UFC/MMA Thread - 2020

Yup, most people I have heard from are most looking forward to the co main, and then you've obviously got heavyweights in the main, which will generally appeal to a wider audience.

Aye. Main event is one of those where anything could happen. Blaydes is a good wrestler with heavy hands but a basic stand up game and Volkov is a decent kickboxer with decent takedown defence.

You then look at what ESPN and Top Rank are offering with their boxing, which directly follows the UFC tonight, and it's a 1/200 vs 16/1 main event where the B side has lost 13 fights, and 3 in a row, and I can't find any odds for any of the other 3 or 4 fights, which just shows how important they are.

A pathetic return in general from Bob, and Dana was slating the ratings the other day. I liked his interview when he cheekily said 'we're returning with competitive fights, not all combat sports are doing the same,' :lol:

Some of Hearn's back garden plans from late July through to late August don't sound bad to be fair, although nothing has been officially announced.

You then look at what ESPN and Top Rank are offering with their boxing, which directly follows the UFC tonight, and it's a 1/200 vs 16/1 main event where the B side has lost 13 fights, and 3 in a row, and I can't find any odds for any of the other 3 or 4 fights, which just shows how important they are.

A pathetic return in general from Bob, and Dana was slating the ratings the other day. I liked his interview when he cheekily said 'we're returning with competitive fights, not all combat sports are doing the same,' :lol:

Some of Hearn's back garden plans from late July through to late August don't sound bad to be fair, although nothing has been officially announced.

That's it mate. I know you're a boxing lad but the UFC tries to match fights evenly which I'm sure you're impressed with.

That's it mate. I know you're a boxing lad but the UFC tries to match fights evenly which I'm sure you're impressed with.

Yeah, definitely. I'm certainly getting more into it and enjoying the actual in ring (or in octagon) stuff more - their build up and production is really good, and while my knowledge isn't there yet in terms of putting on an acca with relative 'perceived' confidence (ha), it is class looking at a card of 10-12 fights and knowing that a lot of them really are pick'ems.

I know it's not completely perfect, and some fighters will always complain, but the fewer weight classes and only one champion per class is a lot more appealing than having the masses that exist in boxing, and that's not even counting your interim, regular, diamond, franchise champions, and people ducking and diving between weight divisions, and vacating belts.

Yeah, definitely. I'm certainly getting more into it and enjoying the actual in ring (or in octagon) stuff more - their build up and production is really good, and while my knowledge isn't there yet in terms of putting on an acca with relative 'perceived' confidence (ha), it is class looking at a card of 10-12 fights and knowing that a lot of them really are pick'ems.

I know it's not completely perfect, and some fighters will always complain, but the fewer weight classes and only one champion per class is a lot more appealing than having the masses that exist in boxing, and that's not even counting your interim, regular, diamond, franchise champions, and people ducking and diving between weight divisions, and vacating belts.
I've been watching it for close to two decades and my knowledge level still isn't upto putting a confident acca on. 😂

A couple of betting upsets in the main prelims. Jaynes (5/2) beat Camacho in 41 seconds in a fight which was originally supposed to be an early prelim, but ended up on BT Sport at 11pm, and then Tecia Torres (23/10) with a comfortable 30-27 UD over Brianna Van Buren. I've listened to a preview show from someone called the THE MMA GURU on YouTube for the past few week (since Nunes-Spencer) and he was quite confident of a Torres win, and that BVB was someone that he thought the UFC were wanting to push, but probably not ready for Torres - wish I listened, ha. I probably could get behind BVB, but she didn't look the best there.

I'll watch the featured prelim and the main card in the morning.
I'm looking forward to seeing Roosevelt Roberts fighting in the first fight on the main card. Has alot of potential and is fighting a proper experienced veteran. The co-main (Burgos vs Emmet) should be a good fight as well.

The prelims last week were fun. Main card wasn't upto much though.
Have you watched it yet mate?

Last edited:
A couple of betting upsets in the main prelims. Jaynes (5/2) beat Camacho in 41 seconds in a fight which was originally supposed to be an early prelim, but ended up on BT Sport at 11pm, and then Tecia Torres (23/10) with a comfortable 30-27 UD over Brianna Van Buren. I've listened to a preview show from someone called the THE MMA GURU on YouTube for the past few week (since Nunes-Spencer) and he was quite confident of a Torres win, and that BVB was someone that he thought the UFC were wanting to push, but probably not ready for Torres - wish I listened, ha. I probably could get behind BVB, but she didn't look the best there.

I'll watch the featured prelim and the main card in the morning.

Have you watched it yet mate?

No mate but I've seen the results. Co main was good fun I've read.

Aye. Sometimes happens with the wrestlers where they go safety first.

Yeah, I saw Dana slating him a bit in post fight press conference, which was a bit harsh as he just did what he had to do, but I guess from Dana's POV, he'll be really keen to convert general sports fans in this on-going period, especially boxing fans who might have been waiting for the Top Rank card to start, and that particular fight didn't exactly set the pulses racing. I'll definitely still be recording it next week though.

I was also very surprised that there were no posts on here since mine at 1am. Thought a fair few would have been watching live with a decent card on paper and a 1am start rather than 3am.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw Dana slating him a bit in post fight press conference, which was a bit harsh as he just did what he had to do, but I guess from Dana's POV, he'll be really keen to convert general sports fans in this on-going period, especially boxing fans who might have been waiting for the Top Rank card to start, and that particular fight didn't exactly set the pulses racing. I'll definitely still be recording it next week though.

I was also very surprised that there were no posts on here since mine at 1am. Thought a fair few would have been watching live with a decent card on paper and a 1am start rather than 3am.

I rarely watch live these days. I do fancy the first fight island card live though.

I want to watch the Till card live too.

Last edited:
Painful to watch. Lad had nothing left.

Can’t stand the ufc live.
advert, break, advert, sponsor, some other bollocks and advert.

they have a strict timetable and won’t bring fights forward.

I record and generally watch next morning skipping past the sponsored by whoever the fuck bollocks (with a bacon sarnie).

Last edited:
I rarely watch live these days. I do fancy the first fight island card live though.

I want to watch the Till card live too.

Yeah, think I'll always record (at that time) because there's often a lot of filler. I usually watch the Preview show on BT on a Friday, and a lot of that is repeated before the fights to build them up, so can just FF that, plus I'll be watching the preview show next week for Poirier-Hooker, so I just FF'd that this morning, and obviously all the ad breaks as well.

I'm a bit disappointed all the Fight Island regular shows are designed for the US market, although not surprised. It was confirmed that they all range from 1-3am main card over here. Thought they might have had the Till fight as a one off to cater for the European market, especially as that would be much more reasonable local time as well, instead of them fighting like 4 or 5am local, but it is what it is.

I record and generally watch next morning skipping past the sponsored by whoever the fuck bollocks (with a bacon sarnie).

Drysdale was out of order there mind.

Aye, I was saying similar in my last post. You obviously can't place any in play bets, or chat about it (live anyway), but the advantages definitely outweigh the negatives at that time anyway. However, I'm sure there's often at least 2 or 3 discussing it live on here.

Yeah, think I'll always record (at that time) because there's often a lot of filler. I usually watch the Preview show on BT on a Friday, and a lot of that is repeated before the fights to build them up, so can just FF that, plus I'll be watching the preview show next week for Poirier-Hooker, so I just FF'd that this morning, and obviously all the ad breaks as well.

I'm a bit disappointed all the Fight Island regular shows are designed for the US market, although not surprised. It was confirmed that they all range from 1-3am main card over here. Thought they might have had the Till fight as a one off to cater for the European market, especially as that would be much more reasonable local time as well, instead of them fighting like 4 or 5am local, but it is what it is.

Aye its annoying but it's just the way it is. When Bispings was champion he defended his title against Dan Henderson at the Manchester arena but they still had the main card at 3am to suit the American PPV audience.

Aye its annoying but it's just the way it is. When Bispings was champion he defended his title against Dan Henderson at the Manchester arena but they still had the main card at 3am to suit the American PPV audience.

They did, but when Kabib fought Poirier last September it was at a much more convenient time for us (I didn't watch it, but read that), obviously Arab coin would have likely played a big part in that the negate the US market, but it clearly can be done. However, the US will always be the main market as you say, and it's a case of putting up with it / getting used to it. That'll be why the British fighters are generally not very well known here. I mean just going off Twitter followers, you look at some of the leading UK fighters like Till with 200k, Calderwood 84k, Edwards 35k, Diakese 16k etc. I don't like him, but if Hearn was putting on MMA shows over here on Sky, at prime time, then he would make them more household names, but then again, the one big banner, rather than multiple significant promoters like in boxing, does ensure you will get more fights you want to see, even if it is a ball ache to watch the fights live (even when they are actually figthing in the UK).

Back