI player,

as tbis is the cricket that matters, not a 5 home ODI series against Bangladesh

You are the one making the big claims mate, not me

I know, he is a good player, the stuff about him is way over the top

was the same about de Villiers

Steve Smith gets none of this hyperbole and he averages 61 in test match cricket! 61, thats a good 8 runs more than Virat
Aye but he’s a cheating Australian get.

I’d settle to be 8th best to be honest. Ten teams, 6 batsmen each, average would be 20th to 40th range.

Aye but he’s a cheating Australian get.

Aye certainly counts against him! Rightly so too

Gonna be very interesting to see how he goes this summer

Warner has been very poor in England when it matters too to be fair

They don’t play half their cricket in England like

People in England play more shots as eventually you’ll get out

Roots 100 against Oz after we bowled them out for 60 was one of best I’ve seen

Exactly how you score runs in England

Grinding runs out on flat pitches is different
I'm not on about just in England. He should have had 3 or 4 tons in India and he got 1 iirc.

Same in the Ashes only he got 0. We lost matches we should have perhaps won had he truly anchored in the innings.

Last edited:
How is England the holy grail like :lol:
Its a proper English attitude like if you don't do something in England/ against England then you aren't out special
Yet when our players fail abroad its overlooked

I'm not on about just in England. He should have had 3 or 4 tons in India and he got 1 iirc.

Same in the Ashes only he got 0. We lost matches we should have perhaps won had he truly anchored in the innings.

Hes made 14 hundreds away from home and 11 at home

22 odi hundreds away from home 19 at home .

Shite outside india

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back