Update on me daddy

She will do marra, I'm sure of it.
Although they make you feel like they are from another planet and you can't even speak to them as teens, lasses once grown up (about 19 for my oldset lass) really become Daddies girls. Proud as punch of my lass now and she treats me the same way my Mam used to treat my Grandad.
Lads are better when young, lasses come into their own as they grow up and aren't scared to show love and emotion.

Reminds me of the old saying a lad is a son till he gets a wife while a lass is a daughter for life. Quite true from lots if the posts and from watching family and friends.

Have they given you any more details about the heart failure? My dad was diagnosed as having 'heart failure' about 18 months ago but they said it's just a genetic term and he lives a perfectly normal active life. I would have associated heart failure with something serious but it's not necessarily.

Good news about the cancer
Sorry I missed this. Yes, apparently nobody’s heart functions at more than about 60%. My dads is functioning at about 30%. It’s not that unusual as you get older, or so they told us.

Good to see he's still fighting pet, nice little boost for him with the lads winning anarl, hopefully both can turn things around, the human spirit is something else! X

Sorry I missed this. Yes, apparently nobody’s heart functions at more than about 60%. My dads is functioning at about 30%. It’s not that unusual as you get older, or so they told us.
Stay strong janey, the hearts a strange one my mam developed a big heart murmur after her op and they were concerned about it and one day it just went and she was able to move on with her treatment. Fingers crossed you get better news in the future.

Stay strong janey, the hearts a strange one my mam developed a big heart murmur after her op and they were concerned about it and one day it just went and she was able to move on with her treatment. Fingers crossed you get better news in the future.
Thank you, hope your mam is coping okay xx

Good to see he's still fighting pet, nice little boost for him with the lads winning anarl, hopefully both can turn things around, the human spirit is something else! X
It certainly is, thank you xx

Thank you, hope your mam is coping okay xx

It certainly is, thank you xx
Third chemo down now, still gives her massive pains days later and she’s losing most of her hair now but only three more left now and she’s counting them down so she can book her holiday haha.

Third chemo down now, still gives her massive pains days later and she’s losing most of her hair now but only three more left now and she’s counting them down so she can book her holiday haha.
Having a holiday to look forward to booking will hopefully be a great incentive to get her through the last 3. Glad she’s nearly finished, it must be a huge relief for her xx

Great news about it not spreading. Just on this I know from my own experience of heart failure that although the normal range for the ejection fraction is 50-70 it's quite common for people to be alive when it's all the way down into single digits. So while the phrase "heart failure" may sound scary it's (sometimes!) not as serious as you'd think, and a reading of 30% isn't too low. It might turn out to be pretty meaningless. Best wishes to you both.

Great news about it not spreading. Just on this I know from my own experience of heart failure that although the normal range for the ejection fraction is 50-70 it's quite common for people to be alive when it's all the way down into single digits. So while the phrase "heart failure" may sound scary it's (sometimes!) not as serious as you'd think, and a reading of 30% isn't too low. It might turn out to be pretty meaningless. Best wishes to you both.
Whoops I didn’t comment before I posted.
Thank you for that it’s really reassuring in many ways. Xx

We got him home today, I’m glad to say, after being told it was probable, that the cancer hasn't spread.
That’s the good news.
The bad news is he also has heart failure.
I put that down to supporting Sunderland :). Even during the week in hospital he said “I might have to give the match a miss” :rolleyes::)
I’m now scared that because of the heart failure he won’t be able to have anymore chemo.

Chin up Janey. You and your dad have shown amazing courage and strength of character. Keep going you two and with the support and encouragement of all the well wishers on this board I'm sure you'll prevail.

@janey Heart failure is a scary phrase, but they can do a lot nowadays with medication / treatment etc. Good news on the cancer, stay strong hes in good hands

I believe here you’re on about ‘ejection fraction’, (measured in percentages and gauged with an echocadiogram) which gives an indication of how efficiently the ventricles (lower chambers of the heart) are pumping blood out to the lungs and the rest of the body.
Obviously those with CHF (see above) will have a compromised ability to do this so the percentage is lower and needs to be watched but by no means cause for freaking out if managed correctly.

I believe here you’re on about ‘ejection fraction’, (measured in percentages and gauged with an echocadiogram) which gives an indication of how efficiently the ventricles (lower chambers of the heart) are pumping blood out to the lungs and the rest of the body.
Obviously those with CHF (see above) will have a compromised ability to do this so the percentage is lower and needs to be watched but by no means cause for freaking out if managed correctly.
I am yes, I’d forgotten what it was called until @haway mentioned it. :)
Thank you, it just sounds scary I suppose xx

Exactly, he said in the hospital on Wednesday “I might” not will “have to miss the match on Saturday” I don’t think it was the best place to be if you have heart failure :)

:lol::lol:
My dad was diagnosed with angina and heart problems at the age of 43. Two years later he had a bypass. He lived 25 years after the diagnosis. I know your dad is older but I hope this helps. Glad he is home.

Back