UFC/MMA Thread - 2020

Gilbert burns has caught corona so that fights off, it seems like a lot of Brazilians are catching it

I wonder if they offer masvidal stupid money to take the fight, I’d not be surprised if he still doesn’t though

Just saw that Burns news now. Not a huge surprise with someone in the gym testing positive the other day, but still a blow to the card. It's not as bad for us, as it's still like 3am and on regular BT Sport, but obviously those in the US will be getting less bang for their PPV buck, unless they can add something else quickly, but Usman apparently didn't get on the flight, so they'll probably just rearrange that fight for another show, and boost a prelim to the main card. Still decent from our perspective though (as it stands).

Just goes to show though, anything can happen to sports in this era. Loads of tennis players testing positive, a fair few wrestlers, Top Rank have lost a few boxing bouts to it, so you can't massviely plan for things. Imagine if someone got to the final of the US / French Open (tennis) and then tested positive and had to withdraw.

Last edited:
Just saw that Burns news now. Not a huge surprise with someone in the gym testing positive

Eh. It is very surprising and very stupid of Burns.

Both Usman and Burns are trained by Henri Hooft, Hooft withdrew his services for both fighters as he didn't want to take sides so he told them they need to find their own camps - Usman opted for Trevor Whittman alongside the likes of Gaethje, Dober etc whilst Burns opted for Greg Jones' Team Wink.

There are no other positive tests in the Team Wink camp so he was just stupid.

As of typing UFC have opened negotiations with Masvidal for the 4th time now, the UFC have refused to pay him the $2 million paycheck which led to Burns getting the title shot who was the cheap option but now it's either pay Masdival what he wants or lose their main event for the biggest fight card of the year, he must be well and truly laughing now.

Both Usman and Burns are trained by Henri Hooft, Hooft withdrew his services for both fighters as he didn't want to take sides so he told them they need to find their own camps - Usman opted for Trevor Whittman alongside the likes of Gaethje, Dober etc whilst Burns opted for Greg Jones' Team Wink.

As of typing UFC have opened negotiations with Masvidal for the 4th time now, the UFC have refused to pay him the $2 million paycheck which led to Burns getting the title shot who was the cheap option but now it's either pay Masdival what he wants or lose their main event for the biggest fight card of the year, he must be well and truly laughing now.

I'm not really clued up about gyms and trainers and what not mate, I just saw a couple of days ago on Twitter that an Aung La Nsang (never heard of him) tested positive, and loads were assuming that he would have been in contact with Burns recently and that his position on the card would have been in doubt, therefore I was kind of expecting him to be pulled, so it wasn't a surprise to me, from what I had read.

Masvidal must be getting some coin for this like, reckon Usman will do anything to avoid the type of trading war he had with Covington and will just wrestlefuck him to a bore victory

But harsh saying he was stupid to catch it

Looks like UFC have paid the $2 million Masvidal demanded. He's on his way to Vegas to be tested.

Funnily enough if the UFC wasn't so tight to begin with in the first round of negotiations then Burns wouldn't of even been in the equation. It's his own fault, you have a world title shot incoming with the strictest conditions possible with 7 covid tests over a 7 day period you stay well away from the public domain.

Masvidal must be getting some coin for this like, reckon Usman will do anything to avoid the type of trading war he had with Covington and will just wrestlefuck him to a bore victory

Considering Dana couldn’t meet Masvidal’s pay demands to originally make this fight, he must’ve been gutted to go cap in hand and offer him silly money to rescue the fight.

Back