Vaux site

I don't disagree, but as I've said there are plans for cafes within the park area and the extra connectivity brings extra footfall.

That's just plain wrong, it is all being developed.

It would be a pretty poor analogy as Herrington Park doesn't have a bloody great office block, a City Hall and two additional office developments (which are at least the same size as the Beam) plus retail and leisure units, bars and restaurants at ground level, a new 4 star hotel under construction and the HQ of the UK's biggest independent travel agent immediately adjacent to it. You claim to "just want the best for the city" yet you moan about everything that is suggested, it's not about "defeatist attitudes" it's about the fact that there has to be some practicality in the development of sites like Vaux. It's also worth remembering that this is all just on the back of one investor, more are likely to be looking and thinking "what's going on in Sunderland?" because believe me, the construction industry and wider industry in general certainly is doing that at the moment.

Yes, but they are being shuffled to a much more appropriate location. City Hall is being moved and will massively increase footfall in the city centre at lunchtimes - humans are lazy. A lass sat at her desk in the civic centre isn't likely, on a rainy Tuesday in February, to think "hhhmmm I think I'll walk to Marks & Spencer and get a nice prawn sandwich" but from the new location the same lass is much more likely to do exactly that. WRT the Eye Infirmary, it's current location means those that travel from as far afield as Teesside, County Durham and darkest Northumberland to use the facility don't do anything else but visit the infirmary then sod off. From the new location they are much more likely to think "well we've parked up now, shall we go do a bit shopping? or grab a coffee or a bite to eat" plus the Dr's and Nurses employed there will also be on the lookout for a prawn sandwich (well the Dr's can afford them anyway). Plus the sale of the land of the existing site of the Eye Infirmary is going to be a massive earner for the city, that is prime housing land and will go for a very tidy sum indeed, its a huge site, way bigger than the infirmary has ever needed. Bigger picture.
Good post that.

Read this today...

Not vaux site related but... This bit got my attention:

"In the longer term, this will include a more significant scheme of work to the northern entrance, delivering an impressive arrival point in the Central Business District of Riverside Sunderland. This new northern entrance will sit in a new public square and will be framed by the beautiful Elephant Tearooms and Mackie’s Corner that are springing back to life.”

So, poundshop being pulled down, maybe?

Read this today...

Not vaux site related but... This bit got my attention:

"In the longer term, this will include a more significant scheme of work to the northern entrance, delivering an impressive arrival point in the Central Business District of Riverside Sunderland. This new northern entrance will sit in a new public square and will be framed by the beautiful Elephant Tearooms and Mackie’s Corner that are springing back to life.”

So, poundshop being pulled down, maybe?
Certainly looking at the quotes. The pub being developed from JJB building would be key along with mackies corner (which looks class by the way) and the tea rooms. The fact work to start in weeks (hope thats right and not months or longer) and the quotes and conspicous lack of a scale model makes me cautiously optomistic. If it gets 4 platforms to realise potential and links up with Durham on ECM I'd be very happy.
Just one other thought. Investment has been gained up to now without any real serious private investment (l&g aside but that was via council). Could we see further investmen in the coming years from KLD directly or from the family/business contacts. The place is ripe for developent with land cheap and plentiful, may be wishful thinking but who knows? Investment in the region after a takeover eh, who'd have thought it ha ha.

Last edited:
well yes however 200,000sp ft of that is taken by the replacement civic centre. The key word there is replacement of existing offices. Realistically for new accommodation they’ve completed the beam and the two new legal and general buildings planned.....so three buildings amounts to
a “business district”? The rest is housing or parks. It doesn’t really amount to unbounded opportunity to bring jobs into the centre.....that it desperately needs.

As for merits with greenery......herrington park is big enough, save the centre for employment
Utter bollocks

Shouldve put the railway station there for me like
Unless you've a spare billion it wouldn't be practible. Would need to move track and lots of roads/buildings. Station could have moved up/down track but if plans happen and it gets a full redevelopment and platforms reopened it'd be a huge step in the right direction. Vaux is coming along and a mixed use is right idea imo. If things chance in future were not stuck with only one use and back to square one

The first article I've seen with positive comments on Facebook.

(Can't link to Facebook comments)

Warra load of utter tosh. It just proves they are desperate to fill the Vaux site with any old shite the can get their hands on. No plan, no vision, no f***ing clue! What happened to all the f***ing models of the vaux site? The sooner these twats are voted out the better!

Warra load of utter tosh. It just proves they are desperate to fill the Vaux site with any old shite the can get their hands on. No plan, no vision, no f***ing clue! What happened to all the f***ing models of the vaux site? The sooner these twats are voted out the better!

jesus christ man :lol: :lol:

Back