Vaux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't read thread, will do tomorrow as it looks lively and it's about an important issue. However one thing that strikes me is that Sunderland may be a good city for the mayor model, to cut through local long standing political structures that may perhaps (I stress perhaps) have a touch of the moribund about them. Would love to see someone like Paul Callaghan as mayor. Strikes me as a bloke who a) loves Sunderland and b) is visionary.

Had a referendum abouf 15 years ago and was turned down so probably not likely to happen. The only way there'll be a mayor is if the 4 councils in the south of the region seek a seperate devolution deal to the 3 in the north.

Had a referendum abouf 15 years ago and was turned down so probably not likely to happen. The only way there'll be a mayor is if the 4 councils in the south of the region seek a seperate devolution deal to the 3 in the north.
The referendum was about a regional assembly not a mayor for Sunderland

No sunderland had a referendum a few years before to decide if they wanted a mayor or carry on with a leader & cabinet.
Happy to stand corrected but really?

The referendum was about a regional assembly not a mayor for Sunderland
It's an interesting idea although I'm not sure that the idea of a mayor will particularly fly in Sunderland. The mayor model seems to work best in larger cities that have a different dynamic to a struggling North-East city. However, at least it's a positive idea and would be a break from the existing model that quite a few people seem to want. Most of this thread has involved, when it's been serious, debate about escaping the past.

Despite the disagreements it's obvious that most people genuinely care about the place, just not about how we make that (great) 'leap forward'.

Yup. Hartlepool had a one at the same time. They voted yes, then voted in H'angus the monkey.

Think quite a few had them actually. North Tyneside got one anarl.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/England_and_Wales_mayoral_referendums
16 years was a different universe ago although you may be right that there doesn't seem to be any appetite to revive it.

Last edited:
It's an interesting idea although I'm not sure that the idea of a mayor will particularly fly in Sunderland. The mayor model seems to work best in larger cities that have a different dynamic to a struggling North-East city. However, at least it's a positive idea and would be a break from the existing model that quite a few people seem to want. Most of this thread has involved, when it's been serious, debate about escaping the past.

Despite the disagreements it's obvious that most people genuinely care about the place, just not about how we make that (great) 'leap forward'.

16 years was a different universe ago although you may be right that there doesn't seem to be any appetite to revive it.

I think its more that the mayor role seems to be more linked with devolution these days. And even if there was the appetite for one, dont think we'd get a sunderland one rather a south tyne/wearside one if a devolution deal comes off.

Can't understand people on here going on about wanting more in life and from a house and area and transport links. Then mentioning SEABURN. The "dene of antiquity". Full of stifely old people with droppy to bits houses or young couples with more debt than Russia!!
Parking is a nightmare and I lived there for 12 years it's the pits. The old people think they own the place. Sea road is full of cheap chemist shops charity shops and takeaways. @Boris Bear and @42.
Maybe people are just moving from seaburn rather than die in there dead great aunts cramped 2 stroke 3 bedroom (cos they've had the loft done but not to the regs) quickly built after the war tumble downs!!

Get yourself over the bridge and have a look at ashbrooke! all the houses your talking about are there. The million pound ones the 500k ones in tree lined streets with a lovely pub and park and great sense of community, two minutes from the city centre.

Believe me the average young women today wants the biggest and best house for there money and they don't give a flying fuck about links, schools, commuting or tree lined streets. All they want is when they put their pics on Facebook is for people comment and like thier pictures.
And go to work on a Monday in their mindless little tedious call centre job and stand around the vending machine chatting, saying she hates Sundays ya know because she has to hoover all four bedrooms and she's gutted cos they only have the two en suites.
While all the time the real happy women nod there head and think to themselves "this bitch as never pissed in the sink full of dishes"

Two main reasons seem to be the themes of most of the reports on the subject. Lack of career opportunities and lack of housing. I guess the Siglion venture tries to address both. Bring business into the city and have homes that the people who work in those businesses will want to live in.

Siglion invited me in for a chat (They have invited many residents in) and I had a short chat with the CEO. He's originally from down south but he was saying how he has to go to tyneside for medical care and for many other things because those professionals would rather live in Newcastle.

With a bit of development there's every reason for people to want to live here, particularly because we have a beautiful coastline 5 minutes from the city centre....even if you work on Tyneside, Sunderland should be a place that people want to come home to live in.

Some interesting musings from him:

http://www.bqlive.co.uk/north-east-...an-transforming-the-sunderland-skyline-27690/

I don't hobnob with the council mate ....never met any of them. I know you have a running battle with them but I have no issues with them so long as they improve this city...don't even care if the get some champagne and caviar out of it if they deliver results.

Teal Farm is a good example of what we're talking about here...people want to move there to get a nice house even though it stinks of shit and is infested with flies. Put the same houses in Seaburn and you would be inundated with people wanting to move there. Look at the Bett/Avant homes built next to the rifle range....prices from £285k to £500k and £100k more than the same houses in Marton which is a reasonably nice suburb of middlesbrough.

I have no problem whatsoever with anyone wanting to improve Sunderland.
Why would people come to seaburn to live from Tyneside ya Burke. The coast keeps going ya know. It doesn't stop at Latimers

Last edited:
Haven't read thread, will do tomorrow as it looks lively and it's about an important issue. However one thing that strikes me is that Sunderland may be a good city for the mayor model, to cut through local long standing political structures that may perhaps (I stress perhaps) have a touch of the moribund about them. Would love to see someone like Paul Callaghan as mayor. Strikes me as a bloke who a) loves Sunderland and b) is visionary.

Used to be high up at ONE anarl I think so will have a good idea how best to get funding now that the RDC's have (thankfully) gone by the wayside.

Can't understand people on here going on about wanting more in life and from a house and area and transport links. Then mentioning SEABURN. The "dene of antiquity". Full of stifely old people with droppy to bits houses or young couples with more debt than Russia!!
Parking is a nightmare and I lived there for 12 years it's the pits. The old people think they own the place. Sea road is full of cheap chemist shops charity shops and takeaways. @Boris Bear and @42.
Maybe people are just moving from seaburn rather than die in there dead great aunts cramped 2 stroke 3 bedroom (cos they've had the loft done but not to the regs) quickly built after the war tumble downs!!

Get yourself over the bridge and have a look at ashbrooke! all the houses your talking about are there. The million pound ones the 500k ones in tree lined streets with a lovely pub and park and great sense of community, two minutes from the city centre.

Believe me the average young women today wants the biggest and best house for there money and they don't give a flying fuck about links, schools, commuting or tree lined streets. All they want is when they put their pics on Facebook is for people comment and like thier pictures.
And go to work on a Monday in their mindless little tedious call centre job and stand around the vending machine chatting, saying she hates Sundays ya know because she has to hoover all four bedrooms and she's gutted cos they only have the two en suites.
While all the time the real happy women nod there head and think to themselves "this bitch as never pissed in the sink full of dishes"

Why would people come to seaburn to live from Tyneside ya Burke. The coast keeps going ya know. It doesn't stop at Latimers

You missed off the bit about Argyle Square and it's environs. And wtf is a cheap chemist shop? Have you bought owt in a Lloyd's chemist lately?

Last edited:

Dont think ive really mentioned Seaburn tbf but it is only a few minutes from the city centre and has a zone B metro station. And has really popular schools.

Young people also do like takeaways. My misses is originally from one of those pit villages on the outskirts of Durham, and cant believe how much choice she now has compared to before.

You may have a point with lasses wanting the big new build. I know of one who got one out of the way. Then moved after about a year latet to an older house a lot more central.

And there we have it. Ranting about the vaux site without even a clue at what's being built.

Google it. Its the crane looking thing theyre building
What do you mean there we have it? You just the word Promotory without explaining wjat it even meant it was relate to .

If you had said...have you seen the plans for the Vaux site....id have said yes, and I'm still hugely disappointed that it doesn't appear to include anything I believe will make Sunderland more attractive to visitors from outside the area.

Wow. Are you actually a fully functioning adult yet?

Last edited:
What do you mean there we have it? You just the word Promotory without explaining wjat it even meant it was relate to .

If you had said...have you seen the plans for the Vaux site....id have said yes, and I'm still hugely disappointed that it doesn't appear to include anything I believe will make Sunderland more attractive to visitors from outside the area.

The promontory has been well publicised. That fact you know nothing of it, shows you havent seen whats happening with vaux at all and that you're just full of hot air

Thing is Len, some people are happy with their lot and don't feel the need to be howling at the moon, calling council members murderers, or alienating their missus' family over business disputes. Some people just want a nice place to live where the neighbours dont erect 8 foot signs accusing the police, council and local architect of being corrupt. Some people are proud of working hard to get the nicest house they can in the nicest area they can, rather than bitter and consumed by a pretendy legal case that they're pretendy legal case against everyone in the world.

Think on this Len...the reason your lass pisses in the sink is that she is as loopy as you.

I completely missed that and I would have voted in it! Anyway, time to look at the idea again.
Paul Watson would win by a landslide.

He's achieved more than any other council leader in recent times, leads The Centre for Cities and also leads NECA. Clearly the best candidate

Why do you ask? Do you want to chuck your duds at me?

Last edited:
Used to be high up at ONE anarl I think so will have a good idea how best to get funding now that the RDC's have (thankfully) gone by the wayside.

You missed off the bit about Argyle Square and it's environs. And wtf is a cheap chemist shop? Have you bought owt in a Lloyd's chemist lately?
I only use Lloyds. Am talking proper ashbrooke.

Dont think ive really mentioned Seaburn tbf but it is only a few minutes from the city centre and has a zone B metro station. And has really popular schools.

Young people also do like takeaways. My misses is originally from one of those pit villages on the outskirts of Durham, and cant believe how much choice she now has compared to before.

You may have a point with lasses wanting the big new build. I know of one who got one out of the way. Then moved after about a year latet to an older house a lot more central.
The schools are good al give you that my boy goes to monkey house

Thing is Len, some people are happy with their lot and don't feel the need to be howling at the moon, calling council members murderers, or alienating their missus' family over business disputes. Some people just want a nice place to live where the neighbours dont erect 8 foot signs accusing the police, council and local architect of being corrupt. Some people are proud of working hard to get the nicest house they can in the nicest area they can, rather than bitter and consumed by a pretendy legal case that they're pretendy legal case against everyone in the world.

Think on this Len...the reason your lass pisses in the sink is that she is as loopy as you.

He's achieved more than any other council leader in recent times, leads The Centre for Cities and also leads NECA. Clearly the best candidate

I am not len but I've heard of the bill boards. Tiny who was killed in the club was my dads pal. Do ya really think no one else thinks this way about the council leader.

Last edited:

He's achieved more than any other council leader in recent times.

Is this the guy who is literally incapable of stringing a coherent sentence together? The one whose fyass pops up at a photo op like John Terry at a champions league final.

Always struck me as the archetypal leader of the boys club. Unwittingly kept in power by the people below him and likely held in as much contempt by them as the majority of folk that have a clue.

You are quite an oddball aren't you. I mean seriously, you are a one weird, depraved motherfucker.

Bet your mam and dad are really proud of you kidda.

Last edited:

Loves a ad hominem attack does Boris. Doesn't have a decent defence so plays the man not the ball.

Is this the guy who is literally incapable of stringing a coherent sentence together? The one whose fyass pops up at a photo op like John Terry at a champions league final.

Always struck me as the archetypal leader of the boys club. Unwittingly kept in power by the people below him and likely held in as much contempt by them as the majority of folk that have a clue.

You are quite an oddball aren't you. I mean seriously, you are a one weird, depraved motherfucker.

Bet your mam and dad are really proud of you kidda.
You're the one hoying out comments on the Internet that you wouldn't use in real life kidda

I only use Lloyds. Am talking proper ashbrooke.

The schools are good al give you that my boy goes to monkey house

I am not len but I've heard of the bill boards. Tiny who was killed in the club was my dads pal. Do ya really think no one else thinks this way about the council leader.

You're a funny one Len. Fancy trying to defend a burglar because a chip shop was built opposite your chip shop

Loves a ad hominem attack does Boris. Doesn't have a decent defence so plays the man not the ball.

You may want to give that some thought marra :lol::lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back