Vaux site

I don’t get why Newcastle has to be the yardstick of success for Sunderland. The latter needs to do its own thing and develop its infrastructure accordingly. The former is clearly the economic centre for the Tyneside area......obviously Manchester is the capital of the north overall

im not saying it is the yard stick but it is fundamentally competition for Sunderland for commercial office space in the north east but the competition does include teeside, north Tyneside (Cobalt), Gateshead (Gateshead Quays/team valley) and Durham (Milburngate / akley heads) all are. each of these places all have areas for office accommodation and use the same commercial property agents to try and find the businesses which are looking for new premises in the North East. A business will then assess which location adds the greatest advantage to them, usually if it’s a business that has other offices or do business around the country they will want to be located close to a mainline station- which gives Durham and Newcastle an advantage in the region. This obviously has changed somewhat with Covid-19 and will be interesting to see how the office market will react.

that aside Sunderland does not to find its own niche and I think a sustainable zero carbon infrastructure is how Sunderland will sell itself and standalone in the region (I believe).

as for the bridges presumably it’s to activate the park and lower level much like Newcastle and Gateshead quayside. If I’m honest I doubt they’ll deliver two In tandem unless it’s cost effective to do so.
Yeah, the idea is to make that land easy to access and make more use of the river on both sides down at that level.

im not saying it is the yard stick but it is fundamentally competition for Sunderland for commercial office space in the north east but the competition does include teeside, north Tyneside (Cobalt), Gateshead (Gateshead Quays/team valley) and Durham (Milburngate / akley heads) all are. each of these places all have areas for office accommodation and use the same commercial property agents to try and find the businesses which are looking for new premises in the North East. A business will then assess which location adds the greatest advantage to them, usually if it’s a business that has other offices or do business around the country they will want to be located close to a mainline station- which gives Durham and Newcastle an advantage in the region. This obviously has changed somewhat with Covid-19 and will be interesting to see how the office market will react.

that aside Sunderland does not to find its own niche and I think a sustainable zero carbon infrastructure is how Sunderland will sell itself and standalone in the region (I believe).

Needs its own tagline, summat like Sunderland - Waterfront City and use the waterfront to sell itself. I came up to Sunderland about 18 months ago with two Pompey lads and they didn't even realise it was on the coast.

Needs its own tagline, summat like Sunderland - Waterfront City and use the waterfront to sell itself. I came up to Sunderland about 18 months ago with two Pompey lads and they didn't even realise it was on the coast.

commonly what you hear from people outside the area. Certainly needs something to make people think twice about the place.

City by the sea ✌😎

not sure how much this is actually promoted outside the area mind you.

Plans now submitted for two further buildings.

Great news

Great news. Would be class to stick a rooftop bar / restaurant on one of them. The views over the river to the stadium and out across the two bridges to the sea would be class.

:evil:
Good to see all the local expert architects and building designers giving their opinions already. Let’s build nowt there and blame the council for nothing happening. Ffs man can anybody build anything in this place without criticism? Seen that Hadrian tower in Newcastle? That concrete tower, looks f***ing great doesn’t it.
Yes, god forbid we have any sort of aspiration. We should be happy with square buildings with no character. We should never want for anything iconic, after all, we all hate London and other similar cities.

Yes, god forbid we have any sort of aspiration. We should be happy with square buildings with no character. We should never want for anything iconic, after all, we all hate London and other similar cities.
Have a look at what Berlin are building. There’s similar building going up all around the world. Look at Hadrian tower in Newcastle, a 26 storey box. Or shall we all gloss over that? If you were building with pension fund money, would you want the best return with the smallest investment?

Have a look at what Berlin are building. There’s similar building going up all around the world. Look at Hadrian tower in Newcastle, a 26 storey box. Or shall we all gloss over that? If you were building with pension fund money, would you want the best return with the smallest investment?
Are you serious comparing the architecture of Berlin to what we have in Sunderland?

This is Berlin's town hall.

Logon or register to see this image

yes but iconic is not affordable. Standard good quality office development is probably not viable at the moment. the city needs to get the basics for development right ie a reasonable office market rental tone and property value to make schemes viable for the private sector first. If demand increase it will increase prices and thus allow for more money to be spent on the building.

what buildings do you think are iconic?

Errm that was built in the 1860's :lol:

Can i hoy up a pic of Hylton Castle as an example of Sunderland architecture?
The point was just because Berlin are building similar buildings, there are not building them as the town hall.

I was hoping our town hall would at least have some attempt to be more than run of the mill. It surely should be something that catches the eye.
yes but iconic is not affordable. Standard good quality office development is probably not viable at the moment. the city needs to get the basics for development right ie a reasonable office market rental tone and property value to make schemes viable for the private sector first. If demand increase it will increase prices and thus allow for more money to be spent on the building.

what buildings do you think are iconic?
Things like the V&A in Dundee, I'm sure it's not to everyone liking but it's different.

Last edited:
The point was just because Berlin are building similar buildings, there are not building them as the town hall.

I was hoping our town hall would at least have some attempt to be more than run of the mill. It surely should be something that catches the eye.

Things like the V&A in Dundee, I'm sure it's not to everyone liking but it's different.

And I guarantee that if something 'a bit different' was built the same people would be whinging about ugly monstrosities.

In fact you could argue that the current civic centre falls into that catagory

And I guarantee that if something 'a bit different' was built the same people would be whinging about ugly monstrosities.

In fact you could argue that the current civic centre falls into that catagory

problem with iconic is that it becomes of its time more often than not so likely to date more.

It’s a great building but that received massive grants to build it as is not a standard office it’s a museum. Can’t think of many offices in that kind of design. The designer, Kengo Kuma, is a highly regarded Japanese architect and whilst it would be great to see I just can’t see the council been allowed to do so. People are going mad with how much they are spending on it now never mind if they done one of his designs. Think v and a cost c £80m and is about 80,000sq ft. The new civic centre is more like 200,000sq ft from various news articles.

Last edited:

Great news. No doubt the usual moaning permamiserable arseholes will have a whinge. Backhanders will be mentioned.

Back