Vaux site

its difficult to tell but suspect businesses will be reluctant to commit to new buildings at the moment. It could work in Vaux favour with businesses perhaps looking for smaller premises or to diversify the locations of their staff. I think offices will still be required but perhaps more as meeting, project, collaborative spaces than having a dedicated desk. Some business who are insistent on having offices space may in fact opt for bigger floor space to allow for social distancing measures.

yes thats the plan in fact I think there was 2 (one at the Vaux level and another at the lower level in galleys Gill). At the consultant event there was some suggestion of possibly a 3rd.
3 thats crazy
Some on here will be accusing Sunderland council of wasting money
Aye but it’s underground so you can’t see it.
Does it go to consett

its difficult to tell but suspect businesses will be reluctant to commit to new buildings at the moment. It could work in Vaux favour with businesses perhaps looking for smaller premises or to diversify the locations of their staff. I think offices will still be required but perhaps more as meeting, project, collaborative spaces than having a dedicated desk. Some business who are insistent on having offices space may in fact opt for bigger floor space to allow for social distancing measures.

yes thats the plan in fact I think there was 2 (one at the Vaux level and another at the lower level in galleys Gill). At the consultant event there was some suggestion of possibly a 3rd.

There's a big document on the Riverside development on the council's website which has 2 footbridges on as you described. And mentions new bridges (plural)

Also looks like possibly another bridge across galleys Gill to the one that's already there. Guessing this could be the 3rd?

The current one needs doing up, as it's a bit of a mess

Last edited:

possibly although at those imagining riverside Sunderland engagement sessions im sure there was some discussion about a third being talked about next to St. Peter’s campus?

3 thats crazy
Some on here will be accusing Sunderland council of wasting money

Does it go to consett

not sure it’s crazy. Suspect it’s a plan / ambition for the development and to be delivered over many years. I very much doubt they’d build three any time soon but if they did it would be great. Might trigger getting a few bars/restaurants in the park/ along the river? Could create a canny drinking route from city centre/deptford to the sea front.

not sure it’s crazy. Suspect it’s a plan / ambition for the development and to be delivered over many years. I very much doubt they’d build three any time soon but if they did it would be great. Might trigger getting a few bars/restaurants in the park/ along the river? Could create a canny drinking route from city centre/deptford to the sea front.
Tanks Boris

It’s great the vaux site is being built upon though all the buildings seem to be the same height! Not the most interesting way....no landmark buildings that Sunderland is lacking

Join us to hear about the Riverside Sunderland masterplan, how it has been shaped by the people of Sunderland and what happens next.
About this Event
Riverside Sunderland is a new urban quarter in the heart of the city. Sunderland City Council is proud to publish the Riverside Sunderland masterplan, which sets out exciting proposals for new homes, workspace, civic and cultural buildings, parks and open spaces.

Logon or register to see this image

Join us to hear about the Riverside Sunderland masterplan, how it has been shaped by the people of Sunderland and what happens next.
About this Event
Riverside Sunderland is a new urban quarter in the heart of the city. Sunderland City Council is proud to publish the Riverside Sunderland masterplan, which sets out exciting proposals for new homes, workspace, civic and cultural buildings, parks and open spaces.

In that first pic, is that what looks like roof top gardens above the bridges?
Is that part of the plans or just artistic licence?

In that first pic, is that what looks like roof top gardens above the bridges?
Is that part of the plans or just artistic licence?

I don't think the top of Primark currently looks like that, but looking at all the new buildings it does look like some sort of future green plans to grow stuff on the roofs

Back