Uk Office or US Office ?

UK every day of the week
Classic tv , brilliant scripts & characters
Tried the US version & couldn’t get away with it
Trash
If you have only watched the first few episodes of the US version, give it another go. When it is trying to make a remake of the Ricky Gervais version in the first season, and Michael Scott is a nasty piece of work, it is rubbish. But over time it finds its feet and becomes something else entirely. They are very different shows, that happen to be set in offices.

I don't think they can be compared as better and worse. The UK version is a satirical character study written by 2 blokes and is 13 tight episodes long. The yank version went on for ten years and was written by a big team of writers with a much greater density of gags. It's quality was maintained right up to the point Steve Carrell left.

The UK office is a seminal sitcom that did change the comedy landscape, but it is also a little bit overrated. People forget that the type of fly on the wall documentary it was satirising made up every third show on English TV at the time, and it wasn't even the first programme taking the piss out of the genre.

If you have only watched the first few episodes of the US version, give it another go. When it is trying to make a remake of the Ricky Gervais version in the first season, and Michael Scott is a nasty piece of work, it is rubbish. But over time it finds its feet and becomes something else entirely. They are very different shows, that happen to be set in offices.

I don't think they can be compared as better and worse. The UK version is a satirical character study written by 2 blokes and is 13 tight episodes long. The yank version went on for ten years and was written by a big team of writers with a much greater density of gags. It's quality was maintained right up to the point Steve Carrell left.

The UK office is a seminal sitcom that did change the comedy landscape, but it is also a little bit overrated. People forget that the type of fly on the wall documentary it was satirising made up every third show on English TV at the time, and it wasn't even the first programme taking the piss out of the genre.
I just think generally we have a different sense of humour
US would never get UK Office
Friends apart I don’t find US humour amusing

I just think generally we have a different sense of humour
US would never get UK Office
Friends apart I don’t find US humour amusing
I agree with the first two sentences. UK office is actually a bit of a cult show in the US, but only among a small minority.

But Friends as the pinnacle of US humour? Seriously?

US version is brilliant and the best out of the two for me. Once you get past the pilot series it opens into one of the best sitcoms out there. Easily, in my top 3 boxsets. Very easy to watch & just an absolute journey.

It gets to a point where almost every single person in the office has their own backstory & satire to go with the series. The UK & US version are vastly different. If you switched off in the first series after seeing the UK version, begin at series 2, give it a good few episodes and you won't be disappointed.

Back