VAR is going to ruin football

Status
Not open for further replies.
imagine thinking that an organisation with officials in jail for corruption are perfectly above-board with the technology that they've introduced.

how naïve can you get?
Are you saying the technology is deliberately faking the pictures?

You're a bit confused.

I could never get as naïve as you.

she's not even off her line! Great use of VAR. Use an angle that suits your argument and make a decision based off that. It's f***ing criminal and anyone defending this bollocks needs to have a word with themselves.

Logon or register to see this image

she did play by the laws.

what's your point now?

You're blind drunk. She's clearly not got one foot on the line. Well done.

Last edited:

You're a bit confused.

she clearly has. It's amazing what happens when you change the angle. Imagine thinking football can be decided by hand-selecting a camera angle to suit what you want to see.

You're a bit confused.

I'm saying that technology can be altered to suit an appropriate argument.

change the camera angle and you've got a totally different perspective.

I've proven that with two images that show a completely different story to the one that the VAR robots settled on. Which one is correct? Who knows?

it's wrong.

Last edited:
she clearly has. It's amazing what happens when you change the angle. Imagine thinking football can be decided by hand-selecting a camera angle to suit what you want to see.

I'm saying that technology can be altered to suit an appropriate argument.

change the camera angle and you've got a totally different perspective.

I've proven that with two images that show a completely different story to the one that the VAR robots settled on. Which one is correct? Who knows?

it's wrong.
You mean an angle that shows the true position rather than one that gives a false impression because of an extreme perspective? :rolleyes:

It's why the goal line camera is the best one to show whether the ball is over the line. This is not rocket science.

Which one is correct? The one that actually allows you to see where her foot is in relation to the line.

Last edited:
FIFA have obviously decided that the existing law (keeper can move along the line but not come forward) is to be enforced despite it being ignored for years and years. Just like they do with abusive language (automatic sending off but it never happens), just like the 6 second law is ignored, just like time wasting is rarely punished (see every opposition keeper last season at the SOL). This coincides with the VAR introduction which just about everyone was calling for but its not turning out to be what people expected/wanted.

Reactions: ATS
I like VAR in football. I also think the decision in the Argentina v Scotland game was correct. It was a crucial decision & VAR enabled a correct decision that would otherwise have been incorrect. I fail to see any legitimate counter argument.
Cant wait for a penalty shoot out at next years European championship lasting an hour as every goal is reviewed by VAR.

Or conversely a penalty shootout last an hour as the score is 50-50 as players now simply have to put it to one side to score.

Cant wait for a penalty shoot out at next years European championship lasting an hour as every goal is reviewed by VAR.

Or conversely a penalty shootout last an hour as the score is 50-50 as players now simply have to put it to one side to score.
This is not really a good reason to just ignore the laws. They may have to change the shootout to one more like in hockey.

This , of course, is the correct opinion.
So it's agreed then. VAR isn't going to ruin football.

I like VAR in football. I also think the decision in the Argentina v Scotland game was correct. It was a crucial decision & VAR enabled a correct decision that would otherwise have been incorrect. I fail to see any legitimate counter argument.

The tackle happened around 85 mins and the pen was finally settled at 90+4

A kick up the arse off 10 minutes on 1 decision man. I’d rather be robbed a few times a season with shit decisions than watch a ref look at a bastard screen for half the match. They can shove it up their f***ing hoop.

As far as I'm aware it has always been the law that the keeper is supposed to stay on his/her line until the ball is kicked. Hundreds of times previously they have shown replays of saves and said it should have been retaken because the keeper has moved forward, but the referees have almost always let it go.

Now the players are going to have to learn how to play by the laws of the game or they are going to get punished, and as it's VAR it's not going to depend on a referee deciding to enforce it.

Whether you are an inch or a yard in front of the line is irrelevant, it is trying to gain an advantage. A penalty is supposed to be a virtually certain goal because of a foul a few yards from goal.
This! Yet now people moan about it not being left to guesswork by the officials.

As I said elsewhere, imagine if that was England (or SAFC, if we get back up to the Premier League) instead of Argentina needing to equalise in the last minute of the World Cup Final (or goal needed to stay up in last game for SAFC or against Mags to win it). The keeper comes off the line and saves the penna but the officials missed them coming off the line. Would everyone be happy with it and just say "oh well, shit happens but we can have a bitch and moan later in the pub or on SMB about it to feel better" :lol:

How many penalties are taken where the keeper has a foot on the line? I've not seen the footage tonight but based on the above pictures it's ridiculous if the keeper was penalised for it. You can't just randomly apply a strict rule on a one-off occasion man.

I hate VAR, I'd much rather live with a bit of human error. As we can see VAR doesn't solve anything, it just changes the arguments.

Yet if it was against England in the Final, SAFC when away but on TV or even a team someone had a bet on while watching a game on TV they'd be twisting like fuck because the officials didn't see it in real time but they've seen it on a TV replay themselves! Oh the irony :lol:

Yet if it was against England in the Final, SAFC when away but on TV or even a team someone had a bet on while watching a game on TV they'd be twisting like fuck because the officials didn't see it in real time but they've seen it on a TV replay themselves! Oh the irony :lol:

You could say the same for a foul not given 50 seconds before a goal goes in. Is VAR gonna start giving them?

How many penalties are taken where the keeper has a foot on the line? I've not seen the footage tonight but based on the above pictures it's ridiculous if the keeper was penalised for it. You can't just randomly apply a strict rule on a one-off occasion man.

I hate VAR, I'd much rather live with a bit of human error. As we can see VAR doesn't solve anything, it just changes the arguments.
It's not random as it's the new rule change that came into affect for competition starting on/after June 1st ;) (I think that was the date)

When the ball is kicked, the defending goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot touching, or in line with, the goal line.

Q3: Why must the goalkeeper who infringes the Law at a penalty kick and causes the kick to be retaken, be cautioned (YC)?
If the goalkeeper moves early (or infringes in any other way) this can directly affect the outcome of the penalty kick so introducing a caution (YC) is consistent with the increased punishment for the kicker and should deter goalkeepers from moving early etc
Q4: Why is it not a caution (YC) for players who encroach early?
Encroachment does not directly affect the outcome of the penalty kick so is not as serious.

Bear in mind they can't technically commit the foul until the ball is in play, hence why both the keeper and encroachment rule came into effect at the same time.

Law 14 - The Penalty Kick

This is not really a good reason to just ignore the laws. They may have to change the shootout to one more like in hockey.

So it's agreed then. VAR isn't going to ruin football.
Why the hell should the game be radically changed on the back of something that is universally disliked by fans? The sole reason the sport exists in a professional capacity is because of the supporters.

Use var, but not to the detriment of the fast flowing nature of the game. It's clearly not working at the moment.

The truth often hurts.

Harsh. Probably silliest VAR decision...

...but can we not laugh a bit at Scotland, yet again, hilariously f***ing up the chance to get into a World Cup second round.

More football. Bring it on. The technology is there, so let's use it. Unless you prefer guesswork? If so, hard lines, I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back