Vintage Hi-Fi

Found this interesting site in Marbella

Some gorgeous stuff on there.
I bought the R232 from an old bloke in Rugby, his house was absolutely chocca with stuff like that.
Was single funny enough.
Totally understand the upgrade bug, I had it for years, now I step back and try and enjoy my system, except for the occasional ‘upgrade’ :). Hopefully you are still using ProAc speakers.
It was @JAZZMANB who had the ProAc's?

Last edited:

Probably not quite as old as you were asking... but I run a 2003 Michell Gyrodec into a Roksan Caspian pre-power combo - which were all bought secondhand.... that pushes a pair of PMC FB-1's that I bought new about 20 years ago.... sound is great, and I doubt I'll change any of it - unless I have to replace something that's failed! :)

Probably not quite as old as you were asking... but I run a 2003 Michell Gyrodec into a Roksan Caspian pre-power combo - which were all bought secondhand.... that pushes a pair of PMC FB-1's that I bought new about 20 years ago.... sound is great, and I doubt I'll change any of it - unless I have to replace something that's failed! :)
PMCs are supposed to be the business, just missed out on some a couple of weeks ago before I bought the B&Ws.
If I'd bought them I wouldn't have been able to get the ST60 though.

PMCs are supposed to be the business, just missed out on some a couple of weeks ago before I bought the B&Ws.
If I'd bought them I wouldn't have been able to get the ST60 though.
I'd had various sets of speakers before, but they've never carried enough bass for my liking... but the PMC's are fab... the bass port kicks the bass out in buckets and goes really really deep - was playing The Martian soundtrack the other day and the way the bass rolls of really deep is wonderful! Pretty much the best I've heard - and that will fit in a normal living room! :)

Some gorgeous stuff on there.
I bought the R232 from an old bloke in Rugby, his house was absolutely chocca with stuff like that.
Was single funny enough.

It was @JAZZMANB who had the ProAc's?
Sorry to say that I sold all my Technics gear, the SL1200 would fetch loads now, ended up just keeping the Amp. Love the retro gear, but technology improves, I have Fyne F302i floorstnaders and an Onkyo Amp playing mp3's and sounds gorgeous.

Any pictures of the Gyrodec - I really fancy one, just can’t justify the expense?

Any pictures of the Gyrodec - I really fancy one, just can’t justify the expense?
Aye.... here it is... untitled_2_Oct14.JPG

Bought it secondhand... replaced the main bearing, springs, belt... and put a new cartridge on it - a Goldring 1042 and added the better mains supply (which I bought with my Nectar points!). Bought it to digitise the 450 vinyl albums I have from the 70-80's... which I've pretty much done now - recorded to flac and then streamed through the rest of the system.... but, I can't bring myself to part with it coz it is just so good... and wonderful to look at! :)

Aye.... here it is... untitled_2_Oct14.JPG

Bought it secondhand... replaced the main bearing, springs, belt... and put a new cartridge on it - a Goldring 1042 and added the better mains supply (which I bought with my Nectar points!). Bought it to digitise the 450 vinyl albums I have from the 70-80's... which I've pretty much done now - recorded to flac and then streamed through the rest of the system.... but, I can't bring myself to part with it coz it is just so good... and wonderful to look at! :)
A wonderful piece of equipment- one of my objects of desire.

The only vintage gear I have left is a pair of Tannoy Gold speakers that I bought in my first hifi purchase. Good enough to be complimenting the class A amp that I own now.

Last edited:
I'm having a bit of an upgrade fever.
Getting rid of the B&W 606s (too bright) and have just got some Revel F35s. Also got my eye on a Krell Cav 300i so my Arcam FMJ A19 will be up for sale soon.
It's a worry like.

Back