ULEZ

As individuals you may as well do nothing. If it absolves your conscience then it has done a job but it won't make any difference.

If the problem is individual consumption then the only course of action I see is rationing. If it is changes on a huge scale then that is up to governments.

So yes, I can do nothing.
You ain’t bothered but bothered enough to tell people you ain’t bothered, 👍

You ain’t bothered but bothered enough to tell people you ain’t bothered, 👍
There is nothing i can do about this existential threat so I'm happy to carry on with life and deal with the consequences when they arrive. probably not in my lifetime.

I'm a vegan because the planet has already been trashed to produce billions of animals for consumption and I don't want to be a part of that. However, that is not much of a sacrifice and I did not want to be part of the cruelty that is performed so people can eat dead animals.

Are you happy to be part of that? something that has done far far more damage to the environment than any climate change so far. or are you denying mass consumption of meat is harmful?

I certainly hope I don't talk to anyone on here like a piece of shit.

Where have I said I don't care about the environment.
Moving away from plastics and deforestation is something I deeply care about.
But as I have said nobody will convince me that Ulez is anything other than a tax grab.
It will be when he brings pay per mile in which will include EVs in a few years time. ULEZ my arse. If it is successful and we stop the polluters then he loses revenue and hence needs to replace it. How?, well let’s tax everyone who drives in London instead. For a labour mayor that little fucker is shameful and is acting like a Tory.
I can’t abide the arrogant little fucker.

It will be when he brings pay per mile in which will include EVs in a few years time. ULEZ my arse. If it is successful and we stop the polluters then he loses revenue and hence needs to replace it. How?, well let’s tax everyone who drives in London instead. For a labour mayor that little fucker is shameful and is acting like a Tory.
I know you don't like Thatcher but I always had you down as a Tory voter rather than Labour.

Has Khan expressed the aim to tax EVs or is that just speculation on your part? Will he even be around as mayor when they replace petrol/diesel cars?

Last edited:
I completely agree, an awful bloke.

I know you don't like Thatcher but I always had you down as a Tory voter rather than Labour.

Has Khan expressed the aim to tax EVs or is that just speculation on your part? Will he even be around as mayor when they replace petrol/diesel cars?
:):) Funny how people can be so wrong. I’ve been branded right wing possibly because of my Brexit views such is the stereotyping which goes on in here. Never judge a book and all that:cool:

Yes Khan has. It’s all out in the open. He’s already got people employed at TFL working on it

Has he got the power to stop it ?

Has he got the power to stop it ?
Good question. The expansion of the ULEZ is him enacting Tory policy albeit with one arm tied behind his back so that he can continue to feed his monster which is TFL. He could have at least railed against it in protest at being forced to do it. As far as I am aware the rest is his doing.

There is nothing i can do about this existential threat so I'm happy to carry on with life and deal with the consequences when they arrive. probably not in my lifetime.

I'm a vegan because the planet has already been trashed to produce billions of animals for consumption and I don't want to be a part of that. However, that is not much of a sacrifice and I did not want to be part of the cruelty that is performed so people can eat dead animals.

Are you happy to be part of that? something that has done far far more damage to the environment than any climate change so far. or are you denying mass consumption of meat is harmful?
Fair play to you and I’m certainly eating a lot less meat as you are right it is a massive factor In damaging the environment ( I have just done a climate change educational course and what you say is backed up with facts) not to mention animal welfare.

However to my general point; we all can do something to tackle climate change and improve the environment in our own little way whilst we tackle the worlds big polluters.

Right wing nut jobs denying climate change and vandalising the ULEZ equipment is trumpesque and should be rightly called out.
:):) Funny how people can be so wrong. I’ve been branded right wing possibly because of my Brexit views such is the stereotyping which goes on in here. Never judge a book and all that:cool:

Yes Khan has. It’s all out in the open. He’s already got people employed at TFL working on it
I have no strong views on Brexit but the right on here assume anyone opposing Brexit is a leftie.

I was talking to a ‘business’ Tory recently who many will know and he was a staunch Remainer as it’s not good for his business.

Last edited:
Good question. The expansion of the ULEZ is him enacting Tory policy albeit with one arm tied behind his back so that he can continue to feed his monster which is TFL. He could have at least railed against it in protest at being forced to do it. As far as I am aware the rest is his doing.
It's not his, when Johnson was mayor I don't remember it being described as his. Identifying it as Khan's feeds the grubby stereotype of dictator. If he had shut down TFL during Covid the government would have forced him to restart. TFL is the kind of transport network the rest of the country needs. It is expensive but London would be in a deadlock without it.

ULEZ is a direct result of Conservative policy and forced as a condition of TFL funding by them.

All local government has had funding cut and responsibilities increased, and been under sustained attack from central government for decades. More than Birmingham (albeit they have specific circumstances that tipped them) will be bankrupt in the next two years. Society's problems present themselves on the town hall doorstep, not 10 Downing Street.

Fair play to you and I’m certainly eating a lot less meat as you are right it is a massive factor In damaging the environment ( I have just done a climate change educational course and what you say is backed up with facts) not to mention animal welfare.

However to my general point; we all can do something to tackle climate change and improve the environment in our own little way whilst we tackle the worlds big polluters.

Right wing nut jobs denying climate change and vandalising the ULEZ equipment is trumpesque and should be rightly called out.
I have no issue with people eating meat. There isn’t a chance that a few vegans can change the world so animals are cruelly exploited. Just like I have no issue with people who don’t care about climate change because the world isn’t changing anytime soon.

It's not his, when Johnson was mayor I don't remember it being described as his. Identifying it as Khan's feeds the grubby stereotype of dictator. If he had shut down TFL during Covid the government would have forced him to restart. TFL is the kind of transport network the rest of the country needs. It is expensive but London would be in a deadlock without it.

ULEZ is a direct result of Conservative policy and forced as a condition of TFL funding by them.

All local government has had funding cut and responsibilities increased, and been under sustained attack from central government for decades. More than Birmingham (albeit they have specific circumstances that tipped them) will be bankrupt in the next two years. Society's problems present themselves on the town hall doorstep, not 10 Downing Street.
That’s what I have said. He is enacting Tory policy, but he could have been more vocal in saying how his hand is being forced with the expansion. Instead he has manipulated data to make the case for expansion so as far as I am concerned he is in cahoots with them. He even got bollocked for how misleading some of his data was. Pay per mile is his doing. Funding of TFL and in fact what TFL is and its purpose needs to become a big discussion across London as it growing and growing into an unpopular monster for many. It does some good things and bad things in my opinion.

That’s what I have said. He is enacting Tory policy, but he could have been more vocal in saying how his hand is being forced with the expansion. Instead he has manipulated data to make the case for expansion so as far as I am concerned he is in cahoots with them. He even got bollocked for how misleading some of his data was. Pay per mile is his doing. Funding of TFL and in fact what TFL is and its purpose needs to become a big discussion across London as it growing and growing into an unpopular monster for many. It does some good things and bad things in my opinion.
TfL is utterly critical to London being an economic powerhouse of the country. Defunding it or clipping its wings would be the most economically irresponsible action made in this country since Liz Truss. It is the model that should be followed across every UK city, not something that should be questioned.

The country needs a grown up conversation about how we fund public transport and the benefits it brings to the economy. Proper regulation of buses and rail plus guaranteed capital and revenue funding from central government would be revolutionary for the UK. This would be the real carrot to getting people out of their cars. Proper devolution to the cities to raise revenue through their own means would also be beneficial, e.g. congestion charging. That stick is easier to hit people with when there's an alternative.

Once this disgrace of a government are out on their ear and the culture war bollocks settles down, there's going to be a lot to do and fix. The talk this week of focusing on towns not cities, planning for the motorist etc isn't serious governance, it's just a desperate bit of electioneering. Towns are reliant on their cities performing well, and putting motor traffic at the top of the agenda is the number one way to grind a city into gridlock.

Bit of a rant this and slightly off topic but I think I needed it off my chest. Feel like I'm living through a fever dream lately.

TfL is utterly critical to London being an economic powerhouse of the country. Defunding it or clipping its wings would be the most economically irresponsible action made in this country since Liz Truss. It is the model that should be followed across every UK city, not something that should be questioned.

The country needs a grown up conversation about how we fund public transport and the benefits it brings to the economy. Proper regulation of buses and rail plus guaranteed capital and revenue funding from central government would be revolutionary for the UK. This would be the real carrot to getting people out of their cars. Proper devolution to the cities to raise revenue through their own means would also be beneficial, e.g. congestion charging. That stick is easier to hit people with when there's an alternative.

Once this disgrace of a government are out on their ear and the culture war bollocks settles down, there's going to be a lot to do and fix. The talk this week of focusing on towns not cities, planning for the motorist etc isn't serious governance, it's just a desperate bit of electioneering. Towns are reliant on their cities performing well, and putting motor traffic at the top of the agenda is the number one way to grind a city into gridlock.

Bit of a rant this and slightly off topic but I think I needed it off my chest. Feel like I'm living through a fever dream lately.
I don’t disagree with you at all. I just don’t like the way Khan uses TFL for his own purposes at all.

Ladies and gents welcome to the world of woke. Lost interest at TFL. It's as if the lad worked in an office there. Bet he thinks TFL can't operate without him

Back