Uber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Been like that for years...
hasn't everywhere like. only in certain cities and countries. it isn't available in London. I think it's only available in places where uber customer uptake is poor (for example up north, where people will swear by their local firm even if they are robbing them blind)

Ok. Where does the surge profit go?

Surge pricing transparency: a tale of two users
Uber’s surge pricing algorithm assesses a premium on the price that passengers pay, and the wages that drivers earn. Uber’s general policy is that if a passenger pays 2x the cost of a fare, the driver earns 2x in wages. However, a recent email conversation between an Uber driver and an Uber Customer Support Representative suggests that a passenger may be charged a different surge premium than what the driver earns, though I can’t say whether this is a widespread practice. One driver noticed that their passenger was charged 2.1x surge, but they were paid 1.6x surge. The driver was frustrated because surge is supposed to be the same amount for the driver and the passenger, and instead, Uber effectively increased its commission on the transaction. I was surprised to see the Uber CSR admit that this surge pricing discrepancy was intentional, rather than an error, because this two-sided surge practice hasn’t been communicated (or communicated widely) to drivers.

Surge pricing transparency: a tale of two users
Uber’s surge pricing algorithm assesses a premium on the price that passengers pay, and the wages that drivers earn. Uber’s general policy is that if a passenger pays 2x the cost of a fare, the driver earns 2x in wages. However, a recent email conversation between an Uber driver and an Uber Customer Support Representative suggests that a passenger may be charged a different surge premium than what the driver earns, though I can’t say whether this is a widespread practice. One driver noticed that their passenger was charged 2.1x surge, but they were paid 1.6x surge. The driver was frustrated because surge is supposed to be the same amount for the driver and the passenger, and instead, Uber effectively increased its commission on the transaction. I was surprised to see the Uber CSR admit that this surge pricing discrepancy was intentional, rather than an error, because this two-sided surge practice hasn’t been communicated (or communicated widely) to drivers.
It's a blog like so I take it with a pinch of salt

I find some of the criticisms of uber weird to be honest:

- zero hours contracts and no employment benefits - well as we saw on this thread, taxi drivers in Sunderland pay to work for the local firms
- surge pricing when busy - it's there to get drivers nearby and it's a choice for the consumer still. It's better than there being no taxis nearby. At least you get that choice. They can't magic up drivers
- fare setting - well this is currently done by the local authority, and most people would argue it's too expensive. I'd never get a black cab, but uber sets it at a level that makes sense for me (and hence I'm spending money on taxis to someone rather than the bloody night bus)

Now granted their corporate culture looks somewhat unpleasant. But they are far from unique there

It's a blog like so I take it with a pinch of salt

I find some of the criticisms of uber weird to be honest:

- zero hours contracts and no employment benefits - well as we saw on this thread, taxi drivers in Sunderland pay to work for the local firms
- surge pricing when busy - it's there to get drivers nearby and it's a choice for the consumer still. It's better than there being no taxis nearby. At least you get that choice. They can't magic up drivers
- fare setting - well this is currently done by the local authority, and most people would argue it's too expensive. I'd never get a black cab, but uber sets it at a level that makes sense for me (and hence I'm spending money on taxis to someone rather than the bloody night bus)

Now granted their corporate culture looks somewhat unpleasant. But they are far from unique there

I've used them... if Uber want to supplement a fare for me then feel free.

no qualms with them just cant see how it is a sustainable business.

at some point the plug on cash could be pulled. loads of invested to far to pull out now though....

in for a very long haul and may never see their casj again

even if it turns a profit in next 3 years it isn't going to be mammoth profits

I've used them... if Uber want to supplement a fare for me then feel free.

no qualms with them just cant see how it is a sustainable business.

at some point the plug on cash could be pulled. loads of invested to far to pull out now though....

in for a very long haul and may never see their casj again

even if it turns a profit in next 3 years it isn't going to be mammoth profits
I think the investors are banking on the driverless cars to be the real money spinner, but that's a long term punt and you have other established players like Google hammering away for their slice of the market.

We do a lot of the platform development for all sides so hopefully should come out of it quite well, but it's definitely a way off before the coin will start flooding in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back