Unsolved mysteries.

Van der Sloot is bizarre. Having arrogantly got away with murder once he couldn't help but try again. Last I heard he had married a prison cleaner and had a baby with her.

Also remember reading about him spending some time in Asia and working in a scooter rental place. The implication was it would have given him access to young female travellers and with his record it could merit some investigation.

I think the van der Sloot marriage/baby has to do with avoiding extradition (from Peru?)... he is still wanted for questioning in other countries about other unsolved crimes (Chile I think?) and the USA still wanted to speak with him about Aruba incident or incidents.

3x more per head of capita. Why is difficult to answer? State and societal willingness to end life more culturally accepted? More Uber libertarian meaning more people believe they can do what they like? Next to no mental health support?

is it not just because thats where most serial killer movies are based

is it not just because thats where most serial killer movies are based
I don’t really buy the link between films and violence although it probably is a factor in some. Generally difficult to ascertain whether individuals that kill are more interested in that sort of thing or that sort of thing makes individuals interested in killing. A lot of serial killers transpire to have had abusive histories and often frontal lobe damage, not sure how that plays in to 3x more per capita in one country though.
Isn’t every mystery unsolved?
A lot that are still referred to as mysteries have pretty much been explained though.

Last edited:
Gives me the creeps when people just disappear like. Some of the most baffling ones I've heard about:

Jason Jolkowski - 19 year old lad sets off from home at 10:45am to meet a co-worker at a high school half a mile away, never turns up at the school (proven by CCTV), never seen again. Most likely he got into someone's car or was lured into someone's house along the way and things went south from there for whatever reason. A 6ft tall grown man (with apparently no enemies, not involved with gangs, drugs etc) disappearing from a decent area in the middle of the day in such a short time frame is pretty bizarre though.

Asha Degree - 9 year old girl gets up in the middle of the night, during a thunderstorm, packs a bag and leaves her house for reasons unknown. Between 3:15am and 4:15am she is spotted by two different motorists walking down a nearby highway - both reported this to the police at the time. There has been no sign of Asha since. Over a year later her bag was discovered buried on some land around 26 miles away from her home. There are two mysteries here really; why she decided to leave her house during the middle of the night and what happened next. Most popular theory is some sort of predator was grooming her and lured her out - no evidence for this though, plus she was from a small community and had no access to the internet so you'd think something would have come up by now if this was the case, the list of suspects can't be very big. Also why would a predator get her to leave her house in the middle of the night and walk 2-3 miles up a highway to meet - seems like a hell of a risk. Very strange one.

Andrew Gosden - 14 year old lad from Doncaster decides to bunk off school and take the train to London for reasons unknown. He is spotted on CCTV at Kings Cross station but never seen again. Theories are that he'd arranged to meet someone in London who took advantage of him, although according to his family Andrew did not use the internet and did not even have an email address. Another theory is that he went to London to commit suicide - a sonar search of the Thames turned up nothing - or he went to London to go to a concert or something behind his parents back and came to harm at some point. No evidence has been found to support any of these theories though.

Last edited:
The Jon Benet Ramsay case is another odd one, did the son have anything to do with it and are the parents protecting him.

'Lots of strange things with this, and the strangest thing of all is that their daughter is in the house with them lying dead. It's a big house, but surely any parent would search every possible nook and cranny in the house looking for their daughter. We're not talking three miles of rabbit holes here.

But, the hand writing doesn't look like that of any family member to me, apart from I don't think the son's handwriting was ever made available for comparison.
Nikki Allan.

'Not fascinating, just incredibly sad.

Whoever did it was more than likely a local who would have been seen at different points in nearby locations that night. Yet it seems that person went unnoticed.

Last edited:
'Lots of strange things with this, and the strangest thing of all is that their daughter is in the house with them lying dead. It's a big house, but surely any parent would search every possible nook and cranny in the house looking for their daughter. We're not talking three miles of rabbit holes here.

But, the hand writing doesn't look like that of any family member to me, apart from I don't think the son's handwriting was ever made available for comparison.
Nikki Allan.

'Not fascinating, just incredibly sad.

Whoever did it was more than likely a local who would have been seen at different points in nearby locations that night. Yet it seems that person went unnoticed.
I honestly don't think her mam, dad or brother did it. I think it was some peado weirdo who'd been following her pageant stuff.

I honestly don't think her mam, dad or brother did it. I think it was some peado weirdo who'd been following her pageant stuff.

On balance, I reckon you're right. I've seen handwriting samples of the Mother and the letter on the stairs and they're really nothing alike and the claims for them being similar just don't make any sense when looking at the handwriting comparison. The son outside chance, but most likely someone from outside of the family preying on a small child.

What creature the Loch Ness Monster is. A particular interest because my mam saw it way before it became a tourist industry in its own right.

It's clearly not a monster or dinosaur or whatever. 99% of sightings you can put down to tricks of the light, wave effects, boat wakes, floating objects, other animals or birds, fakery, or people generally seeing what they want to see (my ex was particularly guilty of that, utterly convinced that the v wake by Fort Augustus was not one of the cruise boats which was clearly in view).

It still leaves a good number of sonar traces, photos, and cinefilm / vid clips that all point to a family of large, unidentified aquatic creatures. Seeing as the onus of proof is with the likes of me rather than anyone sceptical, I hope someone stupidly rich will one day waste money to find out what it is.

What creature the Loch Ness Monster is. A particular interest because my mam saw it way before it became a tourist industry in its own right.

It's clearly not a monster or dinosaur or whatever. 99% of sightings you can put down to tricks of the light, wave effects, boat wakes, floating objects, other animals or birds, fakery, or people generally seeing what they want to see (my ex was particularly guilty of that, utterly convinced that the v wake by Fort Augustus was not one of the cruise boats which was clearly in view).

It still leaves a good number of sonar traces, photos, and cinefilm / vid clips that all point to a family of large, unidentified aquatic creatures. Seeing as the onus of proof is with the likes of me rather than anyone sceptical, I hope someone stupidly rich will one day waste money to find out what it is.
An old QI tonight on Dave mentioned that DNA analysis of the water suggested some kind of big eel.

Last edited:
Remember watching a programme a while back about the manchester canal "pusher". Insane the amount of bodies that have been pulled out of those canals over the years. Surely can't all have been pissed/drugged up?

The bit that stayed with me was one of the victims parents describing a phone call from him the last night he was seen, saying they heard him "screaming and howling" before the phone went dead. Really creepy

decent article here

Last edited:

Gives me the creeps when people just disappear like. Some of the most baffling ones I've heard about:

Jason Jolkowski - 19 year old lad sets off from home at 10:45am to meet a co-worker at a high school half a mile away, never turns up at the school (proven by CCTV), never seen again. Most likely he got into someone's car or was lured into someone's house along the way and things went south from there for whatever reason. A 6ft tall grown man (with apparently no enemies, not involved with gangs, drugs etc) disappearing from a decent area in the middle of the day in such a short time frame is pretty bizarre though.

Asha Degree - 9 year old girl gets up in the middle of the night, during a thunderstorm, packs a bag and leaves her house for reasons unknown. Between 3:15am and 4:15am she is spotted by two different motorists walking down a nearby highway - both reported this to the police at the time. There has been no sign of Asha since. Over a year later her bag was discovered buried on some land around 26 miles away from her home. There are two mysteries here really; why she decided to leave her house during the middle of the night and what happened next. Most popular theory is some sort of predator was grooming her and lured her out - no evidence for this though, plus she was from a small community and had no access to the internet so you'd think something would have come up by now if this was the case, the list of suspects can't be very big. Also why would a predator get her to leave her house in the middle of the night and walk 2-3 miles up a highway to meet - seems like a hell of a risk. Very strange one.

Andrew Gosden - 14 year old lad from Doncaster decides to bunk off school and take the train to London for reasons unknown. He is spotted on CCTV at Kings Cross station but never seen again. Theories are that he'd arranged to meet someone in London who took advantage of him, although according to his family Andrew did not use the internet and did not even have an email address. Another theory is that he went to London to commit suicide - a sonar search of the Thames turned up nothing - or he went to London to go to a concert or something behind his parents back and came to harm at some point. No evidence has been found to support any of these theories though.

They are fascinating and unnerving in equal measure.

The Asha Degree one is really odd (and really depressing) - a nine year old girl is walking along a highway between 3 and 4am in the pouring rain and heavy wind, and two drivers see her, one even tries to approach her but she runs off into woods - and neither think to call the police? The thing about the photo found around some stuff of hers of another black girl around her age is very strange, too.

Think Maura Murray's already been mentioned in the thread. Some others here.

Last edited:
I think the van der Sloot marriage/baby has to do with avoiding extradition (from Peru?)... he is still wanted for questioning in other countries about other unsolved crimes (Chile I think?) and the USA still wanted to speak with him about Aruba incident or incidents.

This was possibly the initial idea, unluckily for him the kid will be in its mid 20's when he finally gets out in 2038 and Peru have already agreed to extradite him to the US.

Sadly he may only face fraud charges at that point but it must be some comfort to the Holloway family that as things stand he won't be free for 20+ years.

Back