Uniteds possible replacement for ETH

Southgate will be an horrendous club manager as already proven. He gets an easy ride being England manager. I would be glad to see the back of him for England as I think he's far to defensive/negative, considering the talent we currently have.
He has got us to more semi finals and finals than any other England manager.

So why do people not rate him? Best England manager in recent times. But for some misplaced penalties (who hasn't done that in their lives?) he would have won us silverware.
Does that make him so different?

Penalties are a lottery. With the players at his disposal there should be a plan A, B and C to ensure it doesn't go that far. May as well flip a coin.

I have very little time for Man United but I wouldn't wish him on them. Imagine him in charge for an entire league campaign. His last league experience was the international nations league and we got relegated

He has got us to more semi finals and finals than any other England manager.
And he’s probably got the best crop of young english players ever, compared to most England managers. He’s been so lucky also. When he has got us to the semis or the recent final, we were very fortunate with our draws IIRC.

Mental how many people think Southgate has done bad with England. We went from being knocked out by Costa Rica and Iceland, to getting to Semi Finals and Finals. But he's done rubbish apparently 😂😂😂.

It's now at a point where if we win a tournament, people will insist it's "in spite of Southgate" rather than give him credit.
And he’s probably got the best crop of young english players ever, compared to most England managers. He’s been so lucky also. When he has got us to the semis or the recent final, we were very fortunate with our draws IIRC.
As I say, he cannot win. Everything he does well is lucky, everything he does poor is because he's shite.

Last edited:
I'm a critic of him but we didn't mess up penalties which isn't his fault he would have won one
He messed up the entire psychology/plan whatever it was for those penalties by brining on players specifically to take them who ultimately failed. He should have believed in the players he trusted to play the majority of the game not over think it trying to be clever

If ETH wins the FA cup he’ll keep his job. Unfortunately for him United won’t win it until City get all their trophies taken off them in a couple of years time

Can’t see it being Southgate tbh, even if United do actually want him I get the impression he is going to step back from the pressure of managing

I reckon it will be Potter

So why do people not rate him? Best England manager in recent times. But for some misplaced penalties (who hasn't done that in their lives?) he would have won us silverware.
Does that make him so different?
The PL set up now provides ANY England manager with a conveyor belt of top class, tactically literate, technically proficient, super fit athletes to a degree that English football has never seen before. We’ve almost always had the occasional top player on a worldwide scale, sometimes even as much as a loose handful but never this many.
All the manager/head coach has to do is pick their XI and match the tactical acumen of his opposite number. He’s failed at this spectacularly through timidity and poor ingame decision making. He’s f***ing up in a manner only matched recently by Roberto Martinez.
Plus there’s been a distinct lack of quality around in the traditional super powers of the game during his reign. Italy have failed to qualify twice for major tournaments. Brazil are a joke, Germany in all sorts of internal disarray, Spain in transition, Belgium and Portugals golden generations are well past their peak etc etc. Only France have probably more strength in depth than England atm yet people are still happy with SFs and QFs.

It’s unambitious to be happy with GS and it actually lets the current squad down tbh.

Don’t ask me who I’d suggest as that’s not my job. I’d imagine the FA aren’t overly happy with him dwindling away our current potential but they’re probably stuck for a name themselves.

Plus there’s been a distinct lack of quality around in the traditional super powers of the game during his reign. Italy have failed to qualify twice for major tournaments. Brazil are a joke, Germany in all sorts of internal disarray, Spain in transition, Belgium and Portugals golden generations are well past their peak etc etc. Only France have probably more strength in depth than England atm yet people are still happy with SFs and QFs.

If you're saying that France have more strength in depth than England, they were the team who knocked England out of the last tournament? So, surely it isn't the embarrassment you seem to think it is? Maybes we were just beaten by a team with more quality than us, even though we played very well on the day?

As for other tournaments - it wasn't a SF/QF, it was a final we lost. And Southgate cops some fair criticisms for that, but we lost on penalties, the finest of margins. To try and pain that tournament as a failure is just bias, plain and simple.

To WC18, when we got to the semi finals. The idea that team went loaded with unbelievable talent is, frankly, a lie. Our midfield was Trippier, Young, Lingard, Henderson and Deli Ali. I assume pre-tournament you looked at that and thought "we should definitely win this whole thing" 😂😂😂.

This idea that Southgate has been rubbish for England is just disingenuous. He's done significantly better than every England manager since Alf Ramsey.

And, seeing as you'll say this is an unprecedented era of quality English players...... Erikson and Capellos first team was just as loaded in midfield and attack, but they also have five CBs and a LB who would get into the current side. And they got as far as a few QFs.

Its not as easy as it looks.

Back