Victor Anichebe very close to return...

Status
Not open for further replies.

People can laugh all they want because 'Anichebe', but the fact of the matter is that we actually looked like a football team when he was playing and a genuine attacking threat. We have got no chance of staying up without a massive contribution from him. The way he holds the ball up is invaluable.
Yes, but what people fail to remember is that we had Watmore playing then and we don't now, so Vic's effectiveness will not be the same unless Borini or Khazri also come good.

People can laugh all they want because 'Anichebe', but the fact of the matter is that we actually looked like a football team when he was playing and a genuine attacking threat. We have got no chance of staying up without a massive contribution from him. The way he holds the ball up is invaluable.

I've honestly not seen anyone for Sunderland hold the ball up as well as Anichebe does.

The only one that comes close was Quinn, but even then i think he was more about the flick ons than actual hold up play.

We need to get him fit and offer him another years contract for next season. I know he doesn't appear to have the best fitness record, but he would do so much damage to the championship. Also for free he is worth the risk, as our squad is going to be on it's arse next year, we need as many decent hungry players as we can get.

Yes, but what people fail to remember is that we had Watmore playing then and we don't now, so Vic's effectiveness will not be the same unless Borini or Khazri also come good.
Spot on.
I said in January we needed to sign like for like replacements for Vic and Watmore if we're to stand any chance of staying up. That little spell with the 2 of them up top with Defoe is the only time we have looked like a team with any sort of game plan under Moyes. Unfortunately I very much doubt the 2 mentioned have the pace or willingness to make it work again in the absence of Watmore. If Vic is fit for the run in maybe Gooch or Asoro Should be tried.

Agreed

Watmore is a massive miss, but Anichebe is still effective by himself. He was class at taking it on his chest and cutting infield, it opened up so much space for Defoe to exploit. There's no one at all doing anything similar at the minute.

Spot on.
I said in January we needed to sign like for like replacements for Vic and Watmore if we're to stand any chance of staying up. That little spell with the 2 of them up top with Defoe is the only time we have looked like a team with any sort of game plan under Moyes. Unfortunately I very much doubt the 2 mentioned have the pace or willingness to make it work again in the absence of Watmore. If Vic is fit for the run in maybe Gooch or Asoro Should be tried.

I still think a front 3 of Anichebe, Defoe and Januzaj will be just as good.

The problem we have with Januzaj is that we don't get far enough up the pitch where he is most effective. Having Anichebe as an outlet to get us farther up the pitch would result in Januzaj getting more of the ball also in areas he can hurt teams.

It's just ridiculous though that we're having to rely on Anichebe and have no other option up top. ulloa would have been perfect had Ranieri not been a dick abot it.

dunno if SEB..... but

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport...e-wins-praise-from-watford-defender-1-8460777

this is a massive boost if true. :cool:

Not a world beater obviously, but we are a much more capable and dangerous side with him in it.
If he's fit then he plays. We're at the point of the season where 1 point is useless. We need 2 wins from our next 3 games minimum. I hate Billy Jones for missing that sitter v Burnley. Bit like Rodwell v Leicester last season. Anichibe could save us. He shouldn't be on the training pitch having contact though. Just treat him like Spurs treat Ledley King. Let him do some running just to keep himself fresh

This ^. His performance at Bournemouth was immense, we need a few more of those.

I still think a front 3 of Anichebe, Defoe and Januzaj will be just as good.

The problem we have with Januzaj is that we don't get far enough up the pitch where he is most effective. Having Anichebe as an outlet to get us farther up the pitch would result in Januzaj getting more of the ball also in areas he can hurt teams.

It's just ridiculous though that we're having to rely on Anichebe and have no other option up top. ulloa would have been perfect had Ranieri not been a dick abot it.
Agreed but it's absolutely ridiculous there wasn't a back up plan. 2 windows Moyes has had to sign a decent centre forward to support Defoe. Of all his mistakes this ultimately will be the one that takes us down.

Honestly if we are to have any chance of staying up we need Anichebe back for watford & somehow him staying fit until end of the season

Big Vic is magic. If he plays the last 10 games we'll stay up no question.

Tin hat on but if he'd played every game this season and say Defoe had been injured and only played the games that vic had then we'd be mid table.

For the way we play, Vic is our most important player

Posted after the Burnley game we wouldn't win a game without Anichebe. Wasn't far wrong as we've only won 1 :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back