Uber

Status
Not open for further replies.
One advantage with uber is that it's all card so the government should be able to tax earnings properly.

Can't sling it in a back pocket
What if you have £20 in cash and nowt in the bank and you need to get somewhere? The station app gives you a choice of both.

I'm clearly missing something

Traditional taxi model:
Chad pays to work for the company, £40 a night it seems. Chad keeps any fares he takes. Chad doesn't get any holiday or employment rights. The fares Chad gets are set by the local council

Uber model:
Chad doesn't pay anything upfront, but Uber take a % of any fare he takes. Chad doesn't get any holiday or employment rights. The fares are set by Uber.

So the difference here, apart from the remuneration methodology being different is that the fares set by Uber is less than that set by the council? At some point this has to arbitrage out, as taxi drivers won't work for Uber? Also, if Uber take a %, then surely they want higher fares? To a point where people don't stop taking taxis. It's in their, and the drivers best interests.

What am I missing?

and that's why the drivers have to work 100 hours to make a living.

probably only do two of them fares an hour... so say £9

Uber takes a cut he has to run a car and the fuel. so making five an hour at most

Loads wouldn't do it if that is all they are making.

Last one I got was £6 and as soon as he dropped me off he had another job straight away with a surge.

How much they make will be impacted more on the car they are driving.

Last edited:
I'm clearly missing something

Traditional taxi model:
Chad pays to work for the company, £40 a night it seems. Chad keeps any fares he takes. Chad doesn't get any holiday or employment rights. The fares Chad gets are set by the local council

Uber model:
Chad doesn't pay anything upfront, but Uber take a % of any fare he takes. Chad doesn't get any holiday or employment rights. The fares are set by Uber.

So the difference here, apart from the remuneration methodology being different is that the fares set by Uber is less than that set by the council? At some point this has to arbitrage out, as taxi drivers won't work for Uber? Also, if Uber take a %, then surely they want higher fares? To a point where people don't stop taking taxis. It's in their, and the drivers best interests.

What am I missing?
Surely uber is your own car aswel? So you'll have maintenance costs, insurance etc to pay i presume?

Surged x10 after last nights terror attack around London Bridge. So yeah a scum company I do agree.
It surged to 2.1x and uber stopped the surge as soon as they found out what was going on

How do surges work? I thought they'd be automatic, based on number of bookings. Sure they could've overridden that manually like.
They did. As they did in manchester

See uber are getting flak for raising the price of their fares after the london attack.
Kind of makes you wonder.

It was turned off at 00.17 over 2 hours after the incident began, one normal £7 fare from Knightsbridge to Victoria was £40, think that is a bit more than x2.1 surge.

Uber Eats have just opened in Newcastle and have won the contract to deliver McDonalds UK wide. They are here to stay.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back