Vintage Hi-Fi

Used to have an Arcam amp. The only thing I have left from those days is my Tannoy speakers which are still lusherooni. Are Rega turntables vintage these days cos I have one of them too?

The owld ones are.

I've got an early to mid 80s Arcam Alpha tuner which doesn't get used these days.

I'm open to offers if you're interested

Ah it's ok mate, the only radio I listen to is in the car.

I've had a PM from someone in Sunderland who's is currently selling an A48 for £200 (only two of the channels work though) if you're interested.

I guess he's probably PM'd you too?

Nope, the Arcam will have to do. I'm just trying to piece together an oldish B&O system for the spare room.

Last edited:
I've just noticed my amp is actually the Alpha 8r (my old one was the 7). I can get an Alpha 8P (power amp) for £100, is it worth getting to bi-amp the speakers - anyone done owt like this?

Bought my first real hi fi from Saxons , a Aniston Rd40 which I still use Nad3020b amp and B & W speakers , and a nad tape deck, never stuck my vinyl in the loft.

I've just noticed my amp is actually the Alpha 8r (my old one was the 7). I can get an Alpha 8P (power amp) for £100, is it worth getting to bi-amp the speakers - anyone done owt like this?
Have you every tried a Hacker record player? Early 70s, transistor type. I have one at home and they're superb. They look like a Dansette without the fancy colours but they were the Rolls Royce of portable record players back in the day, or so I was told by the guy that sold me mine!! But he wasn't far wrong, to be fair.

Have you every tried a Hacker record player? Early 70s, transistor type. I have one at home and they're superb. They look like a Dansette without the fancy colours but they were the Rolls Royce of portable record players back in the day, or so I was told by the guy that sold me mine!! But he wasn't far wrong, to be fair.
Logon or register to see this image

This is some random pic off the internet but this is what mine looks like. It's called the Grenadier.

This is some random pic off the internet but this is what mine looks like. It's called the Grenadier.

Hackers were a massive step up from Dansette - this is mine

That’s superb. Great record as well! I had 2 Hackers - one was an early 60s valve in a blue and cream finish. And then this 70s Grenadier. If I’m honest, I prefer the Grenadier. Both came with the extra speaker and they help a great deal.

Impressive number of controls - well up from the on/off/volume and tone on the Dansette. What do they all do?

Impressive number of controls - well up from the on/off/volume and tone on the Dansette. What do they all do?
The three end controls on the right are volume, bass and treble. The push up/down switch next to them on the left is stereo/mono - depending on what position its in. The far left is the on/off switch. I have the matching speaking for this and that really helps a great deal. The sound is very impressive, very full and powerful.

The three end controls on the right are volume, bass and treble. The push up/down switch next to them on the left is stereo/mono - depending on what position its in. The far left is the on/off switch. I have the matching speaking for this and that really helps a great deal. The sound is very impressive, very full and powerful.

Two speakers - will never catch on...

Quite impressive specs for the day. Any idea what the original price was?

Two speakers - will never catch on...

Quite impressive specs for the day. Any idea what the original price was?
:lol: Indeed. The 2 speakers do make a great difference and it's a really loud record player with a very warm sound. I couldn't find out an original price for them but I bet they weren't cheap back in the day. What I did find out was that the Grenadier was introduced the year I was born - 1970.

:lol: Indeed. The 2 speakers do make a great difference and it's a really loud record player with a very warm sound. I couldn't find out an original price for them but I bet they weren't cheap back in the day. What I did find out was that the Grenadier was introduced the year I was born - 1970.

Thought it would have been an earlier issue with those looks.

Had my first Garrard SP25 and an Armstrong 521 with Wharfedale Dentons by then. Happy days in Tottenham Court Road.

Back