Vintage Hi-Fi

Anyone got any really old stuff? Not 90's 00's (my main hifi is an arcam 7r amp, nad cd player, mordaunt short speakers), but 1960's, 70's gear?

I've just bought a pair of B&O M series speakers from 1963'ish, cabinets/grilles are like new, but one of the bloody woofers has gone (you can hear the coil scratch) :cry: I'm gutted as they only set me back £45 (bloke is giving me my money back).

I'm trying to get a 60's 70's set up to just play a turntable.
Chucked out some good technics gear and kef speakers about 15 year ago. Just gathering dust. Bought it about 78 i think

Thought it would have been an earlier issue with those looks.

Had my first Garrard SP25 and an Armstrong 521 with Wharfedale Dentons by then. Happy days in Tottenham Court Road.
The Hacker's never changed much, from what I gather. They were big and heavy record players, not really that portable. The earlier models were blue and cream and I forget what they were called, possibly Gondolier or something similar. They were valve and were made in the early 60s.
Yes, I remember Tottenham Court Road being the place to get HiFi gear. Haven't been there for ages but I suppose most of those shops have gone now, sadly.

The Hacker's never changed much, from what I gather. They were big and heavy record players, not really that portable. The earlier models were blue and cream and I forget what they were called, possibly Gondolier or something similar. They were valve and were made in the early 60s.
Yes, I remember Tottenham Court Road being the place to get HiFi gear. Haven't been there for ages but I suppose most of those shops have gone now, sadly.

I've got a search set up on Gumtree for Hacker as I'm after one. This ones popped up. Hacker Gondolier GP42 | in Brentry, Bristol | Gumtree

I've got a search set up on Gumtree for Hacker as I'm after one. This ones popped up.
£65 is a really great price for one of these. Not a lot can go wrong with them, to be honest so it's a good investment. Even if you had to spend £50 on a service it's still a bargain, I reckon.

£65 is a really great price for one of these. Not a lot can go wrong with them, to be honest so it's a good investment. Even if you had to spend £50 on a service it's still a bargain, I reckon.
And it's the same as the one I bought with the separate speaker. A terrific record player.

And it's the same as the one I bought with the separate speaker. A terrific record player.
I'm in Bristol in March, might see if he'll keep it for me.

I've just noticed my amp is actually the Alpha 8r (my old one was the 7). I can get an Alpha 8P (power amp) for £100, is it worth getting to bi-amp the speakers - anyone done owt like this?
My set up is bi wired,Arcam stuff into Pro Ac speakers .It does sound amazing and its a pain when you move house or decorate etc but is it an improvement ,who knows ? Only ever bi wired it from the start

My set up is bi wired,Arcam stuff into Pro Ac speakers .It does sound amazing and its a pain when you move house or decorate etc but is it an improvement ,who knows ? Only ever bi wired it from the start

I've bi-wired before but I'm on about bi-amping some Rega RX3 speakers I've hopefully got coming.

Been a while since the upgrade bug has bitten but I've had it bad recently.
Upgraded the amp a while ago to a Arcam A19 FMJ and have just bought a QED r232 turntable. Also bought some B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition but not really sure if they're an upgrade on the Rega RX3 (they just sound different).
Main upgrade though is an Arcam ST60 streamer which is just superb, DAC is that good I've got the CD player going through it so selling the TEAC UD-501 to try to offset the spend 😞
Logon or register to see this image

Been a while since the upgrade bug has bitten but I've had it bad recently.
Upgraded the amp a while ago to a Arcam A19 FMJ and have just bought a QED r232 turntable. Also bought some B&W 606 S2 Anniversary Edition but not really sure if they're an upgrade on the Rega RX3 (they just sound different).
Main upgrade though is an Arcam ST60 streamer which is just superb, DAC is that good I've got the CD player going through it so selling the TEAC UD-501 to try to offset the spend 😞
Logon or register to see this image
Totally understand the upgrade bug, I had it for years, now I step back and try and enjoy my system, except for the occasional ‘upgrade’ :). Hopefully you are still using ProAc speakers.

Back