Vaux site

I get everything that you’re saying it makes sense. I agree it needs car parking but does it need to be that location? Putting it further down that road away from corner would mean those using that thoroughfare wouldn’t be greeted with that cheese grater monstrosity everyday. Until a time the site on the corner can attract better development......but as you say, we’ve missed that boat on everything and can’t compete with our regional neighbours so we shouldn’t even try to improve the place.

my point about the old town hall really represents ambition this place once had.......to the equivalent lack of it nowadays

It also represented the money that the place once had...could throw it at fantastic buildings. Just not the way anymore.

Last edited:

I think having a network of bridges would be a good thing

They’ll be good for matchdays and I’d imagine people working in the offices on the vaux site will park in the sheepfolds and walk across the bridge. The sheepfolds in my opinion would have been a better location for the MSCP given how close it is to the offices opposite. And would be well used for matchday parking. In fact the sheepfolds would be better for mixed leisure/ retail use rather than just homes......

That low footbridge would spell the end of any hope marine engineering at pallion shipyard so would further the case for a footbridge between university campus and tombola office which in my opinion generate great footfall to the city centre and link it to the harbour and beaches.

They’ll be good for matchdays and I’d imagine people working in the offices on the vaux site will park in the sheepfolds and walk across the bridge. The sheepfolds in my opinion would have been a better location for the MSCP given how close it is to the offices opposite. And would be well used for matchday parking. In fact the sheepfolds would be better for mixed leisure/ retail use rather than just homes......

That low footbridge would spell the end of any hope marine engineering at pallion shipyard so would further the case for a footbridge between university campus and tombola office which in my opinion generate great footfall to the city centre and link it to the harbour and beaches.

if the lower level bridge was a moveable bridge such as a bascule bridge then it should not stop a ship navigating the river, the main issue will be dredging the river to get to Pallion. I suspect there is still a lot to prove that shipbuilding is viable.

A bridge connecting at the university / Tombola offices would have to be the same construction or it to would block off use of the river more so due to the land level either side of the river. I think in order to get development along the river edge the two bridges solution at the lower level would be ideal but certainly one would be required. There is an argument for a single low level bridge to be located at either Galleys Gill (park setting and close to to City and more potential development land) and St Peter’s (pushes people to use river more along southern side). But either way a moveable lower level bridge could be a more architectural iconic bridge.

Also there is a large car park on sheepfolds (sol) already for people to use to come into the city centre and serve offices. Benefit of having MSCP on city centre side is that it could serve the city centre - theatre etc, and also people coming to the match arriving at city centre (albeit it is the periphery of the city centre) and then walking over, hopefully spending some cash in the city centre en route. If we build all infrastructure around the sol then chances are people will arrive at sol then immediately depart. Whether the location of the new MSCP will help drive footfall into city centre is anyone’s guess - suspect people will still continue to want to park as close to the city centre as possible.

if the lower level bridge was a moveable bridge such as a bascule bridge then it should not stop a ship navigating the river, the main issue will be dredging the river to get to Pallion. I suspect there is still a lot to prove that shipbuilding is viable.

A bridge connecting at the university / Tombola offices would have to be the same construction or it to would block off use of the river more so due to the land level either side of the river. I think in order to get development along the river edge the two bridges solution at the lower level would be ideal but certainly one would be required. There is an argument for a single low level bridge to be located at either Galleys Gill (park setting and close to to City and more potential development land) and St Peter’s (pushes people to use river more along southern side). But either way a moveable lower level bridge could be a more architectural iconic bridge.

Also there is a large car park on sheepfolds (sol) already for people to use to come into the city centre and serve offices. Benefit of having MSCP on city centre side is that it could serve the city centre - theatre etc, and also people coming to the match arriving at city centre (albeit it is the periphery of the city centre) and then walking over, hopefully spending some cash in the city centre en route. If we build all infrastructure around the sol then chances are people will arrive at sol then immediately depart. Whether the location of the new MSCP will help drive footfall into city centre is anyone’s guess - suspect people will still continue to want to park as close to the city centre as possible.

it doesn’t look like they factored in a retractable bridge at the low level which would nullify the use of pallion shipyard. so I was suggesting there’d be no need for ships to use the river as you’ve suggested dredging is an issue.......so a static footbridge at st.Peter’s would no longer be an issue as the strategy seems to be moving away from an “industrial river”. The land around the planned bridge seems mostly for housing so there isn’t much potential for growth thereafter.

my point about the car park at the sheepfolds is it’s proximity to the city centre will be around the same once the footbridge is open and negates the need to drive into the city centre. The stadium of light car park would be problematic as people purchase the car park spaces for matches and would clash with office workers.

it doesn’t look like they factored in a retractable bridge at the low level which would nullify the use of pallion shipyard. so I was suggesting there’d be no need for ships to use the river as you’ve suggested dredging is an issue.......so a static footbridge at st.Peter’s would no longer be an issue as the strategy seems to be moving away from an “industrial river”. The land around the planned bridge seems mostly for housing so there isn’t much potential for growth thereafter.

my point about the car park at the sheepfolds is it’s proximity to the city centre will be around the same once the footbridge is open and negates the need to drive into the city centre. The stadium of light car park would be problematic as people purchase the car park spaces for matches and would clash with office workers.

Fair point in respect to the images but believe they’ve stated that they’ve concentrated on the high level bridge to date and have clarified that they will work with Pallion ship yards to ensure navigation of vessels - I guess an option is to crane a section out of the bridge as required, may be cheaper than the cost and maintenance of a moveable bridge?

The issue with the MSCP car park at sheepfolds will be the programme of the bridge and the car park and I believe parking for the housing on Vaux is in the proposed MSCP. In terms of programme the Bridge will probably take 2 years to build, excluding design, consent, planning, funding etc car park probably 12 month to build excluding design etc...so people will need to use monkwearmouth bridge not that that is a hardship but may put people off.

I agree a footbridge between the university campus and the tombola office would be an asset. In addition to what you have stated in regard to footfall etc, I think it would open up development on the north side of the river for leisure and hospitality venues. I also think it would create a vibrant visual image of the river/city as there are a number of impressive buildings on either side of the proposed crossing.

I made that!😅. did it about a year and a half ago when I needed the site for a presentation so made that. there's a faint watermark of my name just above the table

the phone number is the echo office. i really liked the idea of someone in the echo office picking up the phone and hearing someone shout house and then hanging up.
I was the lad who posted it on Saturday 👍

I agree a footbridge between the university campus and the tombola office would be an asset. In addition to what you have stated in regard to footfall etc, I think it would open up development on the north side of the river for leisure and hospitality venues. I also think it would create a vibrant visual image of the river/city as there are a number of impressive buildings on either side of the proposed crossing.

exactly, it’s the best profile of the city towards the harbour

Its really happening which is great news, the people on the echo comments will have to find something new to say other then It won't ever happen
Culture House - £27.225m gross, £13.058m net (£14.167m external funding)

Creation of a new 80,000 square foot library and archive facility as an anchor attraction and focal point to the Central Business District, generating additional footfall and expenditure into the City. The building will incorporate indoor city square, adult library, children and young people’s library, learning zone, creative/making spaces, local history and archives, events space, café and outdoor space. It will be designed to the highest achievable sustainability requirements in order to minimise ongoing revenue costs and to meet Council objectives of being Carbon Zero by 2030. The project is subject to the successful outcome of a bid for external funding from the Future High Street Fund, with the outcome expected to be confirmed by the end of 2020. Area Outcomes / Benefits and Contribution to Strategic Priorities: Project will benefit the city’s residents, businesses and visitors via the provision of a new and improved facility which will provide access to enhanced educational and cultural services, increasing footfall in the city centre.

Last edited:
Its really happening which is great news, the people on the echo comments will have to find something new to say other then It won't ever happen
Culture House - £27.225m gross, £13.058m net (£14.167m external funding)

Creation of a new 80,000 square foot library and archive facility as an anchor attraction and focal point to the Central Business District, generating additional footfall and expenditure into the City. The building will incorporate indoor city square, adult library, children and young people’s library, learning zone, creative/making spaces, local history and archives, events space, café and outdoor space. It will be designed to the highest achievable sustainability requirements in order to minimise ongoing revenue costs and to meet Council objectives of being Carbon Zero by 2030. The project is subject to the successful outcome of a bid for external funding from the Future High Street Fund, with the outcome expected to be confirmed by the end of 2020. Area Outcomes / Benefits and Contribution to Strategic Priorities: Project will benefit the city’s residents, businesses and visitors via the provision of a new and improved facility which will provide access to enhanced educational and cultural services, increasing footfall in the city centre.

They'll be saying "How much?".

Back