VARguments

The second yellow card for Boly was the worst decision I have seen this season.

Doesn’t make sense that VAR can’t get involved as would have overturned it straightaway

The authorities would argue if you get involved for the second yellow then why not the first . I'm not saying it shouldn't bit ultimately it would mean it possibly intervening in all yellow card incidents

How can that prove the exact time it left the boot?
For DOGSO red cards only

Presumably, because it stops accelerating as soon as it longer being played as nothing is applying a force to it anymore. If you’re after the exact moment, you will be disappointed, but my understanding is that the sensor they used in the World Cup could get you to within 2 ms which is way more accurate than even a perfectly positioned assistant referee could possibly manage because our brains aren’t wired that quickly. The technology only needs to be better than the human to be worth using.
It's the first contact of the ball, not when it leaves the player. Aye the frame rate has an error of margin they have had thicker lines that can overlap to give some advantage to the attacker. If players are static then that error of margin in miniscule and people may twist about it being offside by a mm but many still don't know about the 'advantage' so it's not as close as it may look with the shite quality lines drawn on the pitch. I explained the lines thing in this post.

Offide Lines example LINK

Aye VAR is shite most of the time but it's still better to be a few mm either way rather than some of the huge and random offsides of the past. The old margin of error as it could be anywhere from an inch to yards with the debatable bit either side of the || that causes the issue with VAR.

Old margin of error
[------------------------||------------------------]

VAR margin of error
[-||-]

Last edited:
The authorities would argue if you get involved for the second yellow then why not the first . I'm not saying it shouldn't bit ultimately it would mean it possibly intervening in all yellow card incidents
Yeah guess that the difficulty and debate with it.

Just sending off after 23 mins when it’s the most clear and obvious mistake you could see after replay, is what VAR is for or at least should be?

To stop that thing happening and when it doesnt stop it happening it means the messages of putting clear and obvious mistakes that massively effect games right is kind of lost

But certainly get your point where does it stop

Last edited:
Both yellows could be reviewed (if need be as 1 may be an obvious yellow) so a red can't be given incorrectly. It's already shite if a player is incorrectly booked for his 1st as it isn't rescinded but he's got to change his game. This was an incorrect 2nd yellow and an example of how an incorrect yellow can be costly the knackers in the VAR setup meetings didn't have the sense to ask about such a scenario. It's probably the same knackers who brought in the Daylight Running Lights rule for the front lights on a car, not realising the obvious problem being that people won't have the rear lights on as the dashboard lights will fool them into thinking all is OK.

Yet again, the simple solution is to have the main ref in the video room to overlook the whole game and correct stuff quickly rather than VAR pissing about looking for "Clear and Obvious" evidence and then dragging the ref over to watch it for a 3rd review. He can also dish out missed cards for various reasons and it would change the mindset of many players who get away with loads.

Last edited:
Both yellows could be reviewed (if need be as 1 may be an obvious yellow) so a red can't be given incorrectly. It's already shite if a player is incorrectly booked for his 1st as it isn't rescinded but he's got to change his game. This was an incorrect 2nd yellow and an example of how an incorrect yellow can be costly the knackers in the VAR setup meetings didn't have the sense to ask about such a scenario. It's probably the same knackers who brought in the Daylight Running Lights rule for the front, not realising the obvious problem being that people won't have the rear lights on but the dashboard lights will fool them into thinking all is OK.

Yet again, the simple solution is to have the main ref in the video room to overlook the whole game and correct stuff quickly rather than VAR pissing about looking for "Clear and Obvious" evidence and then dragging the ref over to watch it for a 3rd review. He can also dish out missed cards for various reasons and it would change the mindset of many players who get away with loads.

How could a ref in a room correct stuff quickly? They still may need multiple looks from various angles. All this with the game still going on I take it? There's no simple solution to any of this

Yet the Authorities are looking at the possibility of changing this next season, according to the ex-Ref Mike Dean on Sky today.

Well that's up to them but it's just going to leave to more stops in play and controversies

I think Dean meant ( I could be wrong) but was watching on Sky as well, that second yellows that lead to reds will possibly be looked at next season by VAR and not all yellows, so hopefully that will have minimal effect on extra stops in plays and put some understandable wrongs made in real time by refs right.

Which is the principle of VAR as far as I understand.

However totally agree it’s never black and white and debates will always happen around this.

How could a ref in a room correct stuff quickly? They still any need multiple looks from various angles. All this with the game still going on I take it?
Aye they may need to watch some incidents a few times but you see VAR pissing about watching a replay for ages as they're looking for 'evidence' to get the ref to change his mind even though the decision could be made there and then upon review.

It's not all decisions that take ages as how many times have there been incorrect decisions that upon a replay or 2 you could correct, yet VAR still piss about yet still ignore quite a lot of decisions due to the C&O bar? This is the problem as the C&O bar is all over the place and it means a shit load of inconsistency as many decisions just get left as is yet in another game that decision is given correctly. The C&O is in place so they could leave the game as it was pre VAR and to appease the fans but it's just causing more shite than it's worth for me and very few are happy with VAR now.

Aye some decisions can be subjective but many are obvious but aren't corrected. The level of consistency would be higher than the 85% it is (I think someone hoyed in in a thread the other day) having the main ref in the video room. If a ref still can't decide after a few replays from a few angles then just leave it as is. Given how often the game stops and it being quicker than VAR then it would certainly be quicker than it is and have less controversial decisions. It would also sort out the incorrect/missed yellow cards also.

Last edited:
Well that's up to them but it's just going to leave to more stops in play and controversies
Todays decision on Boly had me wondering why they hadn't looked at it from the view the lads challenge on Boly was so bad and late it warranted a Red Card in itself. They could have deemed it an obvious error from that point of view thus rescinding his yellow. They rescind yellows following offsides etc.

How could a ref in a room correct stuff quickly? They still may need multiple looks from various angles. All this with the game still going on I take it? There's no simple solution to any of this
Todays would have taken 3 seconds and that’s including someone running down the clip the ref for being a turkey
Also surely if it’s not clear and obvious then the decision shouldn’t be looked at, when decisions are taking more than 30 seconds then it’s not clear or obvious

Last edited:
Its a flawed system ..always will be..its only as good as the people running it ..like watching a match in the pub with your mate and a tough decision arises, you think its 100% a foul , your mate doesn't ..so what decision do you give the ref ?

Back