Uncle Ben's rice firm to scrap brand image of black farmer

I remember covering things like the Indian partition and the likes of that.
I remember sitting watching the fillum Zulu in one RE class (fck all to do with re mind) and then discussing it in the next re class.

When did you leave?

Didnt do history for GCSE so would have covered WW1 around 90-93

Not a single historical moment that included a black person?
"The outbreak of the First World War saw a great response from the Empire. A total of nearly 8,586,000 men were raised for military and naval service. Twenty per cent of volunteers were from Africa, the Indian subcontinent and the Caribbean, with the vast majority coming from India"

Maybe you weren't listening
I left in 1991 and we learnt about slavery, most of our GCSE history was about Germany and USA before that French Revolution there isnt much space for British history. People interested in history will know about or read history but lets be honest most people apart from history geeks like me couldn't give a shit about history wether its white or black history

In fact the only black person to feature at school in all of my time was in Geography, which had a photo of an African woman with her tits out, covered in a lesson about Nomadic pastarolists

Has anyone asked black people what they think about Aunt Jemima brand and Uncle Bens its part of black culture too

In fact the only black person to feature at school in all of my time was in Geography, which had a photo of an African woman with her tits out, covered in a lesson about Nomadic pastarolists

Pretty much same for me. Although the English class below the one I was in did study a book which was about racism in America.

No, but I wonder if that tells a story of my lack of education around issues of this type - because I’m white and that, I’ve not really learned a lot of black history and why this kind of shit might be important.

Just because I don’t seethe problem, doesn’t mean it’s not one.

That’s kinda the whole f***ing issue here. It’s time white people stopped being the deciders of what’s history and what’s not. We need to start looking at things from the perspective of other people and asking them.
Late to the thread but when i saw the title i was expecting at least 4 or 5 pages of the left this and the right that before there would be an actual post that made sense for everyone, fuck me this has to be post of the year, if you are not a teacher please look into starting and fuck the comps teach at primary and help the next generation learn how to grow the fuck up and not think they have to gravitate to one side or the other but actually think for themselves

Has anyone asked black people what they think about Aunt Jemima brand and Uncle Bens its part of black culture too

Its interesting to note there's quite a few videos on youtube from black people clearly not happy about what is going on at the moment, however I haven't seen a single one on mainstream tv, now I might have miss them, and I'm sure if they were on tele someone will come along in a minute to let me know.

Its interesting to note there's quite a few videos on youtube from black people clearly not happy about what is going on at the moment, however I haven't seen a single one on mainstream tv, now I might have miss them, and I'm sure if they were on tele someone will come along in a minute to let me know.
There are loads on You Tube, its as if the mainstream media have this impression that all black people have the same view on politics😉 and no one dissents from that one view. Seems a bit condascending😉Bit like Joe Bidens recent comments. Some black people not happy that 'white' folks have taken over BLM for their own agenda and some just disagree with the whole concept of it. I wish Malcolm X was still around to give his thoughts on the matter. Now he loved the 'white liberal'😉

I do care that it's been hoyed in the river.
It's not up to a baying mob to decide which statues or memorials they decide we are allowed to see.
You say yourself, we should educate the fuller picture. How do we do that when the subject has been censored out of sight?
The statue should have been put on display in the slave museum. It should have been used to educate future generations about the man, warts and all.
It's not up to the baying mob to dictate what they want us to know

If it isn't up to the baying mob about who pull down statues it is then therefore mustn't be up to the baying mob which statues continues to stand.
I am not against any statue going in a museum actually.
all I am asking is review of the history curriculum we teach in school.

If it isn't up to the baying mob about who pull down statues it is then therefore mustn't be up to the baying mob which statues continues to stand.
I am not against any statue going in a museum actually.
all I am asking is review of the history curriculum we teach in school.
I'm sure theres logic in there somewhere

Somewhere

I always thought uncle toms ‘could’ have some link to the slavery era in the US only because of ‘uncle tom’s cabin’. Hadn’t looked into it beyond that and can’t remember buying it. Fair enough if they want to rebrand it.

never heard of the other product at all.

Back